UAS is a fickle, complicated temptress!

mikelz777

Reaction score
Is your UAS focused or more fluid and changing like mine?

I've had the UAS itch off and on for quite a while now but I've been able to quell the itch with the thought in the back of my mind that I certainly don't NEED another uke. I've had my eye on uke A for months but it would be my 2nd spruce top. Would it add a new sound to my current collection? Umm...maybe? The look and shape would certainly be different and I'd be buying it from a merchant who did free set-ups. What's stopping me?

Then I saw uke B on AliExpress. It was nice looking and it was cheap. Much cheaper than uke A and it was also a spruce top. Could I justify buying uke B because it was so cheap? I really liked it but there was one small detail I didn't care for and I think it would have bugged me even at that price. I was close to buying it but I let it fall by the wayside.

Then I saw uke C on AliExpress. It too was a much cheaper spruce top and I wanted to buy it but there was one feature on it which was ultimately a deal breaker.

Then I found uke D on AliExpress which was everything uke C was without the deal breaker so I bought it! Two weeks later, it still hadn't shipped. During that time I started thinking about uke A again. I was wondering if I shouldn't have purchased uke A instead of uke D. If I bought both, I'd then have 3 spruce tops which I don't really want and I'd be adding two to the uke pile instead of one where even one was pushing my limit. After 2 weeks of uke D not shipping I discovered that it was no longer available on the seller's site and shortly thereafter learned from the seller that they couldn't fulfill the order and that I would get a refund. Unfortunately, I picked one of the few ukes on AliExpress that was only offered by one seller. I'm now back to square one.

I started looking around again and discovered uke E. It too was much cheaper than uke A. It was beautiful and I wanted to buy it based on the looks alone! The sound sample was much better than adequate but it sounded kind of quiet. I was ready to pull the trigger but the sound sample kept nagging at me. I was about to re-live my past experience of purchasing a beautiful uke that sounded great but was quiet. I loved everything about the past uke but had to return it because it was too quiet and I knew that I ultimately couldn't live with it. As much as it breaks my heart, I don't think I could make uke E work for me.

Hmmm..... uke A is still looking pretty good! I think I'm getting a lot closer to finding that small excuse to buy it!

Last edited:
You know you REALLY want uke A. You've only looked at the others because uke A is a bit expensive. But it's the one you truly have wanted from the beginning.

Give up your Starbucks for McDonalds and go for it...

At least that's how my inner dialog goes. ('Cept for the Starbucks part. We have a coffee shop in town, but it ain't Starbucks.)

I have spruce/rosewood; spruce/koa; spruce/walnut; spruce mahogany tenors and all sound very different. If you want a louder acoustic sound, that's a good way to go.

Good luck.

You know you REALLY want uke A. You've only looked at the others because uke A is a bit expensive. But it's the one you truly have wanted from the beginning.

At least that's how my inner dialog goes. ('Cept for the Starbucks part. We have a coffee shop in town, but it ain't Starbucks.)

I have spruce/rosewood; spruce/koa; spruce/walnut; spruce mahogany tenors and all sound very different. If you want a louder acoustic sound, that's a good way to go.

Good luck.

The thing about uke A is that it is significantly more expensive than the others I looked at/nearly bought but even so, it's not all that expensive or unreasonable and I already have the money. I was able to justify the others I was looking at because they were so cheap. Uke A, while not all that expensive, is just expensive enough to give me pause and I'm asking myself why. In the past I purchased two ukes on a whim due to that UAS itch and I ended up regretting it and eventually sold both. I'm hoping to avoid that happening again. That I'm still interested in uke A after months of looking is a good sign. I think I'll let it simmer a while longer before pulling the trigger and see what might pop up in the mean time.
(Or it's possible the itch will go away! :D)

Last edited:
My UAS is like yours where it changes often. I think this is because I don't have any "grail" ukulele in mind. When I think about my hobbies that creates collections (e.g. watches, motorcycles, guitars, etc.), I never had any "grail" quest in any of them. So I think I'm pretty confident that my UAS will remain "fluid", as you put it.

One thing I've learned over the years it that it is better to just get what you really want than to settle for second best (as long as it doesn't have any negative effects, of course). When I settle for second best, I always end up buying what I had initially wanted anyway. So over the years, I just dropped the act and get what I wanted in the first place.

So, in your case, I think you really want uke A; and now you are given a second chance.
BTW, just curious, may I ask what is your uke A?

I can easily relate. Lately, I've bought some fairly high-end ukes and sold some cheaper ones and every time I think that I'm done buying more ukes, but I'm still constantly trying to justify getting one more. Usually it's because I "need" a uke that's somehow different than what I already have. Currently, I'm contemplating over a cheaper concert uke even though I already have a high-end one, and my justification for it is so silly I won't even mention it here... It never ends...

I've had the UAS itch off and on for quite a while now but I've been able to quell the itch with the thought in the back of my mind that I certainly don't NEED another uke. I've had my eye on uke A for months but it would be my 2nd spruce top. I think I'm getting a lot closer to finding that small excuse to buy it!

I'd never have a uke in mind for months. I might delay for days, but if I waited too long, it would be sold or no longer being built. I'm attracted to ukes that are different. If I see a beauty, I buy it. Of course "beauty" means different things to different people. If a uke just doesn't do it for me, I don't talk myself into it.

Seems to me that your UAS *is* focused. You want uke A. :)
If it has stuck with you for as long as it has, and you can afford it, it makes more sense to go with uke A than a substitute. The substitute probably won't stop you from thinking about uke A.

Whatever you do, enjoy your UAS.

I personally never buy a uke just because it is cheap. Cheap adds nothing to the sound or playability of an instrument. I find it a poor criteria for a purchase. I've done pretty well on ukes. In eight years I've bought four and sold one. But I have the same problem, I like them all. There are just so many out there that I would like to have, if I open the flood gates I may end up like Jerry. It would never end. In the last five months however I've bought two guitars, each cost more than my most expensive ukulele. I am hoping that is not going to be a trend.

My UAS is like yours where it changes often. I think this is because I don't have any "grail" ukulele in mind. When I think about my hobbies that creates collections (e.g. watches, motorcycles, guitars, etc.), I never had any "grail" quest in any of them. So I think I'm pretty confident that my UAS will remain "fluid", as you put it.

One thing I've learned over the years it that it is better to just get what you really want than to settle for second best (as long as it doesn't have any negative effects, of course). When I settle for second best, I always end up buying what I had initially wanted anyway. So over the years, I just dropped the act and get what I wanted in the first place.

So, in your case, I think you really want uke A; and now you are given a second chance.
BTW, just curious, may I ask what is your uke A?

I'm the same as you in that I don't have a "grail" ukulele in mind and I never have. While I'm certain that they are very nice, I have no aspirations to own a K-brand or any other high-end uke. My most expensive uke was less than $500 and it was tough for me to buy that. (But I love it!)

You make a good point when you say it's better to get what you want rather than settle for second best. What drew me to ukuleles B through E was that they had beautiful wood, bling or both. I want and like a nice looking uke. I think my line of thinking and rationalization was that I don't need another uke and feel kinda guilty about adding another one to the collection but if I don't spend much on it then it would be OK and it could be my "beater" uke. :D

Seems to me that your UAS *is* focused. You want uke A. :)
If it has stuck with you for as long as it has, and you can afford it, it makes more sense to go with uke A than a substitute. The substitute probably won't stop you from thinking about uke A.

Whatever you do, enjoy your UAS.

You might be right about uke A and it has stuck with me a long time but sometimes I'm weird about making purchases. For example, a lot of the time when I think I want to buy something I'll put it on my Amazon "wish list" which I review from time to time. Some times I'll buy an item days, weeks or even months later. There's a couple of items on there that have been there for a couple of years! The passage of time and looking at other items is a good measure of how much I really want the item. There are countless times that I've taken items off of the list because the whim passes. I'm glad I figured this out about myself because I've saved myself a lot of money and purchases I probably would have regretted!

I don't know if ukes B through E were even substitutes for uke A, they were just different and would have served slightly different needs. You're right though, they probably wouldn't stop me from thinking about uke A. I'm not burning for uke A and the desire isn't nagging at me but it would be fun to have.

Last edited:
I personally never buy a uke just because it is cheap. Cheap adds nothing to the sound or playability of an instrument. I find it a poor criteria for a purchase. I've done pretty well on ukes. In eight years I've bought four and sold one. But I have the same problem, I like them all. There are just so many out there that I would like to have, if I open the flood gates I may end up like Jerry. It would never end. In the last five months however I've bought two guitars, each cost more than my most expensive ukulele. I am hoping that is not going to be a trend.

In these instances, cheap was my rationalization for adding another uke to the collection thus over-riding my guilt and the non-necessity of the purchase. Cheap wasn't the only factor. Every one of the ukes was nice-looking to beautiful and I was confident that the sound would be acceptable or better. My starter uke was a cheapy and while it couldn't match the sound of my "nicer" ukes, the sound was still quite acceptable and I liked it. I regret having sold it because I still would have enjoyed playing it to this very day.

Buying ukes and UAS is an insidious thing. After having one I was pretty certain I would buy another and stop there. I thought the desire would end with each one after that but that doesn't seem to be the case. :D Guys like Jerry would look at me fretting over adding one more to my meager collection and laugh! My experience is so far back in their rear view mirror that they can't even see it any more! :D

Your purchase history record is better than mine. The most I've owned at one time is six and I'm currently down to five. In around 8 years I've purchased eleven, returned one, sold four and had one the seller couldn't produce. Three of those four sales I regret purchasing. The fourth was my starter uke which I regret selling. I'd like that one back!

Last edited:

Good luck.

I'm very much like Mike in my UAS and yes, I agree Mike wants the A.
But, your last line is a crusher; I thought my two spruce top ukes might be enough, but now I realize I don't need three - I need four (at least!). I'm guessing you're the coach of the National UAS Team.

I think that might be part of what's fueling my UAS. I've been participating in a weekly Zoom uke gathering and I've been playing a lot more lately! :D

Sorry, I was trying to help curb your UAS; I guess that didn't work.
We are opposite in this case. When I'm into practicing, my UAS goes into remission.

One of my favorite things that a music teacher has said, is a comment Jake S. made, something like: "I only carry one instrument, and if it breaks on stage I'm working on my stand-up routine just in case"

It makes me aspire to sticking with one uke, with limited results. My first uke, a concert Makala, gets played a lot because it is cheap and never sees the inside of a case.

I'm very much like Mike in my UAS and yes, I agree Mike wants the A.
But, your last line is a crusher; I thought my two spruce top ukes might be enough, but now I realize I don't need three - I need four (at least!). I'm guessing you're the coach of the National UAS Team.

The arthritis in my hands only lets me play/practice about 3 hours. Any more and they will be hard to move the next day.

So, I have to do something for the remaining 21 hours! :rolleyes:

Now drop and give me 20 browsings! :rolleyes:

I've had the UAS itch off and on for quite a while now but I've been able to quell the itch with the thought in the back of my mind that I certainly don't NEED another uke. I've had my eye on uke A for months but it would be my 2nd spruce top. Would it add a new sound to my current collection? Umm...maybe? The look and shape would certainly be different and I'd be buying it from a merchant who did free set-ups. What's stopping me?

Then I saw uke B on AliExpress. It was nice looking and it was cheap. Much cheaper than uke A and it was also a spruce top. Could I justify buying uke B because it was so cheap? I really liked it but there was one small detail I didn't care for and I think it would have bugged me even at that price. I was close to buying it but I let it fall by the wayside.

Then I saw uke C on AliExpress. It too was a much cheaper spruce top and I wanted to buy it but there was one feature on it which was ultimately a deal breaker.

Then I found uke D on AliExpress which was everything uke C was without the deal breaker so I bought it! Two weeks later, it still hadn't shipped. During that time I started thinking about uke A again. I was wondering if I shouldn't have purchased uke A instead of uke D. If I bought both, I'd then have 3 spruce tops which I don't really want and I'd be adding two to the uke pile instead of one where even one was pushing my limit. After 2 weeks of uke D not shipping I discovered that it was no longer available on the seller's site and shortly thereafter learned from the seller that they couldn't fulfill the order and that I would get a refund. Unfortunately, I picked one of the few ukes on AliExpress that was only offered by one seller. I'm now back to square one.

I started looking around again and discovered uke E. It too was much cheaper than uke A. It was beautiful and I wanted to buy it based on the looks alone! The sound sample was much better than adequate but it sounded kind of quiet. I was ready to pull the trigger but the sound sample kept nagging at me. I was about to re-live my past experience of purchasing a beautiful uke that sounded great but was quiet. I loved everything about the past uke but had to return it because it was too quiet and I knew that I ultimately couldn't live with it. As much as it breaks my heart, I don't think I could make uke E work for me.

Hmmm..... uke A is still looking pretty good! I think I'm getting a lot closer to finding that small excuse to buy it!

Mike, I feel your pain - For me, UAS is like a persistent, tormenting Jock Itch. Stick with one ukulele and the itch eventually goes away. That is why I've recently been selling off several of my ukuleles. I am now down to the "three tenors" -- 2012 LoPrnizi Cherry strung with high G; Collings UT1 strung High G and loaned out to my son-in-law and daughter (handed down to them), and a Kamaka HF-3 Low G. The Kamaka nd LoPrinizi pretty much cured the itch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that shopping for ukes to be self-reinforcing and that it makes me want to buy more ukes. For example, even after I decided on a uke during my most recent uke hunt I came away REALLY wanting all of the ukes that had made it to my short list. I even started plotting rationalizations for buying a second one from that short list. I resisted though and now that I've been playing with my new uke for about a week and not looking online at other ukes so much the temptation has faded (though not vanished). So between the difficulty in deciding on one of many instruments that you can't try before you buy and the natural neurological rush one gets from clicking that "submit order" button I think, at least for me, it's very easy to have spurts of instrument shopping followed by long gaps.

I find that when I am itching to buy a new instrument, buying a new book containing new tunes or techniques can help scratch that itch and re-excite me about playing what I already have. I also know that no matter how many ukes I have, I, for the most part, only end up playing one or two and end up getting stressed about having nice instruments that I don't play. I try to remember this when I get that itch.

I also agree that it is helpful to learning to try to not always be switching instruments. There is something to be said about really learning how to get the best out of a single instrument.

Last edited:
I also agree that it is helpful to learning to try to not always be switching instruments. There is something to be said about really learning how to get the best out of a single instrument.

I agree. I think I am almost done buying ukuleles. My Cocobolo Ukulele has intonation that is pretty bad, above the 7th fret. But, I'm not replacing it. I am looking to buy a local mahogany Mainland uke, give it to my daughter, who can't afford to buy an ukulele, get my old Kala back from her, then put the Cocobolo in LoPrinzi's shop for a new fretboard (some higher frets are placed wrong). I like fiddling around with my ukes rather than replacing them. Of course, that takes knowing a good luthier.....and having a decent uke to begin with.

Top Bottom