NUD: Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano

CPG

Reaction score
Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rq5qfDXvfe8cBtUU6

EDIT: Sound sample added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dhK8tZG10U

Having sold off all my ukes except for one vintage soprano, I'd been hunting for 2nd nice soprano for a little while now. I'd been wanting a Pohaku, but when I was looking there weren't any on his site that were quite my cup of tea and I wasn't sure enough about what I wanted to custom order one. So as I considered a number of available options I would regularly check the Pohaku website to see if anything I wanted popped up. Then all of the sudden last Monday I saw this soprano listed. It was exactly what I had been waiting for and to top it off it was a couple hundred dollars less than I had seen his instruments listed before. The description said that he was using a new shellac based finishing method that resulted in a matte finish which he felt fit his smaller instruments better than the usual gloss laquer he had been using. It is apprently also much easier to apply and thus enabled him to sell his instruments for less. I prefer a matte to gloss so this was a win-win for me. It quickly realized it was everything I wanted, so I promptly disregarded the other sopranos I was conisdering and bought this.

After making the long FedEx trek from CA to Philly it arrived at my front door this morning. All I can say it WOW!

The craftmanship is mind blowing. I can honestly say this is one of the finest crafted instruments or pieces of woodworking I have every beheld. Every aspect is done to perfection, and I abolutley love the matte tobacco sunburst finish. It is so perfect that it literally looks like someone airbrushed a picture of a ukulele or drew a hyperrealistic picture of a ukulele. Just looking at it makes me giggle with glee, and to top it off it smells really nice too.

I literally just got it so I've barely had a chance to play it, but it is nice and light and comfortable and plays beautfully. I wasn't sure if I would like the 13 frets to the body as I find I get mixed up switching between a 12-fret to 14-fret to the body ukes, but it's actually really nice. Since it's only one fret more before the join and since it doesn't have a marker on it, it doesn't visually mess me up, but it does provide a bit of extra space near the neck and one extra note.

Sound-wise it has lovely vintage Martin-ish sound. Of course, vintage Martin tones can vary, so more specifically it is on the very warm, full, more sustaining side of the vintage Martin spectrum. It came strung with Aquila's which I'm not generally a huge fan of, but I'll leave them on for a bit since it was what the builder felt suited it. They actually sound really really great on this uke, but I imagine I might like even more when I eventually put some flourocarbon on it. The only other thing I might do to it is lower the saddle a hair. This is not at all a complaint in the setup. The action is set to a really nice height and the overall setup is beatifully done. Obviously action is compromise and a personal preference and if I do decide to lower it a smidge it is easy enough to do.

Anyway, I'm totally thrilled with this. The value on it was mindblowing. The level of craftsmanship is simply astonishing. I was really hoping for a uke that would kill my UBASS (Ukulele Buying and Selling Syndrome), and I really think this is IT...

...at least for a little while, LOL

Last edited:
Congrats! This sounds like a winner both in quality and price point. Would be interested in hearing a sound sample if you get around to it. Enjoy!

~Jodie

Congrats! This sounds like a winner both in quality and price point. Would be interested in hearing a sound sample if you get around to it. Enjoy!

~Jodie

Thanks Jodie! Yeah, I'm in love with it. I'll try to get a sound sample at some point. I've mostly been playing guitar and banjo the past few months, so I'm a little rusty but I'll figure out something to share soon.

I wanted to chime in about my new Pohaku that I just received and was the "big" brother to CPG's soprano. I actually have him to thank for letting me know about Peter's new line using the shellac technique. I bought my "Concert 10" (which is a soprano body with a concert scale length) the same day as CPG and received it yesterday. I have another Pohaku concert and this one is built to Peter's amazingly high standards and it sounds phenomenal - warm, chime-y, full. I like to play Campanella arrangements of classical guitar pieces and it is perfect for that. I also love the new finish - very organic and it lets the wood texture shine through. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with it tonight!

I wanted to chime in about my new Pohaku that I just received and was the "big" brother to CPG's soprano. I actually have him to thank for letting me know about Peter's new line using the shellac technique. I bought my "Concert 10" (which is a soprano body with a concert scale length) the same day as CPG and received it yesterday. I have another Pohaku concert and this one is built to Peter's amazingly high standards and it sounds phenomenal - warm, chime-y, full. I like to play Campanella arrangements of classical guitar pieces and it is perfect for that. I also love the new finish - very organic and it lets the wood texture shine through. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with it tonight!

It was a tough choice between the one I ordered and the one you got. I've always been very intrigued by his 'Concert 10" model. Ultimately I decided that since I was on a soprano hunt I would stick with a traditional soprano..that and I was enamored with the burst finish on mine. Glad you are as happy as I am. I think I might have to have Peter build me a concert 10 someday.

I had a chance to play this for about an hour last night. While I'm looking forward to trying it with other strings, I must say I think it actually sounds REALLY good with the Nylguts. This is a first for me. I generally find Nygluts overly percussive, that they kinda make all ukes sound alike, and take away from the individual character of the uke in a way that makes me feel like I'm hearing the sound of the strings and not the instrument, if that makes sense. (that's just me, I'm not saying they are bad or that this is true for everyone). However, this instrument's tone really comes through with these strings. I'll still likely end up with, M600s or BMs or CMs or myabe M605s on it at some point (and am very excited to see what they bring out on it), but damn it sounds good with the Nylgut strings that are currently on it. I'm really quite suprised by this. Wow. This thing just keeps making me smile.

Oooh! I wish you hand't asked me that. :D

No, I don't. Let's let it go at that. : )

EDIT: They do have some attractive ukes.

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/artists

Sure do. And look, there are several available for sale!!!

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/for-sale

I think you need another Koa soprano. Maybe this one with a cool fish inlay on the face plate: http://www.pohakuukulele.com/blub-soprano

Or maybe this cool concert with an octopus: http://www.pohakuukulele.com/art-nouveau-octopus-concert-for-sale

I bet you don't have a uke with an octopus on it?

Mwhahahahahahah! This is fun!

I had a chance to play this for about an hour last night. While I'm looking forward to trying it with other strings, I must say I think it actually sounds REALLY good with the Nylguts. This is a first for me. I generally find Nygluts overly percussive, that they kinda make all ukes sound alike, and take away from the individual character of the uke in a way that makes me feel like I'm hearing the sound of the strings and not the instrument, if that makes sense. (that's just me, I'm not saying they are bad or that this is true for everyone). However, this instrument's tone really comes through with these strings. I'll still likely end up with, M600s or BMs or CMs or myabe M605s on it at some point (and am very excited to see what they bring out on it), but damn it sounds good with the Nylgut strings that are currently on it. I'm really quite suprised by this. Wow. This thing just keeps making me smile.

Sounds great! I hear the warmth of the mahogany with a little vintage jangle as well. You are right, the nylguts do sound nice here. Martin 605's are a great string too, & I found them sounding best on my Martin Konter. Strings are subjective, and it seems each instrument is voiced a certain way. Sometimes takes a little experimenting to decide what sounds best.

~Jodie

Last edited:
Sounds great! I hear the warmth of the mahogany with a little vintage jangle as well. You are right, the nylguts do sound nice here. Martin 605's are a great string too, & I found them sounding best on my Martin Konter. Strings are subjective, and it seems each instrument is voiced a certain way. Sometimes takes a little experimenting to decide what sounds best.

~Jodie

I was going to wait to do experimenting but my curiosity go the best of me and I literally just took off the Nylguts and put on some Martin 605s. Initial impression is that I like the Nylguts better on this one as the 605s sound a little thinner, but I'll need to play the 605s in a bit to tell for sure. Next up after these is either Worth Browns or maybe a clear flourocarbon. I'd probably be better off just spending my time playing it, but I always like to experiment with strings on a new uke. I almost always land on clear flourocarbon but occassionally on Worth Browns or 605s. I'm still shocked by how much I liked the Nylguts on this and that there is a chance that I end up putting them back on it.

Last edited:
Worth Brown are nice strings. You might like some other version of Aquila, like the Sugars.

Congrats on a beautiful instrument

Worth Brown are nice strings. You might like some other version of Aquila, like the Sugars.

Congrats on a beautiful instrument

Thanks! I continue to be astounded by this instrument. In this ukulele Peter has managed to keep the very best aspects of good vintage sopranos while still giving it it's own unique voice and appearance.

I played it a bunch yesterday with the Martin "Premium" M605s and just strung it up with Worth Browns. I'm curious to see what they bring out in it though I do usually prefer the bit of extra shimmer that I get from clear flourocarbon.

One thing amazing me about this uke is different strings really seem to bring out different aspects of what I think of as coming from the vintage Martin (or Weymann or similar) tonality spectrum. With the Nylguts it is warm and loud and punchy. The M605s sounded a little thin when I first put them on but as I played them in a bit (and likely as my ear adjusted) I found that they brought out more of the barky, bright, jangley aspects of vintage uke sound palette. I'm going to play with the Browns a bit and will probably also try a clear flourocarbon but I'm actually increasingly feeling like I'll end up with the Nylguts on this. They impart a nice warm punchyness to it and bring out the mids a little more but they don't at all overtake the tone of the instrument as I have in the past found them to do on other instruments. I also feel like they provide a bit more tonal contrast from my Weymann which is strung with M600s.

I'm making recordings of each string type using the same chord progression and will share them once I settle on a string (or maybe just as I make them). I could easily be happy with the strings I've already tried on it but at this point I'm just curious what different strings will bring out since so far they all sound great on it and just seem to bring out different tonal aspects of the uke's natural voice. Maybe I should order some Sugars too, that is one string I still haven't tried that I've been curious about. Also, that "Nylons fans" thread is kinda making me want to try some Pro-Artes on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom