Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact of fires?

Default Impact of fires?

The post on the HI lock down made me think of the fires on the west coast, and wonder what impact that has on the ukulele world. (Whatever impact, it's obviously extremely minor compared to the devastation that's happening.)

I think there are some luthiers out that way, right? Is John Kinnard out there? I think there are some others? And, what about music stores like Gryphon, or others that my web browser wanders off to when I have time to "window shop"?

And, of course, what about forum members? Is everyone safe?

I hope everyone is out of harm's way, and doing OK.

What a year - pandemic, fires, tornado in my area took out 2 miles of the town, and on and on. Stay safe, everyone.

I live in the Bay Area. The air is terrible right now so we are staying indoors 24/7 except for grocery shopping. This actually leads to more online ukulele participation and more time with the ukulele.

Kinnard near San Diego and hopefully fine... no fires and just bad, not horrendous air quality. There are luthiers in Berkeley and Santa Cruz. Oregon luthiers may be in big trouble from the fires.

Gryphon Strings and other shops have been shut down, except for curbside pickup maybe, for months due to the pandemic. Pretty much true of all the Bay Area shops as reopening has been slow.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    I live in the Bay Area. The air is terrible right now so we are staying indoors 24/7 except for grocery shopping....
    Not just staying inside, but we can't open windows. I finally rigged up a filter for some fresh air in my office:

Day 1 (I just installed it)
    freshair_day1.jpg

Day 5 (today)
    freshair_day5.jpg

Note the large amount of dirt. Although 3M Filtrete 1900 claims to filter out smoke, I can still smell it so I only use it when I really, really want some fresh air. I.e. it's 5 days old, but not used too often... now you can appreciate the amount of ash in our air.

Wow, what a horrible situation.
    From the photos I've seen, it's quite terrifying for those in the line of the fires, and horrible for those dealing with the smoke and ashes. A lot of devastation.

I hope that everyone stays safe and healthy.

I have to admit when I saw a map of the fires today I looked for any near Ashland, OR and David Ingalls. It looks like he may be near one of several burn zones so hopefully he is well and out of harm’s way.

Quote Originally Posted by pmorey View Post
    I have to admit when I saw a map of the fires today I looked for any near Ashland, OR and David Ingalls. It looks like he may be near one of several burn zones so hopefully he is well and out of harm’s way.
    Yes, he was one of the names I was trying to think of.

This is so devastating for so many. Even that terrible air quality could be so harmful. But the fires are just stunning to see photos of, (fortunately for me, I'm no where near the area, so won't be seeing it in person.)

Sending good thoughts to anyone out that way.

Brad Donaldson is in Cannon Beach, OR and Aaron Keim is in Hood River.

It is bad up there right now. On a scale of 1 - 500 on air quality, Salem (the capital) measured 800 today.
    Last edited by rainbow21; 09-12-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Brad Donaldson is in Cannon Beach, OR and Aaron Keim is in Hood River.

It is bad up there right now. On a scale of 1 - 500 on air quality, Salem (the capital) measured 800 today.
    I asked Aaron recently how they were doing and he said it was smoky but that the fires were pretty far away. Not sure how things are in Cannon Beach.

I would normally be in Cannon Beach this time of year, but with Covid 19, we decided to remain on Kauai this summer. So I have been busy building ukulele and we are well. Thanks for your concern.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Having house plants will GREATLY improve air quality in the home. See THIS article by NASA. That NASA article also lists the 10 most effective house plants.

Additionally, house plants are a significant aid to "morale," in case lockdown and TV's evening news are giving you cabin fever.
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

Thread Information