Barring

Lioness00

Reaction score
I am trying to bar and my fingers are short and every time I bar my finger comes up at the knuckle when I put my other fingers down does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep my first finger down at knuckle

I am trying to bar and my fingers are short and every time I bar my finger comes up at the knuckle when I put my other fingers down does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep my first finger down at knuckle

If you are an average adult, your finger is not too short.

Try to keep your finger straight and squeeze gently with your thumb on the back. You don't want to press any harder than necessary with your finger or thumb; you'd be surprised at how little force is needed to fret cleanly.

I have a video (see 2:00 mark) that make help you:

Here's other beginner tips you may find useful:

When I was going through lioness' dilemma, I tried everything that I could find and nothing seemed to work. Then I found the one trick that fixed barres for me in an instant: pull down. Just do what you always do normally but instead of fighting gravity, let your hand get heavy and pull it towards the ground. Obviously don't do this to the extent that you bend the strings and alter the notes. This fixed my barre chords instantly. Try it. Maybe it will help you, too.

Holding your ukulele correctly is a big part of easy barre chords. Watch this Ukulele Underground video if you haven't already.

Here are some suggestions you could try:
1. Start practising on the fifth fret. If your action is high at the nut it won't matter as much.
2. Use your middle finger for barre chords. It is longer and stronger, so that should help.
3. Practise every day and focus on barre chords for a few minutes at a time. You'll build up muscles and muscle memory.

Lots of good advice. Jim Beloff recommends holding your index finger down with your tall finger, kind of a fingers crossed thing. I have a friend who does that. I’ve worked out other solutions. Usually.

Keep you thumb on the back of the neck and don’t let the Uke slip into your palm.
Have your thumb about a fret above your barre. If you are barring 5 put your thumb behind 4.
This creates leverage and does away with a death grip.

Top Bottom