Brand new Kala uke with 4th (g) string nut slot cut too low. Is it a warranty issue?

gerardo1000

Reaction score
(NOTE: this post has been updated, I got great customer service from Kala :))

I LOVE the Kala brand and this post is just meant to ask your opinion. I purchased on line a brand new all solid Kala Super Tenor from a Kala dealer, spruce top and ziricote back and sides. I already have the same ukulele in the all solid mahogany version. The new uke is gorgeous and it has a beautiful sound, but it has a minor issue: The nut slot for the 4h (g) string is cut too low, and the g string buzzes every time that I play it open, even if I play it with a light touch. I sent an e-mail to Kala Support asking if I could get a new nut, and they promptly assisted me and sent me a replacement nut, but they asked to be paid for the nut ($14.90) and for shipping ($5.00) which I did.
My question is: I didn't do anything to the uke, it came as it is from the factory. Shouldn't it be a warranty issue ? If so, shouldn't I be entitled, if not for a free spare nut, at least for a discount ?
What do you think ?

Last edited:
I think at this point you have to just be happy with the transaction. The time to ask this question is when you first contacted Kala.
But, if you still want to try to get your money back, then send the above post to Kala and see what their response is.
I, personally, would have just returned the ukulele and ask the store to pay return shipping.

Is the G slot wide? Someone may have widened and deepened the slot to accommodate a low G string.

I'd consider it a vendor issue to sell a playable instrument.

But it seems like a great uke otherwise.

Cheers.

My bad, I did not ask Kala to send me the nut for free, and I did not open a warranty claim. I just wrote them, explained the issue, and asked if it was possible to get a new nut. When I received the request to pay 20 dollars (for a tusq nut) I agreed and paid with Pay Pal. You are right, that was the moment when I should have asked, instead, if it was possible to get the nut with a discount considering that the issue originated at the factory. The point is: I wasn't and I am not sure if a nut slot too low could be considered a factory defect... that is why, as an after thought, I am asking the opinion of other forum members!

Is the G slot wide? Someone may have widened and deepened the slot to accommodate a low G string.

I'd consider it a vendor issue to sell a playable instrument.

But it seems like a great uke otherwise.

Cheers.

These super tenors ukuleles from Kala (I have two) all come with low G tuning from the factory. The 4th string is wound and quite thin. The slot is not particularly wide, I do not believe that the vendor did make any change. I compared the nuts of the two super tenor ukuleles that I have (the all mahogany ad the spruce/ziricote) and the nut slots have identical width. I just think that someone (in China where the ukulele was built) cut the g slot too low on this one (the spruce topped). The nut slots of the other one that I have (the mahogany topped) are fine.

Last edited:
I would have contacted the dealer first. Explained the problem and included measurements and/or a photo of the nut and slot. Asked them for a solution.
If you received no joy from them, then contacted Kala.

Now, you have two problems:
1. You have a new nut. The old one has to be removed, and the new one installed. Are you going to do this, or will you have to take it to the dealer or a local repair shop or luthier and have them do it? A least another $20 - $30.
2. Will replacing the nut by anyone other than an authorized Kala dealer/service department void your warranty?

While it's not a difficult job by any means, it's pretty easy to mess up the finish. And getting the old crusty glue out to make a smooth flat surface for the new nut is a delicate PIA.

Is the new nut exactly the same height and width as the old one? Or did they send you a generic that has to be adjust for your instrument?

It's not too late to run the problem past the dealer and see what they say.

Best of luck.

I would have contacted the dealer first. Explained the problem and included measurements and/or a photo of the nut and slot. Asked them for a solution.
If you received no joy from them, then contacted Kala.

Now, you have two problems:
1. You have a new nut. The old one has to be removed, and the new one installed. Are you going to do this, or will you have to take it to the dealer or a local repair shop or luthier and have them do it? A least another $20 - $30.
2. Will replacing the nut by anyone other than an authorized Kala dealer/service department void your warranty?

While it's not a difficult job by any means, it's pretty easy to mess up the finish. And getting the old crusty glue out to make a smooth flat surface for the new nut is a delicate PIA.

Is the new nut exactly the same height and width as the old one? Or did they send you a generic that has to be adjust for your instrument?

It's not too late to run the problem past the dealer and see what they say.

Best of luck.

Without knowing, sometimes the nuts just fall out once the strings are released as they are being held by tension alone and without a drop of glue. Another option is to put a drop of crazy glue in the nut slot of the G string and then re-file it to the correct height. Or, you could raise up all the strings by putting a little piece of card stock or credit card under the saddle or the nut. That should raise the strings a touch.

I have not received the new nut yet, I do not know if it is pre-slotted or not, but I am not worried, I have enough knowledge to shape it accordingly and even to file the slots if needed. I have successfully replaced nuts on some of my guitars. Yes I am aware of the crazy glue fix, but I am quite picky with my instruments and I do no like temporary solutions. In summary, I am not concerned about the instrument, it is a great ukulele and once I receive the new nut it will be 100% perfect. The reason of my post was only about the warranty, I was curious to know the opinions of other members in regards to the warranty coverage. From what I gather, it looks like : yes, it should be considered an issue to be covered by the warranty. $20.00 is not the end of the world, but, maybe, I will ask Kala to be so kind to issue at least a partial refund.

Last edited:
...From what I gather, it looks like : yes, it should be considered an issue to be covered by the warranty. $20.00 is not the end of the world, but, maybe, I will ask Kala to be so kind to issue at least a partial refund, just as a matter of principle.

Nobody can say that $20 isn't high or low value to another person.
It doesn't hurt to ask. If Kala won't refund, you're only out an email.
Send a copy of your receipt and photo of the nut issue with your email; this shows that (1) your problem is real and (2) the ukulele is brand new.

Good luck. I hope they refund the whole cost.

HAPPY ENDING ! Thanks also to your comments and opinions, I finally wrote an e-mail to Kala and asked if there was a chance to get at least a partial refund for the replacement nut.
They double-checked if the dealer that sold me the ukulele was one of their official dealers (it is!) and IMMEDIATELY issued a full refund for both the nut and the shipping cost !
What a great warranty and responsive customer service. Thank you Kala !

Last edited:
HAPPY ENDING ! Thanks also to your comments and opinions, I finally wrote an e-mail to Kala and asked if there was a chance to get at least a partial refund for the replacement nut.
They double-checked if the dealer that sold me the ukulele was one of their official dealers (it is!) and IMMEDIATELY issued a full refund for both the nut and the shipping cost !

Glad to hear it. I had a feeling that Kala will give you a full refund. They've been very responsive when I had to deal with them (I used to own many Kala instruments). I love happy endings.

A refund is always good news.

Let us know what happens with the new nut. I'd be willing to bet that a high volume factory instrument like that just gets an off the shelf nut with no fitting - pre slotted and at a specified height; the new one may be identical to the one you have. If the new one doesn't cure the problem you may want to check for a fret issue on the first fret (too high or it's popped from the slot).

Top Bottom