Extended fretboard vs. classic fretboard: difference in sound?

For the record my (12 fret) KTS-4 is definitely louder than my (19 fret) KTC-2.

i don’t think that’s a consequence of the fretboard. I have a KTS-6 and a KTC-2, both with extended fretboards. That soprano also sounds louder than the concert, although the concert is no slouch. I think it is how they are made, and I also think it’s a matter of what frequency range is emphasized on each instrument, so subjectively, a soprano may seem louder because your ear experiences certain frequencies as loud. I have never used anything to test their objective loudness, but as they both have extended fretboards, I don’t think that the fretboard is the issue.

Good points. Thanks! Martin & Co clearly didn't think ukes with extended fretboards were inferior since all their high end models (style 3 and 5) had extended fretboards. The same goes for Kiwaya with the KTS-7 and their Master series.

I'm weird . First off I have to like the way the uke looks , I dont like the look of the extended fretboard on a soprano.
I have one soprano with an extended fretboard and I never go above the 12th fret , above that the sound is
like the tine on a comb , not musical just a "boink? "

On a Soprano my experience is that only the high end Ukes give much sound near the sound hole end of the fret board. I prefer just the 12 frets and a short fretboard. The extra frets and longer board just get in the way of my fingers and maybe stop me strumming as hard.

If you put your fingers inside a soprano uke and feel towards the neck joint, you will find that there is a cross brace under where the extended fretboard would be placed, and the neck block is at least 5/8" thick. That leaves about 3/4" of free soundboard at that point. It is a fairly solid structure. It will not be contributing much to the overall vibration. The addition of an extended fretboard will have little effect on the sound.

John Colter

Sounds logical to me and I’ve been surprised that nobody said it earlier. There are braces either side of the sound-hole which dampen vibrations and there’s not much on the way of soundboard above the sound-hole either.

Good points. Thanks! Martin & Co clearly didn't think ukes with extended fretboards were inferior since all their high end models (style 3 and 5) had extended fretboards. The same goes for Kiwaya with the KTS-7 and their Master series.

Ahead of everything else manufacturer’s make what they can sell. If customers wants fancy extended fretboards and if manufacturers can get them to work well enough to have virtually only happy customers then they’ll be made and sold - and if possible at a premium price.

Last edited:
Sounds logical to me and I’ve been surprised that nobody said it earlier. There are braces either side of the sound-hole which dampen vibrations and there’s not much on the way of soundboard above the sound-hole either.

Rick Turner's Compass Rose ukuleles did come with a cantilevered fretboard design though. No sure the difference would be significant....

Last edited:
Top Bottom