String Advice.

foursixplayer

Reaction score
What make of strings have you tried and liked for the banjolele and ukulele? Is there a big difference between the make of the nylon strings that are available? Avoid cheap strings?

(In the guitar / banjo / double bass world the choice of strings available is big--every type of string / manufacturer / have their own sound.

Your expertise welcome.
Many thanks

Same as with other instrument makers applies. The big companies that make their own nylon strings for guitars or other instruments also tend to have ukulele strings, or you can use your favourite guitar treble strings and match gauges to uke scales. There are a lot of choices for ukes and many players here who have their personal preferences and promote them. Sound is very subjective and depends more on playing style and skill than string type. If you tell us more how you play and your current experience with strings and why you think you want to change them then you can get better advice.

Fast, over-simplified answer: Go HERE and select either Aquila Nylgut or D'Addario strings. They will play just fine.

Then you should read the numerous other string posts in this forum & (IF you like testing stuff) try different strings until you find the ones that you like best for your ukulele & your own two ears.

There is NO one "school solution" to your question. Tastes differ. So do strings. To each his own.

Last edited:
One thing I can offer is that I do NOT like D'Addario or Aquila strings.
I have Worth Browns on 3 ukuleles, and I love em. One of them is set up lo G, with a wound Freemont Soloist. One ukulele has Oasis strings, and I like them just fine.
I'm getting ready to try Worth strings on my banjouke, it's way to clangy for me.
We each have to figure out what works best for us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom