Review: Kala Learn to Play Color Chord Soprano (Waterman)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
This is really old information on UU; a ukulele that came out in 2015 that hasn't changed other than the colors it is offered it; perhaps the ABS material has changed slightly.

I work in music education, and we're in a pandemic. The USA is built upon performance-based classes like band, choir, and orchestra (much of the world offers in-school music education through general music, music history, or music appreciation). I'm at the elementary level now, and have included ukulele in 5th grade. We used to offer choir and orchestra in 4th grade, and band in 5th grade. None of those are on this year. I still want to teach ukulele and will do so (spraying down our inexpensive Caramel ukuleles).

Other teachers are coming to the same realization, and suddenly a classroom set of ukuleles, particularly those selling for $40, $1200 to $1500 is very approachable (set of 30).

In 2016, when I started playing and learning ukulele, I wrote Kala asking if I could have some posters for my room. They sent 30 Waterman ukuleles instead. Those are still in our school district, distributed to another school. In fact, I have actually ended up obtaining four sets of ukuleles that are now providing classroom instruction in five different schools in our district.

Many music teachers have been in love with the Waterman for years. They are relatively inexpensive (as cheap as they have ever been right now), pretty durable, and easy to clean. We justify the issue of sound as "it's just school," and when you bring up the issue of action, it is passed over.

When I was in my last position in my district, I was able to buy a set of Outdoor Ukuleles for my classroom. Outdoor offers a great discount for schools in sets of 15 or more (about 40%). That's a ukulele that offers one of the best playing experiences in terms of set-up that I've ever seen (even if you're not a fan of the tone).

I don't know why Kala continues to sell a plastic ukulele that has high action that really cannot be adjusted. I know a few people have taken files to the zero fret and saddle, but there isn't much there to work on.

If I were Kala, I would redesign the mold at this time and make it right. I might even look closer at the Maccaferri and see if we could better approach the things that it did better (everything but the tuners).

I'm glad I finally have one of these in my hands (open box from Amazon) so that I could officially review it (rather than looking at them and measuring action at music stores and music education conferences). I still need to buy one of the Vorson ukuleles so I can have an all-out plastic ukulele comparison.

As always, there's a long form UkeGuide review, a One Minute Review, and a summary document at ukeguide.info (which is really just a like to the right tab on my main channel ukestuff.info).

Top Bottom