Guitalele Strings? Clarification on string gauge and tension.

Guitalele Boy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

Newb here trying to do research on what strings to get for my Yamaha GL1 Guitalele and I’ve completely confused myself. I heard that the GL1 does fine with standard classic nylon guitar Strings so I was thinking of just grabbing some student classic nylon D’addario EJ27N normal tension for under $5.

But then I read somewhere a recommendation to use Requinto Strings, and found D'Addario Requinto - Silverplated Copper Wound, .022 - .036, EJ94 and noticed the lower string gauge. I then found a different set also called “Requinto” but they have the same gauge 028 - 043 as the classic nylons. So I’m confused.

What difference would the lower string gauge make? What about string tension - how does that effect tone? Does the string sets for “Requinto” or “guitalele” differ from “classical”?

Looking to change out the factory strings on my GL1. Please don’t just recommend a specific string set without some information as to why you choose / use them? Teach me how to fish so to speak. I truly thank you for your help and reply.

Last edited:
Yes, any standard classical set will work tuned to ADGCEA

I have used to EJ45LP set which is normal tension and a little less squeak. Also the Thomastik Infeld CF127 set is even less squeak with the flat wound basses.

The Romero UG1 is also good. It's fluorocarbon trebles so a little thinner and brighter than nylons

Just put ej27n on my gl1 I would say they are a slight improvement on originals.

Thank you all for your replies, but I have a few more questions if you dont mind. What difference, if any, does string gauge make? What about string tension? Do string sets designed for “Requinto” or “guitalele” make any sort of difference vs standard nylons?

As with most string questions, most of the answers are "it depends". Gauge makes a difference in playing but is largely personal preference unless the size is too large (e.g. to fit in a nut slot or bridge hole) or too small (to cause buzzing at the nut or frets). Tension is again personal preference within reason. Higher tension is louder and generally brighter but harder to fret.

I can't really speak to Requinto strings but it looks like the typical scale length is roughly baritone uke or a little longer. So on your GL1, they would likely give you a bit lower tension ADGCEA or possibly allow you to tune a little higher is you wanted.

One advantage of strings marketed as guitalele is that you can be reasonably sure they will work at a safe tension. There are also some specialty sets available like standard E-to-E, high octave E-to-E, and with speciality materials like Aquila Reds, fluorocarbons, etc.

Top Bottom