Season 447 - Like a Virgin

Man, if ever there was a time I miss Randy, besides his sunny brilliance on a uke he had a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of the Beatles...

IIRC, Norwegian Wood came first, BUT, was after Dylan’s famous visit to the UK, where he spent a lot of time with the Beatles. NW also, I think, is at the beginning of the Beatles more experimental phase, which started after that visit and that Dylan thought (thinks?) he didn’t get enough credit from the Fab 4 for kicking off. In 4th Time Around the lyric, “I never asked for your crutch, now don’t ask for mine” is supposedly an open jab at Lennon, and the amount of perceived “inspiration” His Bob-ness thought Lennon was drawing from Dylan’s own style.

Anyway, Blonde On Blonde is still an All Time Album, and probably always will be. Even though, like the Beatles, I don’t think anyone who likes Dylan can have a “favorite” Dylan song, when asked 4th time is always one of the very 1st songs I thinks of. Just as much today as it was 4 years ago and all the time before then to the 1st time I heard it (see what I did there, bringing it back to firsts? Ok, I’ll see myself out).

So Dylan inspired the Beatles who then influenced Dylan? :D

Hi all! The PlayList is updated from tonight. My network's choking this morning and I can't get more than about 5 seconds worth of audio at a time, so I've just gotten badly teased by these but no finish. I hope it'll be back in shape after lunch.

So Dylan inspired the Beatles who then influenced Dylan? :D

Ha ha ha. No. I think what I was trying to say is that Dylan thought the Beatles were a little too obvious about Dylan’s influence on them and Dylan resented them for it.

Of course critics would say that’s rich, coming from someone like Dylan.

This is the first song I "created" I say that as I didn't write the words. They were a poem I found on the internet when I was researching an accident that happened at my Great Grandfather's ironworks back in 1895. The person who wrote it had obviously grown up alongside the Tees but in modern times as it was from a newspaper article on the accident and the community affected by it from some time in the 1960 or 70s. I can't remember exactly when now. I really liked the atmosphere invoked by the poem and I decided to put a melody to it. I later extended the melody and turned it into a 32 bar waltz (you'll hear that in the recording).

I have a song about the accident almost completed but it's not ready for the world yet.

Here's an original from me. It's an instrumental and it's the first time I've written in this way. I laid down the groundwork of the bass rhythm first then built up from there, although the lead is entirely improvised as I'm sure you'll hear.

The idea for the title and the vibe of the song came from noodling a few days ago and deciding to just make up some chord shapes I'd not seen before. They ended up a bit weird but sounded really cool strummed quickly then muted.

I've also tried some new things with the video.

We've got my Epiphone Les Paul guitar providing the bass, my Low G Korala concert strumming those weird chords, my High G Snail concert providing a few flourishes and my Clearwater Electric Tenor uke on lead.

Hope people like it, I had a lot of fun making it.

Network's back up to snuff and all caught up. Some great songs today!

Pa's mammoth song was particularly poignant where it talked about fires: Washington's ablaze, and while it's not nearby our air quality's dropping fast and supposed to be more smoke than oxygen tomorrow. Expected to be dark during the day and unhealthy to breath. Can already taste it tonight and the real nasty stuff's just barely started heading our way.

Here's a brand new original song I just recorded with my fine friend, Paul who lends me his voice and trumpet on this one.
I wrote it a couple of weeks ago whilst holidaying on the Norfolk coast, inspired by a large illustrated wall chart on the holiday cottage kitchen wall depicting a variety of wading birds to be found in the area.
Hopefully it makes a nice pair of bookends to the season when coupled with my last entry in a first song/latest song written kinda way...
There's certainly a noticeable difference in style 30 years on!

The video was shot on my phone at Sea Palling beach, Norfolk.

Ahoy amd better late than never.
I am not at home but managed to source a ukulele in order to redo my 1st submissions to the seasons about two years ago

once again revisiting the theme of the first season i ever took part in - season 70 - three little words - and bringing a new song that fits that theme (three-word song titles)...

here is the first song I ever learned on the uke. It containing the Eb chord shape along with my lack of musicality made it take about 6 months of daily practice to get it into performance shape around 6-7 years ago. This was also performed on my first ukulele.

Gday Rob. Thanks for hosting old chap!
Here's a song with First in the title. This could be the First time this song has ever been covered. That could be the First lie you've read today.

Thanks again for hosting Rob and for the reason! I put this one together kind of as a last minute effort with Jon adding his magic and putting together the video. It's a lovely song written by J.J. Cale, that Marc introduced to me. In addition to fitting my first season's them of artists who played at Farm Aid (it was covered by Poco), it's also the first J.J. Cale song i've covered, and it's the first time i've played this specific electric baritone uke as well.

this has been a terrific debut hosting job Rob
a thoughtful theme with lots of options for people to bring something along and timely and encouraging comments from the host
and still 2 days to go to get more beaut songs

Joo has let me know she is unable to host season 449
and there is just 453 and 454 to fill before i hand over to Steve to coordinate the hosting duties and keep the seasons going
people can let me know in the Sign up for future Seasons III thread if they are able to take on one of these seasons
would love to see more seasonistas host their debut season

Last edited:
Here's my first recorded song on the tiple. It has 10 steel strings arranged in 4 courses tuned (My Dog Has Fleas - gG-cCc-eEe-AA) so the chord shapes are the same as on a uke I hope this keeps it legal.. I tried this song this morning, but it was too low for my voice, so I decided to try another first. I grabbed a guitar capo and put it at the second fret. My first time using a capo on either a uke or a tiple.

My apologies for a major slip. I said on the video that the tiple had 14 strings. I was thinking of a Filipino banduria that I own. The tiple has only 10 strings. The banduria is on the left in this photo. The tiple is on the right.
Bandurlia & Tiple.jpg

Oh Miss Mary came from my second LP purchase, The Kingston Trio's Close Up. I've also heard Josh White Jr. sing it at a coffee house in Hamilton.

Here's John Stewart's Oh Miss Mary.

Last edited:
Season of the Ukulele 447 invites new members to join a season for the first time, and existing members to revisit their first season. I played for the first time in Season 360, which celebrates a phenomenal year of songs played on a ukulele by York Steve to benefit kids in Africa. This week, I looked back at Steve's song list and his November 14 entry introduced me to a great artist named Jarrod Dickenson. A bit of YouTube surfing led me to this phenomenal song. Jarrod plays it with great style and looks great doing it. My panama hat is a (weak) nod to that, but I've made a note to get a fedora once the weather turns cold.

Unplanned cameo appearance by one of my daughters included at no charge.

Check out Jarrod's original at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKDL5VIre4, and Steve's cover of "No Work for a Working Man" at https://365ukesongs.blogspot.com/2018/11/no-work-for-working-man.html.

another return to the theme of the first season i ever took part in - season 70 - three little words - and bringing a new song that fits that theme (three-word song titles), and yet another new item of dino tat!

I've considered taking part since the beginning of lockdown, but I didn't have the guts to create a YouTube channel:D
The song still requires some work and I have zero video editing skills. So this is my first time, certainly]fitting the theme.

Top Bottom