Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Bought a uke on Marketplace but it is defective. Need your opinions, please...

Default I Bought a uke on Marketplace but it is defective. Need your opinions, please...

NOTE: case closed. PayPal contacted the seller and he agrees to pay for the repair.
    I bought a ukulele here on Marketplace, a Kala tenor, from a senior forum member. Seller declared that the ukulele was perfect and like new. I bought it for $30.00 less than what I would have paid to Sweetwater for a new one (I have a 15% discount with them to use). The ukulele arrived two days ago, it had nylon strings that are not my favorite. In the evening, I decided to change the strings and, as I took the old strings off, I realized that there was an issue with the bridge: the right side of the bridge was not attached to the top, I could slide a piece of paper under it. See two photos attached. Probably the seller was not aware of it and the ukulele came in this condition directly from the store. Any way, I wrote to the seller a private message on this forum and asked to return it. He answered that I "might be picky", that a partially lifting bridge is an easy "two minutes" issue to fix, easier than adjusting a nut slot... (actually, my guitar tech to whom I sent the photos told me that it is NOT a two minutes fix...). The seller suggested that either I have it fixed (at my expenses) or, as an alternative, he said that he may accept a return but I have not only to pay for the return shipping cost, I have also to REFUND him for his shipping expenses when he sent the ukulele to me. I find this, honestly, quite outrageous. in both scenarios offered by the seller, I am going to lose money while he does not lose a cent, even if he has the responsibility of having shipped a defective instrument. I tried to find an agreement: I proposed to ship the ukulele back to him at my expenses, but I asked for a full refund of the price that I paid to the seller, with no discounts... At that point, the guy disappeared. No answers, nothing. I wrote him again asking, please, to respond. No, zero replies. I paid the seller with Pay Pal and since this morning the case is in Pay Pal hands. I never found myself in a situation like this. What would you do in my place? Would you keep the uke and have it fixed at your own expense ? Would you accept to return it and pay for both your shipping and the seller shipping, and close the case with Pay Pal ? Or, if not, what else could I do other than hoping that Pay Pal will take a decision in my favor ? Thank you for your opinions.

Kala Macawood Tenor bridge lifting.jpgKala Macawood bridge lifting photo 2.jpg
    Last edited by gerardo1000; 09-13-2020 at 11:47 PM.

A case with PayPal should resolve the issue. They favor the buyer’s claim in most cases.
    It’s possible that the bridge damage occurred in shipping, as it has been very hot in the US, so the seller can make an insurance claim as well,
    Ron

Hmm, as I understand it, you got a fancy laminate instrument for under $200 that functions properly (for the moment at least) but does have a minor (?) manufacturing defect that the seller was presumably unaware of. If it was me, I'd play it, dont put high tension strings on it and not worry about it. If the bridge rips off you can get it fixed then. Or get another uke if that repair cost was too high.

The right answer is probably for the seller to provide a partial refund. Don't get me wrong, you were within your rights to demand a refund with you paying return shipping. That was also a fair resolution. But since that's fell through, I'd live with it. Just my opinion
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

The ukulele was shipped from wisconsin to michigan ( a two days trip with UPS) just a few days ago. Since one week, temperatures have dropped in our region, and are, on average, around 55-60 degrees. Although everything is possible, I doubt that the bridge lifting could have appened in transit.

Are we talking the marketplace here on UU, Facebook, or something else?
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I second Jim Hankses reponse.

John Colter

Marketplace here on the Forum.

I'd also like to add that, in addition to the option of returning the ukulele, I offered the seller the option to keep it if he contributes to the expense to fix it. Also in this case, no answer.

I believe that, in this unfortunate situation, the fair solution is that both the seller and I lose a few dollars, in equal amount. He loses his shipping costs. I lose my return shipping costs, and we are even.

NOTE: case closed. PayPal contacted the seller and he agrees to pay for the repair.

Thread Information