Zoom and Individual Singing

That's a nice change from a standard Zoom session.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

That's a nice change from a standard Zoom session.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, and the singers get better every week.

Our group has Open Mic every Wednesday night, and we recently started having individuals sing one stanza of the song. It's been working very well, with singers from NY to CA.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yWS6kFzkdCiA_ILpFP_DNM09UzPNIaZ0/view

My chorus does that as well. But we are a small group and know one another well. Yes it's more satisfying hearing different voices. I have a jam group that meets on zoom once a month and sometimes I ask the host to take a lead for instrumental break just as I would in person. Planning to do that for a upcoming Hawaiian Jam. I will lead and sing the song and my friend will play Steel guitar for an instrumental break. We also plan to work it up that she leave her mic open and throw in a few tasteful swoony steel chords. Get creative. Even if it doesn't work it's fun to try.

that sounds like a good idea since I've heard that a lot of people have an impossible time getting all the voices to sync on Zoom

that sounds like a good idea since I've heard that a lot of people have an impossible time getting all the voices to sync on Zoom

With the inherent delay (latency) of the internet, even switching from person to person will not be in sync, but as long as only one person is heard at a time, it's OK. A couple of weeks ago my group did a "gig" for a government housing group using Zoom where each of us was featured for one song while the rest of us played along on mute.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's cathartic to unmute all the mics and sing together anyway. Lag times be damned. Friendship is, after all, more important than a polished performance. Ain't nobody paying to listen to us anyway. Chose your spots wisely; a little goes a long way.

Take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And, and, and, aaaand, AND!! and, AND and and
You put the load, put the load, and, put the load, AND! put the load, put the, and, aaaaaaaaaand, AND! load load right on right on right on
Me

It sounds like that when we do it live, too. At least now we have an excuse.
:cheers:

Sometimes it's cathartic to unmute all the mics and sing together anyway. Lag times be damned. Friendship is, after all, more important than a polished performance. Ain't nobody paying to listen to us anyway. Chose your spots wisely; a little goes a long way.

We've tried all unmuted, it's pretty bad.

With the inherent delay (latency) of the internet, even switching from person to person will not be in sync, but as long as only one person is heard at a time, it's OK. A couple of weeks ago my group did a "gig" for a government housing group using Zoom where each of us was featured for one song while the rest of us played along on mute.

There's a session running tonight. The song will be "You and I."

https://buffalo.zoom.us/j/2306663227

6:00 - 8:00 PM

Top Bottom