Season 447 - Like a Virgin

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 447 - Like a Virgin

This is my first season hosting, and the excitement and anticipation is wonderful!

I want to share that feeling with all of you, so the theme this week is to capture that shiny and new feeling by celebrating our first times - either by doing something new for the first time or by revisiting your first time in the Seasons.

The first category is to bring something with a new kick:

• If you're new to the Seasons then you've got this nailed!
  • If you're an old hand then add in something new: bring an instrumental, or an original, or your own arrangement, or parody lyrics, or multi-track, or single-track, or collaborate, or collaborate with somebone new, or add percussion, or bass, or a puppet, or electric effects, or a new style, or.... whatever. Be creative!

The second category is to revist your first Season. You're still here, so it must have been good!You can rerecord your first song if you like, or can bring anything else that would have fit in then.

The third category is to write a new original for the season. 'Cause they're always fun!

If you aren't revisiting your first season please bring songs about firsts times, newness, revitalization, and wonder.

Please let us know what's new and how your entry fits the season!

Song limit: 1 song per day
Season starts Sunday 6 September, 00:01AM Hawaii time (UTC-10) until Sunday 13 September, 11:59PM Hawaii time
Entries should be new for the season and prominently feature your ukulele!
Please mention in the video that it's for season 447

Prizes! There will be prizes!
I have custom ukulele name badges for the winners in the following categories:

• Welcome to the Seasons - a first time Seasonista!
  • Shiny and New - brought something new to your repetoire
  • Blast from the Past - revisited your first season
  • I've never heard that before! - brought an original
  • Last of the First - posted on the last day of the Season

Winners to be determined by hat from eligible entries.

While you're thinking of new things to do, don't forget to finish off Ryan's Season 446 - Rock & Metal - with a bang!

Season 447 - Like a Virgin Playlist

Happy playing!
--Rob

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm taking Host's Prerogative to jump the gun and post the title track. I'm on Pacific time and hope to be asleep when we tick over midnight in Hawaii. I'll catch up on things in the morning.

Two interesting coincidences with this theme:

1. While I was preparing it this week Scary Pockets posted a (uke-free) funk cover of Like a Virgin. That one's worth a listen to!
  2. I seem to be drawing significantly more sex-channel spam with this one than I have with others. Ugh. I've deleted about half a dozen comments so far and I hope now that the initial rush has passed they won't come back. This may not be completely coincidental. Apologies if the theme name causes problems.

--Rob

Fantastic video and theme Rob! Lot's of options to explore! Thanks for hosting ~

Look how much less gray was in my beard... it doesn’t seem that long ago.

35E2367E-C34F-44C1-B2E5-806A85E929AF.jpg

Great idea for the week, Rob ... hope you'll enjoy hosting!

This is almost exactly what I would have used as the theme if I hosted a season, but I don't really have the time to commit to hosting.

I think we should post the original version as well as the new version of our first season.
How many of us know what the song is without having to look it up?

Oh great theme,i did like a virgin many many years ago i might have to revisit that season.looking forward to This week

Relaised now it was material girl i did for tck,s guilty pleasures week.

Last edited:
This is almost exactly what I would have used as the theme if I hosted a season, but I don't really have the time to commit to hosting.

I think we should post the original version as well as the new version of our first season.

i do.
i first posted a Steve Earle song called 'Sparkle and Shine' in season #1. (yep, 447 weeks ago!)
gonna definitely hit that one up again this week.

thank you for this week Rob. hope you enjoy hosting mate.

I remember, it was "Summerwine". I believe the season was 202. It was duet theme, was fotunate enough that Linda Louden was kind enough to collaborate with a first time participant. Compared to all other videos I have posted this has far more views, more than 10 times the views of the runner up. It is good to be in good company!

I think trying to redo that song is hard.

My first season entry was with or without you for week 34, this is the new recording, chords here are (D A Bm G):

the old version which was a whole note lower (C G Am F), can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYX57l7OH58
It is one of the few videos where I am not wearing a hat, and my goatee was a lot longer ;).
This is also the 10th time I recorded this song for the seasons.

Last edited:

i do
it was Blue Skies for Silly Dave's Ukester Brown season - i think it was season 39 - have participated in every season since then

Mine was 151, Berni’s about breakups and their aftermath. I did a lousy version of Bye Bye Love. I may have missed a half dozen since then.

Sadly, it was the same week Ukey Dave passed. I hope his family is OK.

My first was Doug F' Season 108, turn up to 11. First song I did was a White Stripes song naturally but I did a few others too.

I've had a couple of hiatus', usually coinciding with the birth of a child.

You lot have good memories - I can't remember what or when my first post was - but I'm sure no one would want to revisit it!

:smileybounce:

Enjoy your first (of many) hostings... :music:

Breakups and their aftermath!

I think this Green Day song fits.

Also, it’s my Uke-iversary! Seven years ago today, a Kala KA8 came off the truck and I was in lurve.

Hope you’ve enjoyed and arE enjoying your uke journey, too! Thanks for hosting, Rob.

Top Bottom