Food Forum

Mike $

Reaction score
Is this the place where everyone shares recipes and talks about food? I haven't seen any yet and was just wondering.

I'd ask one of the moderators - if lots of recipes got posted under one thread title it will get very messy very quickly - they may be able to start a 'Food' specific forum under 'General' - worth a try at least.

Agreed. A Food specific forum would be best. Recipes popping up all over would not. And if they are all in one thread, you'd have to weed through them all to find what you want.

I'm also into cooking, but with the state of the UU forum of no continuous moderators, I don't think any changes will be made. Your idea of searching with the preface of [FF] sounds like a reasonable workaround.

I'm lactose intolerant, so I often modify recipes to accommodate that.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I just followed your lead and posted a [FF] recipe, but search does not find any. I changed my title to start with RECIPE and found mine and yours. It looks like the brackets don't work. What if we preface the title with either RECIPE or FOOD FORUM?

Long time no replies. Any recent recipes? I've been gifted a slow cooker and have no idea what to cook there. Any recipes recommendations?
There are slow cooker and Instant Pot books that I’ve found helpful, especially one by The NY Times food writer Melissa Clark. Whether you use either a fast or slow cooker, cheap & tough cuts of meat come out really nicely.

Long time no replies. Any recent recipes? I've been gifted a slow cooker and have no idea what to cook there. Any recipes recommendations?
I have given up my slow cooker for the Instant Pot but I loved my Art of the Slow Cooker by Andrew Schloss. Take away message: yes you can throw everything in, turn it on and walk away and have dinner in 6-8 hrs, but the best flavours happen when you first carmelize the vegetables and meat. We basically lived on that book every winter for years' worth of dinners.

Yes I need some good recipes for chicken. I tired of eating it raw. Seriously. should be good!
What sorts of things do you like? I've been doing most of my cooking from Serious Eats lately, with a few America's Test Kitchen bits worked in.

I've been working my way through Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Wok: Recipes and Techniques to build a repertoire of tasty ways prepare chicken and veggies. His Halal Cart Style Chicken and Rice is another favourite. During summer I tossed a couple of his Spatchocked Chickens on a smokey grill. With cold weather I'll probably move that one inside.

My I-don't-want-to-think-about-it option is to toss a couple of pre-packaged and frozen pieces in the sous vide, rice in the rice cooker, steam some veggies, and then hit everything with a bottled sauce or mustard or such.

I rarely pull out the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot except for soup (my wife uses them more).

A more appropriate Instant Pot recipe for the now-departed-Helga is Instant Pot Spam Fried Rice

I'm not vegan but recently, separately for chili and for 15-bean soup, I used a bag of "Beyond Meat" breakfast crumbles in place of ground beef, solely because of the lower sodium content. Taste and texture were really great. Meat aside, I've learned in recent years that, aside from dark red kidney beans, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, cumin and chili powder, the main "must have" ingredient to end up with great chili is beef broth, and it should have no sugar in it.

The 15-bean soup recipe is on the back side of the bag for "Hambeens" brand dried beans. My only modification was to add cooked white rice as a thickener, the fake beef crumbles, and two tablespoons of Frank's hot sauce. If you like onion as much as I do, there is no reason not to add a second one or, better yet, one white and one red/ purple. Recipe calls for only one onion. Grrrreat!

This is my most recent recipe. Its good hot or cold.

One 240gm tin of chick peas or beans. Put them into a bowl or pan or leave them in the tin. Add two table spoons of smooth peanut paste and mix it up until smooth. Heat if you want it hot. There is enough salt in it already so you may not need any more salt. Add some spices and herbs if you want them.

Very simple and a great lunch if you are on the road.

I think you could use almond paste if you have a peanut allergy.
Huh. That sounds really interesting. Especially if you dash a bit of spicey in there too, so it's like spicey peanut sauce. Mmm.

What sorts of things do you like? I've been doing most of my cooking from Serious Eats lately, with a few America's Test Kitchen bits worked in.

I've been working my way through Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Wok: Recipes and Techniques to build a repertoire of tasty ways prepare chicken and veggies. His Halal Cart Style Chicken and Rice is another favourite. During summer I tossed a couple of his Spatchocked Chickens on a smokey grill. With cold weather I'll probably move that one inside.

My I-don't-want-to-think-about-it option is to toss a couple of pre-packaged and frozen pieces in the sous vide, rice in the rice cooker, steam some veggies, and then hit everything with a bottled sauce or mustard or such.

I rarely pull out the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot except for soup (my wife uses them more).

A more appropriate Instant Pot recipe for the now-departed-Helga is Instant Pot Spam Fried Rice
Thank you, actually we have started to go on a diabetic diet because of my wife. So, rice and all is out. I do have an air fryer that works pretty go for a change in cooking. I cut the up and cooked them in butter and at the end stirred in the balsamic glaze. Anything with no carbs or sugur would be great. pork seems to be cheap right now so pork recipies are also appreciated. Just to a pork butt and pot it in the instapot with so cabbage and chicked broth. was good.

Thank you, actually we have started to go on a diabetic diet because of my wife. So, rice and all is out. I do have an air fryer that works pretty go for a change in cooking. I cut the up and cooked them in butter and at the end stirred in the balsamic glaze. Anything with no carbs or sugur would be great. pork seems to be cheap right now so pork recipies are also appreciated. Just to a pork butt and pot it in the instapot with so cabbage and chicked broth. was good.
Pork butt in Instant Pot is delicious as shredded pork. No sugar, though, so that makes using pre-made sauces pretty much completely out of the picture. I make a lot of soups & stews in the winter, all in the Instant Pot. My daughter teases me that I don't know how to cook without an Instant Pot (she's not far wrong...). Are beans not ok on a diabetic diet? Because a smoked ham hock with beans, veggies, herbs and water makes a magnificent soup/stew. You might have trouble finding a ham hock cured without sugar, I don't know, it depends where you're from and where you can obtain your ham hock from (we do our own curing & smoking, so we can control that kind of thing for ourselves). If you do a roast chicken, take the meat off the bones, bung the bones into the IP with water & pressure cook for 4 hrs to make a stock base, then use that with leftover chicken and whatever veggies/pulses/herbs you want and throw that on for soup the next day.

Pork butt in Instant Pot is delicious as shredded pork. No sugar, though, so that makes using pre-made sauces pretty much completely out of the picture. I make a lot of soups & stews in the winter, all in the Instant Pot. My daughter teases me that I don't know how to cook without an Instant Pot (she's not far wrong...). Are beans not ok on a diabetic diet? Because a smoked ham hock with beans, veggies, herbs and water makes a magnificent soup/stew. You might have trouble finding a ham hock cured without sugar, I don't know, it depends where you're from and where you can obtain your ham hock from (we do our own curing & smoking, so we can control that kind of thing for ourselves). If you do a roast chicken, take the meat off the bones, bung the bones into the IP with water & pressure cook for 4 hrs to make a stock base, then use that with leftover chicken and whatever veggies/pulses/herbs you want and throw that on for soup the next day.
Sounds good, I think beans are ok. Made sone northern beans diced ham, onions in chicken broth. turned out good, Blood sugar went up sbut she had some other stuff as well. thank you.

Sounds good, I think beans are ok. Made sone northern beans diced ham, onions in chicken broth. turned out good, Blood sugar went up sbut she had some other stuff as well. thank you.
I just read that beans are a mixed bag for diabetics; some react more strongly than others to the carbohydrates therein - not necessarily an immediate spike like with simple carbs, but a delayed one as the body works through breaking down more complex carbs. So, probably something to keep in mind with the calculations of carbs for a given meal, but not necessarily to completely avoid, I guess?

This is my most recent recipe. Its good hot or cold.

One 240gm tin of chick peas or beans. Put them into a bowl or pan or leave them in the tin. Add two table spoons of smooth peanut paste and mix it up until smooth. Heat if you want it hot. There is enough salt in it already so you may not need any more salt. Add some spices and herbs if you want them.

Very simple and a great lunch if you are on the road.

I think you could use almond paste if you have a peanut allergy.
Looks like hummus with peanut butter substituted for tahini (sesame paste - which tastes curiously like peanut butter). I just made hummus the other day to eat with the falafel I made. Next time I'll try peanut butter, because it's kind of a pain to make the tahini from raw sesame seeds.

Here's my Hummus recipe:
2 cups of fully cooked til mushy chick peas, or garbanzo beans. 1 cup dry beans makes 2 cups after cooked.
3 Tablespoons Tahini
1 cloves of garlic, minced
1-1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cumin

stick everything in the food processor and mix until silky smooth. adjust spices and lemon juice, if necessary.
serve on homemade pita bread with tzadziki sauce, or on tortilla chips, or on a bagel, or...etc.

Last edited:
We've been making falafel with sprouted chickpeas/garbanzo beans - it's an amazing difference with the result. Here's the original recipe we follow, but I use the sprouted chickpeas (1 cup dried cover in water over night to swell, then drain & rinse and leave to sprout, rinsing & draining a couple of times a day, usually three or four days, we have a cool house). Sometimes I throw stinging nettles in instead of flat leaf parsley, if they're in season and parsley is not (nettles are spring, parsley is summer).

Top Bottom