Season 447 - Like a Virgin

Strictly for entertainment value. Technically this video, posted 2 days ago, is for another project, Serenading the Ukulele Cat in Catskill, NY. In the summer, the village of Catskill hosts a display of outdoor cat statues to raise money for community causes. Fellow uker, Jerelyn Mason, created Ukulele Cat. A number of our friends have serenaded the cat. I decided it was time for something completely NEW: interpretative dance.

Last edited:
revisiting the theme of the first season i ever took part in - season 70 - three little words - and bringing a new homemade song that fits that theme (three-word song titles)

also revisiting my old upside-down-y bird's-eye-view-of-my-uke camera angle, that i used to do all the time when i first started on the seasons

and bringing something rabbit-y for our esteemed host!

I think everything's all caught up and I'm going to go peek at the moon then go to bed.

Undecided on if Jo or Kev's has the best cat-antics :)

My first season was season 16, "Pre 1950 folk songs from the British Isles". I chose this song. It almost certainly dates from before 1835 as that is when they stopped using the press gang to "recruit" sailors for the British Navy. The press gang had been particularly active during the Napoleonic Wars and created at atmosphere of fear in many ports. Able bodied young men were liable to be seized, bound in chains and dragged aboard ship and required to serve. Their families were mostly never told unless a friend saw it happen. They typically had to serve for seven years. It was a brutal system.
Accompaniment on a baritone ukulele and low D whistle.

again revisiting the theme of the first season i ever took part in - season 70 - three little words - and bringing a new song that fits that theme (three-word song titles)

This is the first song I ever contributed to the Seasons, after lurking for a while. Rick Henderson was the host and the theme was Bob Dylan and Oh Canada (Part II), asking for songs by Dylan or Canadian artists. I re-recorded it later in the week and posted it again because another Seasonista pointed out that the ending had been cut off. I think I ran out of storage on my phone and didn’t realize it had stopped recording. And I never go back and listen to myself, for better or worse. So, I guess you could say this is really the Third Time Around?

Week 31 was my first season. The theme was water...

Morning updates on the Playlist, including more feline upstaging! The cats know who should be boss :)

A WeeOriginal. An instrumental called
The apples have been pressed for cider and now we are waiting for winter waltz.

This is the first song I ever contributed to the Seasons, after lurking for a while. Rick Henderson was the host and the theme was Bob Dylan and Oh Canada (Part II), asking for songs by Dylan or Canadian artists. I re-recorded it later in the week and posted it again because another Seasonista pointed out that the ending had been cut off. I think I ran out of storage on my phone and didn’t realize it had stopped recording. And I never go back and listen to myself, for better or worse. So, I guess you could say this is really the Third Time Around?

Which came first the Beatles Norwegian Wood or this song?:D

This is the first song I threw into the Seasons bucket, for waltz week, Season 167. Version 2 comes live from a campsite in Dorset.

Here is a short excerpt from my first video (Jon's Season 215 "Less Is More" 4.5 years ago), with something new added - the song "For The First Time" (Come prima) by Mario Panzeri, Vincenzo Di Paola and Sandro Taccani

SOTU 447- "Girl Of The Golden West" - is an original song that I've been messing with for a while. This is the latest rendition. Would have liked to have gotten a cleaner sound for the banjolele, but after multiple takes I ended up going back to this one, which was the first.

Which came first the Beatles Norwegian Wood or this song?:D

I noticed the similarity of the two songs immediately. It looks like the Beatles were the influence on Dylan. Norwegian Wood was recorded in Oct. 1965 and released in Dec. 1965. Dylan's 4th Time Around was recorded in Feb. 1966.

I noticed the similarity of the two songs immediately. It looks like the Beatles were the influence on Dylan. Norwegian Wood was recorded in Oct. 1965 and released in Dec. 1965. Dylan's 4th Time Around was recorded in Feb. 1966.

Man, if ever there was a time I miss Randy, besides his sunny brilliance on a uke he had a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of the Beatles...

IIRC, Norwegian Wood came first, BUT, was after Dylan’s famous visit to the UK, where he spent a lot of time with the Beatles. NW also, I think, is at the beginning of the Beatles more experimental phase, which started after that visit and that Dylan thought (thinks?) he didn’t get enough credit from the Fab 4 for kicking off. In 4th Time Around the lyric, “I never asked for your crutch, now don’t ask for mine” is supposedly an open jab at Lennon, and the amount of perceived “inspiration” His Bob-ness thought Lennon was drawing from Dylan’s own style.

Anyway, Blonde On Blonde is still an All Time Album, and probably always will be. Even though, like the Beatles, I don’t think anyone who likes Dylan can have a “favorite” Dylan song, when asked 4th time is always one of the very 1st songs I thinks of. Just as much today as it was 4 years ago and all the time before then to the 1st time I heard it (see what I did there, bringing it back to firsts? Ok, I’ll see myself out).

Last edited:
My first season was exactly 3 years ago this week. It was season 290 hosted by Linda Louden, who I really miss seeing around here. Joined here by Chelle Heart and my friend Richard Blackett. Thanks for the great week Rob ~

Top Bottom