Hello everybody.

Mike $

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Mike, I have started learning to play ukulele and am saving up to buy my first Ukulele.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, and welcome to UU. May I offer words of advice? Well, I'm going to, anyway! Don't go for a cheap ukulele. You will soon wish you had bought something better and will have to start saving again. You don't have to go for a really prestigious uke, either. There are many very decent instruments to be had at mid range prices. The second hand market can yield very good value for money, too.

Enjoy!

John Colter

Welcome to UU, Mike!

I would advise you to try a few instruments in person. You'll get an idea which size you prefer. Sound and intonation can be difficult to judge when you're playing on a uke that has strings going out of tune. Take a tuner when you're out trying. Ask somebody else to play it so that you can listen as part of the audience.

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the UU Forum.

There a lots of ways to go with buying a ukulele. And just as many proponents for each.

I play tenors exclusively. The size suits me best, and I like the sound. Some guitar players prefer the Baritone. The size and tuning is similar to what they are used to. The concert size is a great size for many. It has a little deeper voice than the tenor and is a little easier for many to play. The soprano is the traditional Hawaiian sounding uke. "Loud and brash" is how I think of them. But that's just me. The Ukulele company Kamaka, which has been making ukes for over 100 years, calls the soprano their "standard" size ukulele.

They are all fun to play. I hope you find one you enjoy soon. There are lots of reviews of beginner ukes online. Some are sponsored by the uke companies, some are not and are the reviewer's objective opinion.

So welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ukantor and Ms Bean, I have plenty of time to think about the best bang for my buck. I will definitely be buying used and will try to play as many as possible. I am hoping to save up $200-$300 for this. I am leaning towards a Tenor, but will consider a concert if it sounds and plays well. I probably won't have enough saved up for a year or so due to the economy, but I figure I can get a start using my uke-strung guitar until I have enough for a nice one.

A Tenor will give you more range. A cut away will give you easier access to all of the range a given instrument offers.
Depending on hand size and fat fingers, a concert’s smaller size and more compact frets may be a better (or worse) choice.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ukes. $200 to $300 should purchase a decent, playable instrument that will
STAY IN TUNE.

Good luck

Welcome to UU Mike.
Many cities now have a ukulele library lending program. 2 of my beginner students are using them. It's a FREE way to find out if you'll enjoy playing ukulele or not.

Aloha and welcome to UU, Mike! We’re glad to have you here! This a fantastic community and a great place to gather with other ‘ukulele enthusiasts!

Top Bottom