Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recorded 2 tracks A and B. I'm wondering the following:

1. Which track has better playing?
2. Which track has better ukulele tone?

The tracks are from 2 different ukuleles; and I did 3 takes for 1 and only 1 take for the other.

Both tracks are recorded with the same mics, settings, and ukulele location. No post processing has been done (e.g. not normalized or adjusted in any way). They are straight from the mics, so you may have to turn up the volume.

Track A
https://soundcloud.com/user-919961063/track-a

Track B
https://soundcloud.com/user-919961063/track-b

Both tracks play the same music (I tried to include some variety in dynamics and style):

[mf DDUUDU] G - C7 - D (D5 voicing) - G - D7 - G - G
[mf-f DUDUDUDU syncopated] C - F - G - C
[p thumb D] C - E7 - Am - Dm - G7 - C
[ff 4 fingers DDUDDU] F - Bb - C7 - F
[p-f] smurfs
[p DDUD] C - Em - Am - F - Dm - G7 - C

NOTE: I played the thumb strum portion slower in Track B. I didn't notice this until I listened to the entire Track B so Track B's end is cut off.

Unfortunately I can't fixed this because I was too confident in the timing (since I used a metronome) that I deleted the originals after trimming the Tracks to the same duration.

Thanks!

I know that my playing is not very good, but if you have any preference after listening, please vote.
I'll definitely post a result after getting enough votes from you. Thanks.

Oops, I goofed on my vote. I meant to vote that I liked the uke on track B more, and the playing on both.

I like both. The instruments sound different. Listening on my iPhone the first one has that jangly soprano sound and the second one seems to be a little fuller, more like a piano. Of course I could be totally wrong.

I like both. The instruments sound different. Listening on my iPhone the first one has that jangly soprano sound and the second one seems to be a little fuller, more like a piano. Of course I could be totally wrong.

No, I don't think you are wrong at all. The ukes are VERY different: in terms of tone wood, strings, and price. They are both new instruments (one is 3 months old, the other is 1 week old) with their original strings.

Thanks for the votes.

I wanted to make an update with better play, but I wasn't able to play any better. (I think I may even be worse because I had to keep looking at the chord progressions and the strumming patterns.)

Uke A is a Kala KA-SSLNG; Uke B is KoAloha KSM-02.

Top Bottom