Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternate chord name question

One of my favourite songs, to strum and sing, is "I'm Through With Love". As I play it, it starts with FMaj7.

Try it:- (FMaj7, 5500)I'm through with (Abdim7, 4545)love, I'll (Gm7, 0565)never fall a-(C7, 3433)gain.

If I start with Am, it doesn't sound 'wrong', but it sure doesn't sound as absolutely, gloriously right as FMaj7.

There's nothing like the real thing! (IMHO, of course)

John Colter

One of the main reasons the same chord shape on an ukulele might be identified by different names in a song is to assist the bass player. Typically, but not always, a bass player will play the root note of a chord. So a bass player will play a C note to accompany a C chord, or a C7, Cdim, Caug, etc. But a song may have multiple locations where the chord shape is, for example, 0202, which is both an Em7 and a G6 chord. If the song's composer wants the bass to play an E note for that chord, the chord will be designated as Em7, but if the composer wants the bass to play a G note for that chord, the chord will be designated as G6. This happens a lot with dim7 chords, which can be named for any of the notes that comprise the chord. So the chord shape 1212 can be designated at a G#dim7 (for the note on the G string), a Ddim7 (for the note on the C string) Fdim7 (for the note on the E string) or Bdim7 (for tne note on the A string). The name that's used is to let the bass player know what the root note of the chord is.
    Last edited by mds725; 09-13-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Thread Information