Strings Your preference for strings on a Kamaka, and why.

Dohle

Reaction score
For once I'm not asking for actual string advice, rather just comments.

I recently acquired a lovely Kamaka HF-1 and quickly started to test different strings on it. This was mostly because I didn't really fancy the stock strings which seemed too mellow and had bad intonation. I wanted to find suitable nylon strings for the instrument since most of my other ukes have fluorocarbon strings, so first I tested D'Addario Titaniums and later Ernie Ball clear nylon strings. I usually like the Titaniums but for this uke they sounded way too tinny and they frequently went sharp because, apparently, these Titanium strings are extremely sensitive to temperature changes so they tend to contract after just minutes of playing. The Ernie Ball nylons sounded better - similar to the stock strings with a bit more projection - but intonation was still off, even for the first few frets. Just as a curiosity, I decided to quickly test Worth BMs on the Kamaka but results were as I had expected. It's not that they didn't sound good but they made the sound way too similar to some of my other ukes with fluorocarbon strings. In fact, to me the Kamaka with fluorocarbons sounds surprisingly similar to my KoAloha soprano. Obviously not quite as bright, but with fluorocarbons the Kamaka, in my opinion, loses a lot of it's own identity. Since I had a pack of D'Addario Black Nylons handy, I decided to give the black nylons one last chance. To my surprise, this time they sounded really good. I genuinely don't know if it's the strings or the uke somehow settling or something else, but the previous intonation issues were gone. Now that the uke sounds like it's supposed to, I really enjoy the mellower and warmer tone of the black nylons. They certainly don't suit my typical playing style but I really like the massively different tone compared to some other punchy and projecting sopranos of which I have plenty already. (The whole idea for this thread actually came from this fluorocarbon vs black nylon string test I made in another thread here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...KTS-4-or-something-else&p=2244663#post2244663)

So in conclusion, I really enjoy the black nylons on the Kamaka and will be using them, or at least nylon strings in general, on it from now on. I do still want to try clear nylons on it again so maybe it'll be D'Addario clear nylons next time (I'll probably have to use the concert string set since the soprano set is meant for D tuning). When researching strings for the Kamaka, I noticed that a lot of people here at UU prefer fluorocarbon, not just generally, but often for Kamaka ukes as well, something that puzzles me a bit. As I mentioned, to me fluorocarbons somewhat hide the quintessential Kamaka sound which is why I prefer these nylon strings. So what kind of strings do you prefer on your Kamaka, and if it's fluorocarbon, I'd be curious as to why?

I have a six string tenor that I think had GHS black nylon on, and I thought they were fine except for the wound low A. Now I have a set of New Nylgut on with red low A and this combination has made me very happy for longer than a year now. I wonder how just straight Red Aquila would be on a Kamaka.

Fluorocarbon on mine. It's very simple - they sound better.

My HF-1 with Kamaka strings is how I ended up. After trying a few others, I decided to put on the Kamaka strings to remind me what Kamaka thought was the standard sound - and I liked it. I never tried the D'Addario black so perhaps I would like them better. My HF-1 w/ the Kamaka set has great intonation as does my HF-3 with Worth browns. For me the larger tenor allows for more different types of strings to sound like they belong on it. Perhaps it's because I usually do mostly strumming with the sopranos and more finger-style with the tenors and concerts.

Fluorocarbon on mine. It's very simple - they sound better.

But why do they sound better to you? I'm genuinely curious. :)

My HF-1 with Kamaka strings is how I ended up. After trying a few others, I decided to put on the Kamaka strings to remind me what Kamaka thought was the standard sound - and I liked it. I never tried the D'Addario black so perhaps I would like them better. My HF-1 w/ the Kamaka set has great intonation as does my HF-3 with Worth browns. For me the larger tenor allows for more different types of strings to sound like they belong on it. Perhaps it's because I usually do mostly strumming with the sopranos and more finger-style with the tenors and concerts.

I actually should've said that D'Addario Black Nylons are extremely similar to Kamaka strings. They have near identical gauges. I wouldn't be surprised if D'Addario manufactures them for Kamaka. To be fair, I would probably just use Kamaka strings (assuming the intonation would be as good as with the D'Addarios) on my HF-1 if I could get them more easily.

On my tenors, the nylon Kamakas sound good but the tension is really high and a little tough to play after an extended period of time. I think sopranos are probably better. I have fluorocarbons and I agree everything starts to sound the same a bit. I really like Martin Premiums on the tenor when I tried it. I have a set on a concert flea and like it there also but it is a little floppy. Try those! But they are only high G

I like both fluorocarbon and nylon strings on Kamakas. Neither is better all the time. Fluorocarbon tends to be brighter, thinner, and louder. Nylon tends to be warmer, thicker, and longer sustain. Both have high and low tension as well as clear and colored variations. What is best for you really depends on what sound you like as well as what feel you like.

I was VERY surprised when I changed to fluorocarbons with my Kamaka, I didn't fancy those at all. It took away the sound that I adore, I quess that is the famous Kamaka sound. Mellow, sweet and very pleasant. I ordered some D'addario black nylons a week ago and I'm very pleased to hear that they may be a good match with my Kamaka. Currently I'm using some Aquila nylon strings on it and even though I'm not head over heels, I'm quite happy.

Wow, when did Kamaka come out with their own brand of strings? I just googled for these. I remember back in the day Kamakas came with pretty terrible black strings on their instruments where the first thing you did when you bought one was swap them out to something that instantly made the instrument sound 30% better--virtually any string on the market was better. Times appear to have changed!

I believe D'Addario makes the Kamaka strings. About the only thing that is different between the Kamaka and D'Addario black strings is the packaging.
I have tried other strings on my Kamaka and decided that the absolute best sound is the Kamaka strings.leave them on your uke and just play it and you will be surprised how the strings settle in and the uke responds. Kamaka definitely knows what they are doing.

Worth clear low G strings on my HF3. They are a little brighter than the Kamaka strings but the low G balances the sound nicely. I don't know if that would be the same on the soprano.

Wow, when did Kamaka come out with their own brand of strings? I just googled for these. I remember back in the day Kamakas came with pretty terrible black strings on their instruments where the first thing you did when you bought one was swap them out to something that instantly made the instrument sound 30% better--virtually any string on the market was better. Times appear to have changed!

I don't think Kamaka branded strings are a new thing. They are black nylon which means that they are still very divisive. Some people like them and others really hate them and quickly switch them out to something different.

I believe D'Addario makes the Kamaka strings. About the only thing that is different between the Kamaka and D'Addario black strings is the packaging.
I have tried other strings on my Kamaka and decided that the absolute best sound is the Kamaka strings.leave them on your uke and just play it and you will be surprised how the strings settle in and the uke responds. Kamaka definitely knows what they are doing.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if D'Addario makes the Kamaka strings. Aside from the packaging, the gauges for some of the strings are a bit different but not by much. I would be surprised if there's any difference sound-wise between Kamaka strings and D'Addario Black Nylons. I do wonder, however, that could the slight difference in the gauges explain why I had better intonation with the D'Addario strings...

I think this is always going to come down to personal preference. I simply don’t like the feel of the black Kamaka nylon strings, but that doesn’t mean that a lot of other people can’t enjoy them. I do agree that my usual go-to, Worth Clears, made my HF-3 too bright and too similar to my other ukes that I really didn’t enjoy them, much to my surprise. I didn’t like them even after they settled in, so I went hunting for a new set.

I found that Worth Browns actually worked out perfectly, especially in low G. They’re articulate enough to give the clarity between notes that I enjoy from flourocarbons, they have the feel of flourocarbons (which to me is CRITICAL, I’ve never enjoyed nylons specifically because of the feel), but they’re mellow and warm to get the most out of the soundboard and drive the koa the way that it needs to open up. I’m not sure how they would sound on the soprano but I’d imagine they’re worth a try at the very least.

Interesting thread. I really do think this is a personal preference.

I used fluorocarbons on my Kamaka HF-3. My most current set of strings that I used are the Uke Logic soft tension with wound g. I really like that it brightens up the uke. I didn't care to much for the mellow sound of Kamaka strings or even when I tried the worth browns or Freemont blackline. I think using clear flourcarbons created more dynamics and really brought out the sound highs & mids, and with the Low G also brings out some nice resonate sounding lows. I also feel that the fluorocarbons give my Kamaka a little more volume. But that could just be me. Before the Uke Logics, my favorites were Worth CT's.

Again, I think its all personal preference.

Last edited:
Just changed the strings on my HF2 to Uke Logic. I'm not a fan of the Kamaka strings, and have used Martins and Living Water Strings on there.

I remembered why I hate to change the strings on the HF2, but finally got the strings to stop popping out, (really mostly the A string that seems super picky about the knots), and have played it a bit with the Uke Logic strings. Obviously, they haven't settled in yet, but so far, I think this will be my go-to string for this ukulele. The strings have been so highly praised that I expected to be disappointed, but so far, so good. Clear sound, great sustain, spot on intonation for this uke, (which is also picky about strings for intonation.) Sounds good all the way up the neck.

Expensive strings, but since string changes don't happen often, it shouldn't be a big concern.

If I can find the link I will post it here. But I heard a 100 year old + Koa Uke with real gut strings on YouTube today. It was the best sound from a Uke I have ever heard. Round, sweet, clear, harp like...beautiful. They are made by Aquilla, meant for violin, expensive. Your Uke would need a new setup. Might have to try on my gold label Kamaka.

The link is in “nylon fans assemble” Jake playing historical ukes. At about 12 minutes in he plays the real gut strung Uke.

Top Bottom