Fingerstyle: Low volume slur (hammer-on) help

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm learning how to play fingerstyle; I didn't realize fingerstyle can be so fun on the ukulele! I'm trying to learn my second song, which uses slurs.

I can get pull-off ok (just need more practice), but I'm having a hard time with hammer-on. My hammer-on is just very low to 0 volume.

I only have soprano and concert ukuleles. The volume is better on the concert, but still too low for anything.

I'm wondering if you can share some tips?

Thanks!

I really wanted to help. I really did. But when I grabbed my ukulele and did some hammers, I couldn't see anything.

Maybe that means that there is no big secret; just practice until you get it.

I did notice one thing. I seem to hammer with the pads of my fingers as opposed to the finger tips. Maybe that is significant.

Also, I have to mention string tension. I typically tune my ukulele three or four half-steps down. Therefore perhaps lessened tension encourages the volume of hammered notes. I don't know. I am not a physicist. I just know the things I do and the results I get.

That was the same as my classical guitar: you just have to build finger strength.

I'm afraid there are no shortcuts/tricks.

Just slam your finger on as hard as you can and keep at it, it's exactly like going to the gym and lifting weights.
Make sure you do proper movements and don't let your finger slip or hit other strings, ideally you want to set a rhythm and follow it throughout, movements should be smooth and not sudden or stagger.

10 minute workout everyday, twice a day. In a week you're gonna hammer on like a champ.

Agreed, it's all about practicing accuracy and strength. Just lightly touching the string won't really do anything. You really need to hammer the string quite fast in order to produce decent enough volume.

As others have recommended ... it's all about practice ;)

Mind you, if you're not using a strap, so your fretting hand is helping to support the instrument as well, you could be making life difficult for yourself ;)

:music:

Hit the hammer on firmly and decisively. It shouldn't be gentle.

Thanks! I'll give it more practice.

I'm wondering if I'm doing hammer-on totally wrong; my hammer-on is just too quiet to be useable.
Here's what I'm doing:

If I'm doing it right and I just need more practice, then that's OK. Just want to check if I'm even correct. Thanks.
(I'm using a concert ukulele; I get even less sound out of sopranos.)

Hold up.

You hammer a string after having strummed it, you don't just hammer it out of nowhere.

Like, you strum the open A string and then hammer on a fret.

Of course, you can also hammer single notes but you're not Van Halen and that's not something I commonly see on ukuleles anyway :p

Anyway, remember to keep your finger "straight", do not bend it outwards (you've done it sometimes during the video). You should use the tip of the pad. Keeping fingernails short help as well obviously.

Can't take a video right now but you should get the idea.

From there, it's just building up muscles on your fingers.

From the Ukulele Underground YouTube channel:

Ah! thanks. It is much louder now (although at a reduced speed). I'm still pretty quiet on the higher frets; but, at least, I can practice now.
Thanks again!

Top Bottom