2003 KoAloha Long Neck Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

richntacoma

Reaction score
Well, lots of new ukes, and a couple have to go. Given that I am awaiting a Donaldson LN Soprano, and I now have a Kamaka HF-1, I have LN and Koa covered...so.......

For sale is a 2003, KoAloha long neck soprano. The front and back are one piece Koa with a lovely reddish tinge. The neck is also Koa. Having one's with one piece, not matching sets and a koa neck are not easy to find these days!

I reached about to KoAloha about the about the stiff old tuners and they sent me the current orange friction ones, which are now on on the uke. I will send you the vintage ones as well. The action was lowered by a great luthier here, and so is low and has no buzz.

Recently, I dinged the uke, and have included the pictures of the two very small dings in a recent bump (the limit is five here). I have been strumming a ton, and so there is a bit of strum wear. Besides that, it is in really great shape, and is even prettier in person that the pics.

It is really lovely little uke with a very plunky and jangly sound.

$525 with shipping in the COUS, or $575 with a nice Kala hard case. Friends and family, or you please pay the fee.

Attachments

• 20200609_185046.jpg
    20200609_185046.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 20200609_185040.jpg
    20200609_185040.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 448
  • 20200609_185116.jpg
    20200609_185116.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 365
  • 20200609_185206.jpg
    20200609_185206.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200609_185132.jpg
    20200609_185132.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
In terms of the condition, it is a very pretty uke in very good condition. It has two very, very hard to notice playing scratches--the type you need to keep turning in the light to see. Action solid--not super low, but good. As mentioned, the tuners are old and tight, and if someone wanted maximum ease, those should be replaced (although this makes it less "authentic."

I traded this for my KoAloha Opio Spruce tenor, which was about the same price. There is currently a 2001 Concert that lists on Reverb for $975 with a case, but that has been sitting there for a long time. So, this seems fairly right priced to me, as it is also more than my trading partner bought it for.

Last edited:
I have traded with Rich and can verify that he is an upstanding UU user and man of his word.

I had this uke before him and paid about what he's asking on Reverb a few years ago. There were no issues with it when I had it and from the pictures here it looks like Rich has taken exceptional care of it.

Just for whoever needs to know.

My new Kamaka totally meets the need this serves, and with three new Ukes price drop to $675, with a retro style hardcase.

I played a friend's KSM-02 a few years ago and remember being impressed, but it's been awhile. What would you say about the sound of this one?

I played a friend's KSM-02 a few years ago and remember being impressed, but it's been awhile. What would you say about the sound of this one?

I am not the best at describing tone, as I am a newbie. It is fun and playful to me, jangly in that prefect soprano way, but it really projects. If I was not planning on getting a nice soprano I would not be selling it (and I just traded for a Kamaka HF-1).

If someone is REALLY interested, I would be glad to do a zoom chat and play a bit (if you can handle Uke punk ruck :)).

I'm interested but zoom really distorts the sound of a ukulele, even if you have a decent microphone. I've tried to zoom with friends who have great ukes and it never sounds good. Could you possibly post a sample on SoundCloud or YouTube?

I would be recording using zoom anyhow, and have no mic or anything to record with, so sorry.

Please forgive the newbie question, but is there any sonic benefit or advantage of a solid, one piece front and back over bookmatched front and back pieces?

Please forgive the newbie question, but is there any sonic benefit or advantage of a solid, one piece front and back over bookmatched front and back pieces?

I think it reflects a more traditional way of building ukes. The bookmatching is mainly a result of scarcity of koa as it allows smaller pieces to be used with less wood going to waste. Not sure if it has much effect on tone but I think it looks nice to not have the symmetry of pattern. I really love the koa fretboards of my old Kamaka and KoAloha even though they tend to darken in contact with fingers.

I think it reflects a more traditional way of building ukes. The bookmatching is mainly a result of scarcity of koa as it allows smaller pieces to be used with less wood going to waste. Not sure if it has much effect on tone but I think it looks nice to not have the symmetry of pattern. I really love the koa fretboards of my old Kamaka and KoAloha even though they tend to darken in contact with fingers.

This seems right. It s a lovely uke that just booms. A bit surprised that nobody has bought it yet, but there are tough times for so many.

Well, several Ukes on the way, so, time to bump and sell. The pictures here are the two very small dings I have created in the last two weeks (GRRR)..It is perfect besides, and now selling for $625 with shipping in the COUS. Trade for Kamaka HF-1L (long neck Soprano), with me kicking in a bit of cash, also considered.

Given the board's "funkiness" with communication, feel free to email me at richfurmanphd@gmail.com

Attachments

• Ding on LN.jpg
    Ding on LN.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Ding two.jpg
    Ding two.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom