Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Chords You Just Can

Default Common Chords You Just Can't Get

What are the common chords that are driving you nuts as you learn? For me right now Bm, Bb and B are killing me. Finding fingerings that come out clean and I can transfer to and from are proving to be exceptionally difficult. I know they will come across eventually, much like E and even G were troublesome. But these are the ones right this second that are oh, so frustrating...

This is a thread for venting, bringing up your own difficult chords, tips/advice and experiences in learning. Have at it!
    Last edited by Mogate; 09-09-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Cordoba 15CM Concert
    Kala KA-P Pineapple Soprano
    Magic Fluke SB-20 Tenor
    Enya Nova U Concert
    Flight MUS-2 Soprano
    Gold Tone Little Gem Banjolele Concert (Red)

I can't recall any challenging shapes. The ones you want to play I usually play with the index finger as full barre and then with an A or Am shape played with middle and ring fingers. If you don't use the barre methods just practice barring all strings at fret 3 (that's a cm7) before you add any other fingers or move to fret 1.

I don't find the B, Bm, Bb difficult; however, what you find easy, the E chord, I find very difficult. I can never get the E to ring cleanly in a hurry.

BTW, those B, Bm, Bb chords can be difficult if your nut is too high, making it difficult to barre the 1st and 2nd fret.

I think I might be too experienced (AKA old) to participate in this properly, but I'm having trouble with the transition from the 9 8 7 11 E chord to the 9 8 7 7 E chord to the 9 9 8 12 Am chord.

OK, I'll show myself out now...

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I think I might be too experienced (AKA old) to participate in this properly, but I'm having trouble with the transition from the 9 8 7 11 E chord to the 9 8 7 7 E chord to the 9 9 8 12 Am chord.

OK, I'll show myself out now...
    Never too experienced! That’s what this thread is about. Looking forward to the day I’m that comfortable playing so high on the fretboard.
    Cordoba 15CM Concert
    Kala KA-P Pineapple Soprano
    Magic Fluke SB-20 Tenor
    Enya Nova U Concert
    Flight MUS-2 Soprano
    Gold Tone Little Gem Banjolele Concert (Red)

I'm having huge issues finding a comfortable grip on the uke to shift to and from barre chords, the uke wobbles, I can't find a way to make it stable.

So I either just go for all barre chords or stick to normal ones.

The 1402 E-chord is a bear. I keep trying to play it but my fingers just don't want to cooperate. (I can do a 1304 Emaj7 slowly.)

Practice, practice, practice.

I play an alternate 4442 E instead. Because I can.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

There are probably lots of chords that I dont fret clean enough, but one I dread is Fmaj7.
    I dont know if that is considered a common chord, but it is common in the songs and keys I like to play.
    The 5557 shape is not that tricky, but 2413 is a finger twister.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    There are probably lots of chords that I dont fret clean enough, but one I dread is Fmaj7.
    I dont know if that is considered a common chord, but it is common in the songs and keys I like to play.
    The 5557 shape is not that tricky, but 2413 is a finger twister.
    On re-entrant uke I usually use a 2410 shape and on low G the 5500 works well for Fmaj7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    The 1402 E-chord is a bear. I keep trying to play it but my fingers just don't want to cooperate. (I can do a 1304 Emaj7 slowly.)

Practice, practice, practice.

I play an alternate 4442 E instead. Because I can.
    I primarily play in E. For E major, which I seldom play because I think in minor, I use 1X02--a nice two finger E major chord. For E maj7, I tend to use 4446. However, to be honest, I almost always substitute Em6 4434 for Emaj7

Thread Information