Do you wipe down your ukulele after playing?

Do you wipe sweat off your ukulele after playing?

• No

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
I just re-read the thread and have to wonder how people get built-up gunk and detritus on their instruments. The only clean my ukes on an ad hoc basis: if I spill some Laphroaig on the upper bouts, I'll wipe it off with my sleeve; if some cigar ash falls onto the neck, I will blow it off. As dirty as that sounds, there is no build-up on the ukes. Maybe my kamaka has some fingerprints on its glossy finish, but certainly no gradoo.

I will sometimes give my resonator plate a wipe,as it attracts fingerprints like crazy,but otherwise no.

I do if they are sticky or I spill something on them. Or if I set them down in something, like maybe spilled beer. If I take one to the beach I'll wipe it down when I get home. But seldom if ever because I Just want to show them my love. I have microfiber cloths for the purpose but they seldom get used. I do go over them pretty good when I change strings, which is three or four times a year.

I wipe my three tenors down every day with a damp cloth. I use Gibson Guitar polish when I do this especially in the summer months. I realize this may sound excessive to some. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with melanoma and had to have a large patch of skin over my left eye removed. Being 3/4's Irish and 1/4 Italian I'm fairly light skinned complexion wise. The diagnosis scared me into using sunscreen 365 days a year on all exposed skin. The sunscreen can build up on the finish real fast. The good news is I'm cancer free since 2011. The surgeon did an amazing job and I do have a scar but it's not bad. I figure it makes me look like a tough guy! (I'm not)

I wipe my three tenors down every day with a damp cloth. I use Gibson Guitar polish when I do this especially in the summer months. I realize this may sound excessive to some. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with melanoma and had to have a large patch of skin over my left eye removed. Being 3/4's Irish and 1/4 Italian I'm fairly light skinned complexion wise. The diagnosis scared me into using sunscreen 365 days a year on all exposed skin. The sunscreen can build up on the finish real fast. The good news is I'm cancer free since 2011. The surgeon did an amazing job and I do have a scar but it's not bad. I figure it makes me look like a tough guy! (I'm not)

Congratulations Penuts56! I have a lot of Scots, Irish, English and German in me, so I know what you mean.

I don't know the Gibson Polish, is it a cleaner as well as a polish? If it's just polish, I'd think you'd get a buildup of polish. I use Music Nomad Guitar Detailer or ONE depending upon whether it has a gloss or satin finish. Both clean as well as polish.

Weirdly, Taylor Guitars recommends a Turtle Wax Car Polish for their high gloss guitars with Poly finishes. I don't remember which Turtle polish it is, but they have it on their website.

Congratulations Penuts56! I have a lot of Scots, Irish, English and German in me, so I know what you mean.

I don't know the Gibson Polish, is it a cleaner as well as a polish? If it's just polish, I'd think you'd get a buildup of polish. I use Music Nomad Guitar Detailer or ONE depending upon whether it has a gloss or satin finish. Both clean as well as polish.

Weirdly, Taylor Guitars recommends a Turtle Wax Car Polish for their high gloss guitars with Poly finishes. I don't remember which Turtle polish it is, but they have it on their website.
It's a good idea if you're someone who spent a lot of time in the sun to see a dermatologist once a year. I go every six months since the surgery, just went last week. I'd also say that the surgery I had was the most painful surgery I've ever had. I haven't had many, wisdom teeth and double hernia. They were a walk in the park.
The Martin product is a polish and a cleaner. I didn't know until you mentioned it and just read the label.
Stay well and use your sunscreen!

Top Bottom