My $10 (or less) all-solid ukulele turns out to be all-laminate :)

clear

Reaction score
I bought this ukulele 3 months ago, tuned it to test that it works, and packed it back into its gig bag and left it in the garage until today.

So, today, I discover that it is an all-laminate instrument. It doesn't even have solid top and bottom (which is easy to see), so I can't imagine it having solid sides. I guess I packed it away a little too quickly 3 month ago.

Why did I think it should be an all-solid instrument? Well, it's because both the manufacturer and store sites list all-solid specs; and they are not small players in the ukulele/music business.

I plan to have some fun with this ukulele; and I think I might just post my very first ukulele review too (kind of in the same way I had wanted to post an NUD post, just wanted to wait for an interesting moment).

So, guys, remember to check out your ukulele more fully before packing it away. I know there are some here with too many ukuleles!!!

Is that a typo? ($100?) Did you really think that you were buying a new, all solid wooden ukulele for less than $10? How much did you think the HPL ones cost?

John Colter

For $10 or less, can you make it sound alright?

Let's see. The strings are still stretching. Intonation is better than my Kala KA-S, which was $80.

Is that a typo? ($100?) Did you really think that you were buying a new, all solid wooden ukulele for less than $10? How much did you think the HPL ones cost?

John Colter

Not a typo. $10. If I have went for the "all-solid" linden wood (me too, I have no idea what that is) instrument, I could have gotten one for -$10 (yes, that's a negative sign there).
Anyway, I'm pretty the store will give a full refund (even though it's been 3 months; I mention it to let you know the store is reputable); but I won't be returning it.

Is there more to the story? Of course : ) but, I'll write it up in the review.

I'd like to see the actual listing for this $10 uke. For $10 I wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't made out of very stiff cardboard! :D

You have to know the lingo (trickery? deception?) when you look at ukulele listings. Unless it specifically says "solid _____" you should count on it being a laminate. The price is usually a good indicator of what you're actually getting.

ex.
- all mahogany = laminate mahogany
- all solid mahogany = solid top/back/sides
- solid spruce top with rosewood back and sides = solid spruce wood top with laminate rosewood back/sides

I’m curious about the brand. $10 is unheard of in 2020 for even the worst ukuleles. If they are saying “solid linden wood” and not “linden wood,” then they are lying. Most companies don’t like admitting laminate for some reason.

Looking forward to a review and a brand name.

Hello Mike,
How's the strap thing working out?

After using a strap for a few days, I realized that it's not helping my play.
Maybe after I gain more experience, I'll find it more useful.

Yes, $10 is pretty cheap for an all-solid instrument. I don't even think you can beat it with your Aliexpress order :)

Here's a quote from the Guitar Center "Features" section: "solid mahogany top, back, and sides".
(yes, I bought it at GC; I'm not ashamed to say so. I like GC; they have good service. They've opened boxes for me to check new guitars; and return/exchange is very easy.)

I'm actually not disappointed because I didn't buy this ukulele for the ukulele.
I just thought it was funny so I posted. Here's the listing:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/eMedia/Mahogany-Ukulele-Pack-with-Lessons-Natural-1500000282972.gc

I’m curious about the brand. $10 is unheard of in 2020 for even the worst ukuleles. If they are saying “solid linden wood” and not “linden wood,” then they are lying. Most companies don’t like admitting laminate for some reason.

Looking forward to a review and a brand name.

Oh, linden wood? That's their negative $10 ukulele.

I'm talking solid mahogany here. :)

Hello Mike,
How's the strap thing working out?

After using a strap for a few days, I realized that it's not helping my play.
Maybe after I gain more experience, I'll find it more useful.

I like it a lot when I need it. I've been using it when I take my online lessons and when I know I'll be practicing/playing a lot of songs where I know there are a bunch of barre chords or quick changes. I've been participating in a weekly Zoom group where most participants are beginners and we're playing songs with easy chords so I don't need it or use it then. The majority of my playing time is without a strap but I'm glad to have one and enjoy it when I use it.

Yes, $10 is pretty cheap for an all-solid instrument. I don't even think you can beat it with your Aliexpress order :)

Here's a quote from the Guitar Center "Features" section: "solid mahogany top, back, and sides".
(yes, I bought it at GC; I'm not ashamed to say so. I like GC; they have good service. They've opened boxes for me to check new guitars; and return/exchange is very easy.)

I'm actually not disappointed because I didn't buy this ukulele for the ukulele.
I just thought it was funny so I posted. Here's the listing:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/eMedia/Mahogany-Ukulele-Pack-with-Lessons-Natural-1500000282972.gc

I see that the mahogany ukulele pack is currently listed at $59.95 which would still be a great price if what you were getting actually had a solid mahogany top back and sides. It clearly states that it is "solid mahogany" throughout the listing so it sounds like you'd definitely have standing against them if you wanted to make a case. After 3 (+?) months they may balk but if you only paid $10 and you think you got that value with what you did receive.....

My current AliExpress order certainly can't beat $10 but it would beat $59.95! ;) The listing for the uke I bought read like it was written in Chinese and then put through an online translator so the resulting English leaves a lot to be desired and in places it doesn't even make sense. From the description I think it might be possible that it has a solid spruce top but I'm already prepared to receive it and find that it's an all laminate which would be fine too. From the many pictures it's a handsome uke and looks to have a quality build or at least a build quality that would be greater than or equal to the $51 total ($42.66 b/4 taxes and shipping) I paid for it. I'm looking forward to getting it into my hands!

Good luck with the $10 uke!

Last edited:
Ok, I am new here, so I will take the heat for saying it. I have been searching through ukulele listings at least an hour a day for the last month and have not even seen anything close to $10. You cannot even get a toy for $10. Lots of strings are more than $10. If this gets me kicked of the forum, fine, but I am calling BS on this one.

For $10 or less, can you make it sound alright?

I wanted to give a sound sample, but the strings were stretching like crazy (it is essentially new).
Finally they've stabilized:

https://soundcloud.com/user-919961063/emedia-ulu-mahogany-ukulele-sound-sample

I think it sounds borderline ok; I mean, it'll pass for ukulele sounds. The strings aren't projecting volume very consistently (I'm also not very consistent, so combined, it makes a bad-sounding ukulele even worse). However, it is cheap and better than no ukulele. AFAIK the best sounding (for the money) is the Kala KA-SSLNG.

Ok, I am new here, so I will take the heat for saying it. I have been searching through ukulele listings at least an hour a day for the last month and have not even seen anything close to $10. You cannot even get a toy for $10. Lots of strings are more than $10. If this gets me kicked of the forum, fine, but I am calling BS on this one.

To get this ukulele, I actually paid $30. Guitar Center had a sale, discounting this package down to $30 from $60.

I didn't buy it for the ukulele; I bought it for the eMedia software (which costs $40 all by itself). So, this package gives me the software, ukulele, another instructional DVD, strings, gig bag, etc. for $10 less. I guess I shouldn't have titled the thread "$10 or less"; instead, I should have titled it "Free ukulele".

I see that the mahogany ukulele pack is currently listed at $59.95 which would still be a great price if what you were getting actually had a solid mahogany top back and sides. It clearly states that it is "solid mahogany" throughout the listing so it sounds like you'd definitely have standing against them if you wanted to make a case. After 3 (+?) months they may balk but if you only paid $10 and you think you got that value with what you did receive.....

My current AliExpress order certainly can't beat $10 but it would beat $59.95! ;) The listing for the uke I bought read like it was written in Chinese and then put through an online translator so the resulting English leaves a lot to be desired and in places it doesn't even make sense. From the description I think it might be possible that it has a solid spruce top but I'm already prepared to receive it and find that it's an all laminate which would be fine too. From the many pictures it's a handsome uke and looks to have a quality build or at least a build quality that would be greater than or equal to the $51 total ($42.66 b/4 taxes and shipping) I paid for it. I'm looking forward to getting it into my hands!

Good luck with the $10 uke!

I paid $30 for the package, so I still have your Aliexpress ukulele beat :)
However, this ukulele is definitely not solid wood, so maybe you'll stall have the better deal. I shall await your NUD thread.

Overall, I think this is not a bad deal even at $60, so I want to post a review to let others know.

If it's not a gas or a liquid it must be solid. Uke is as described.

Yeah, what he said. Also, I guess that a laminate made of layers of mahogany scraps with a veneer of better mahogany might also qualify as solid mahogany in a very shady way. Caveat emptor, but at $30, still fun to own.

If you paid $30, why is your title saying $10?

But yes, the store listing certainly uses the word solid. If it's laminate (which I am certain it is for the price) then that is a lie.

What stores normally do to mislead is use terms like 'all mahogany' or 'full mahogany' - if they don't use the word solid then it won't be. To use the word solid and it not be is disgraceful..

But then, I am not at all surprised, considering it is Guitar Center.

Nice review. The software & DVD do justify the price. With a free uke to boot. Well done.

Thanks.

At first, I tried learning the ukulele with my old guitar books, but I found that to be very difficult without a teacher. I also didn't enjoy learning from the Internet videos. When I saw that eMedia is more interactive and has adjustable tempo, I decided to give it a try. Then just when I was about to order it, the Guitar Center sale came along.

I'm happy with the eMedia; it's taken me from not knowing to being able to play easy ukulele songs in about 3 months. Honestly, I classify myself as musical instrument special needs... so no small task that eMedia's able to teach me. Once the COVID19 is over, I plan to get a teacher; but, right now, eMedia is working great.

Top Bottom