Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Common Chords You Just Can

FMaj7 in its standard format is tricky (5557 isn't, but if you want the other voicing...)
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    On re-entrant uke I usually use a 2410 shape and on low G the 5500 works well for Fmaj7.
    It is only cheatin a bit to play 2410, omitting the 5th. I must consider that. I forgot about 5500, that is not too tricky - but might be a big jump from the chords before and after as to where each string is fretted. That can sound off to my ears sometimes. Also just the combination of open strings and strings fretted semi far up the neck.

I end up playing a lot of songs in keys where Fmaj7 shows up, when transposing for my vocal range. And often with other F chord variants before or after. I should probably get used to play more up the neck, the transition between the different chords wil be easier if they are all made with the D shapes moved up the neck.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

It is not that I can't play the standard C#m chord , 6444. C#m is not used that often, except in the keys of E and A and their relative minors. B also, but that is a rather rare key.
    I just don't like it.

Whereas 110X gives me that root in the bottom where it belongs the best.

Early on, E Major before I realized it
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Progress report: getting better with Bb in particular but have to extend my index finger pretty far over the fretboard when barring to get it sounding anywhere near clear. Bmin I’m still struggling with though
    Cordoba 15CM Concert
    Kala KA-P Pineapple Soprano
    Magic Fluke SB-20 Tenor
    Enya Nova U Concert
    Flight MUS-2 Soprano
    Gold Tone Little Gem Banjolele Concert (Red)

Quote Originally Posted by Mogate View Post
    Progress report: getting better with Bb in particular but have to extend my index finger pretty far over the fretboard when barring to get it sounding anywhere near clear. Bmin I’m still struggling with though
    All your major and minor chords, you can play with just 3 strings and muting the 4rth.
    I'm not suggesting anyone try get easy and play Bb without a barre, those high root chords need them more in both down and upstrums, starting from Am.

But you CAN play Bb without barre muting the A string, 321x
    Or you can play Bm with x222, muting the G string with thumb.
    That is how we re-entrant players usually also play our weakest chord, Cm, 0333. Just we don't need to mute a string.
    5333 barre chord sounds in general a little better, but depends also of the strumming device, nails or thumbpick etc.

Just learn your barre needed chords with major and minor 7ths and also in general for above chords.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 09-30-2020 at 12:58 AM.

I guess it’s actually barre chords giving me difficulty...
    Cordoba 15CM Concert
    Kala KA-P Pineapple Soprano
    Magic Fluke SB-20 Tenor
    Enya Nova U Concert
    Flight MUS-2 Soprano
    Gold Tone Little Gem Banjolele Concert (Red)

I don't claim to be an expert, but sometimes you have to do what works for you.

I, too, traditionally have problems with various B and E chords. Some of the barre shapes bug me, too. And anything that requires me to span more than 3 frets. I've recently started doing finger stretches to try to get some more flexibility. One of my biggest problems with some of the chords that "should" be "easy" is that the last joint on my ring finger just doesn't bend on its own. Reaching over and fretting a low string with that finger and not fouling the strings below it just doesn't happen! And if I'm also trying to barre with my index finger, IT wants to curl and open the G string because I'm trying to get my ring finger to bend. The perils of not picking up a stringed instrument until after the age of 40, I suppose.

So, Bb. I used to HATE that one, and would just fret something close and fake it, or some some other chord that sounded "okay".

Now, I can do a Bb pretty readily, but I do it in a non-standard way. Instead of barring on the first fret, I'm cramming the fingertips of my first two fingers on the A and E strings. It's weird, but it works! With that, I can easily fret the rest of the chord, and it's easy.

I do a similar thing sometimes when playing a Gmaj7 chord, 0222, which can EASILY be barred. But, there's a song I like that alternates between G and Gmaj7, and it's MUCH quicker to just move that one finger to get from 0232 to 0222. Three fingers all crammed in there... but, getting the job done! I'm sure some players with bigger fingers (or playing soprano) wouldn't be able to do it. Gotta go with what works for you.

Another thing I sometimes do is fret the G string with my thumb. I used to think that was really weird, too... until I saw some old-timers on YouTube doing the same thing on both uke and guitar, and sometimes commenting "it's easier for me to do it this way".

So, definitely continue drilling yourself on different shapes and doing finger exercises and whatever... but, ALSO explore "odd" ways of fingering a chord. The "right" way is not always the "only" way. Think outside the box.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Thread Information