Flight Fireball EQ-A Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I love that Flight keep taking design cues from other brands while adding some of their own innovations. For example, that pin bridge is clearly a nod towards some guitar brands and Kanile'a as you said but the addition of those red pins is gorgeous. Those offset fretmarkers have been done by Kiwaya at least, probably loads of other brands as well. They've been using that headstock shape for some of their other models as well and I love how it looks. Same goes for the funky side soundport. Also really nice that they've continued using rosewood for the fingerboard and bridge since the CITES regulations have eased up a bit. Here's hoping they'll do a soprano or concert equivalent of this model

I saw a video the other day of Juliana at Flight being interviewed by Alex at Southern Ukulele Store. She explained how she is very focussed on getting design elements ‘just so’ and it being a kind of family collaboration thing. I like that.

Flight ukes are Brightsun ukuleles essentially, a uke brand you can find quite easily on aliexpress and other sites. I guess Flight take the basic model and make some changes (am referring to the royal line here). That’s not a bad thing at all, Brightsun look like nice ukes. I had a Flight Voyager tenor and was very impressed with it, the build quality was excellent. I hope that Flight can succeed and make some changes to the ukes that are more than just cosmetic; I think if they can lighten the bracing/wood thickness a bit the ukes can really start to sing and compete with the better end Anuenue models (for example). As they are, Flight ukes are good ‘bang for your buck’ especially considering some of the crazy prices in the uke world.

Top Bottom