Looking for a strumming effect

mediax

Reaction score
I'm arranging a piece of music for multiple ukes, and want to have a chord playing as a background to the lead melody. Easy enough so far.

What I would like to do is minimize the "beat" effect creating by strumming, so the background sounds something like, say, bowed strings than strumming ukuleles.

I'm sure I could do something like this using pedals or processing (big sustain, flatten the attack on the chords, etc.), but ideally I'd like something that works acoustically (without the need to invest in violin bows and/or lessons!)

I've tried various alternatives to conventional strums (rubbing the strings with fingertips, etc), but no joy so far. I'm sure I'm not the first person who's wanted to achieve this sort of effect, so all experiences/suggestions would be gratefully received.

That's a really interesting video, thanks. But I'm really looking to keep to just ukes.

I don't think that's possible acoustically. Fundamentally, the sound is starting as a plucked string so the sharp attack is just part of the physics with that. If the background is recorded instead if played lived, then a transient processor may be all you need. I've used that in several projects where the uke "punch" was just too much. I haven't taken it to the extreme you're talking about, but I think it's possible. A short delay with a good dose of feedback might help with the bowed effect too.

Have you tried moving a finger very quickly over the strings to make a continuous sound. This is hard to describe, so I'll try to demonstrate if I can find my phone to make a video.

I had a sloppy start here, but you should get the idea. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but. . .

Last edited:
Try a violin bow.
like this?
4fe2a9dd56b24d8e14cf226d9e5b4d0c.gif

Thanks for the video Jim!

That's probably about as far as I've got in my experiments so far and I think it might be what I'll have to end up going with.

To me, it's vaguely reminiscent of a flamenco guitar, which is a nice effect to have, but still more percussive that I'd like.

I understand the point you make regarding the physics of it all - I was hoping that I might be able to get some kind of resonance going in a similar way to rubbing a finger on the rim of a glass (or something), rather than by a conventiional pluck, but it just don't seem to work with uke strings.

Like you, I don't think it would be too difficult an effect to achieve on a recording, but ideally I'd like to come up with something for use live by a uke group. Thanks for the pointers.

Given the limited range of notes in ukulele and it being re-entrant, i suppose some device that allows the down and upstrums sound relatively similar. Like a pick. I would not suggest it to an uke group though.
Myself I use a thumbpick often in what I think works for uke.

Guitar is a different "animal". Upstrums with a guitar don't work well and a thumbpick is then mighty aggressive whereas flatpick works.

I do quite often use a pick when playing melody, mainly to achieve the opposite effect and make the melody line stand out. Then again, that's individual notes rather than chords.

I've been surprised by how many well respected players I've seen using picks.

Top Bottom