Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about making

Something to consider, it has been a year and a half since I made a thickness sander using a bench drill press, 4.5” drum with Velcro sanding belt attachment and a 2x4 and plywood frame. Yes, it is manually fed, but works very well. It has been used on over 30 ukulele so far and is going strong. I used the drill press as the power source because I had recently bought a new one, but if you already have a suitable motor, V belt and pulleys, you can build something similar for under $100 and a couple days time. There are lots of plans online, and my UU thread should still be around.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

My first thickness sander was shop built...I made a photo log of it and it can be seen on the the info at the the bottom of this post...or here http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com...r-project.html
    Last edited by Timbuck; 09-06-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

A real basic drum sander. Used a hole saw to cut out the discs. mounted them on a 1/2" cold drawn rod. Disks epoxied to the rod. bearings on the rod and a V-belt pulley on the rod. Mounted them and the motor on some 2x6's. Had a thick countertop as the table, mounted to the 2x6 using a piano hinge. With it mounted sand it with the discs turning and slid a piece of sandpaper on the table which ground them all level. Had a 0.002" difference in thickness doing a top from one side to the other. Have had mounting screws to lock down the sanding belt but the screws loosened up eventually, if going that direction the end discs from a hardwood would be best. Got the motor from a thrift store for $12, it is only 1/3 hp, an old furnace motor would work well. I have done over 100 guitar tops and a fair amount of back and sides. I have had some problems with sandpaper separating and sanding holes in the table, need to fill them in. I am going to build another but really this one can do all I want. I have a dust hood built out of 1/8" stock but it is off the drum.

I am dimensioning a neck down to thickness and putting a slope to it with the shim. A little tricky but showing you can do more than thin stock.

Last edited by printer2; 09-07-2020 at 05:57 AM.

All I haven

It appears to be the punctuation mark in shortened/abreviated words that causes the text to stop...like in Im, havent. etc:..very annoying bug
    Last edited by Timbuck; 09-15-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Well spotted that man.
    A very annoying bug. Surprising that it does not truncate posts when the apostrophe is used incorrectly in plurals. That would not be a bug; that would be a service to humanity.
    Miguel

Thanks for that Timbuck I will take more care when posting in future. I was basically just wanting to thank people for their response. Much food for thought here.

Thread Information