Kanilea soprano players, do you mind the 1.5" nut?

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering, if you play a Kanilea soprano, do you find the string spacing hard to adjust between the Kanilea and others with narrower nuts?

Do you like the 1.5" wide nut or you just tolerate it?

Thanks.

For a time, I had an Islander soprano (Kanilea's import line) with the 1.5 nut. I liked it. It was really the only way my chubby fingers could manage a soprano.

@RafterGirl

Tthanks.

Ah yes, it is not just Kanilea with the 1.5" nut. Do you know if the string spacing (which can also be affected by the bridge string gaps) similar between the Islander and Kanilea? (I'm thinking about getting a Kanilea K-1S, but not sure if I want the 1.5" nut since my other ukuelels have narrower nuts.)

How seamless is it for you to transition between the Islander 1.5" nut and the normal 1 3/8" nut?

A question I have - is the string spacing at the bridge similar between a 1.5” nut and 1 3/8” nut?

FYI - Dusty Strings has a beautiful custom Kanilea Soprano for $1195. Saw it in their shop last week. Pictures on their online store.

It’s been awhile since I owned the Islander soprano, and since I owned a Kanile’a long neck soprano. I recall the string spacing and ease of play being the same.

It’s been awhile since I owned the Islander soprano, and since I owned a Kanile’a long neck soprano. I recall the string spacing and ease of play being the same.

I think Kanilea only makes long neck sopranos, right?

Anyway, thanks to the lack of Kanilea's response to my email, my desire to get a Kanilea has greatly diminished.

Nope, they do make regular sopranos. It's just that they always have those 20 frets and the neck is attached to the body on the 14th fret, even on a soprano. Makes the neck look longer than it is.

Anyway, thanks to the lack of Kanilea's response to my email, my desire to get a Kanilea has greatly diminished.

No. They make both. Regular sopranos are much easier to find than the long neck/super sopranos .... at least they were at the time I was looking.

Thanks. I was definitely confused with the 14th fret neck/body join.
I now noticed that they offer the K-1S (regular) and K-1SS (long neck) models.

Top Bottom