Where in the world

Jerrold

Reaction score
I'm new. My name is Jerry. And old, 67, although I was told yesterday we can 'not' count this lost, pandemic year. I started learning guitar two years ago, mandolin more recently, and even more recently, ukelele because my daughter is doing so.

I am looking to purchase a baritone uke with at least a solid top, and I read about and see demo's of all these seemingly great ones, but then can never find them available anywhere. For example, I have liked what I have seen regarding Kala's, Cordova's, Ohana's, Oscar Schmit's, and these would be about my speed, experience (and price) -wise.

Can anyone point me to a few fine baritone ukes that are currently findable in the U.S. I like solid woods in guitars and mandolins, but also like those with solid tops. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias in advance.

Jerry

Welcome to UU, Jerrold!
I'm in the wrong country to know which baritones are available. However, if you buy from a reputable ukulele dealer, you'll most likely get a great instrument. The dealers that you will hear recommended are HMS (the ukulele site), Mim's, Uke Republic and quite a few others.

Agree on the sites Ms. Bean recommended, with the caveats that Mim is pretty much out of the baritone business and HMS does not have much entry level selection. Mim is great for the more common sizes, and the Ukulele Site has good selection of mid and higher end stuff. Of those three right now, Uke Republic is your best bet for a low-mid end bari: they have a couple of tasty looking Kala and Ohana spruce-tops in the $300ish range. There used to be a very highly rated cedar topped Kala but I think those are discontinued and unavailable.

When I was looking in this range a year or so ago I also looked at the Mainland ukes, and I ended up buying a Bonanza Homestead baritone. The bonanza plays and sounds great, is a bit quirky, and comes from a small builder in Minnesota rather than a big corporation. It is well-reviewed and reviewed well at

Last edited:
Hi Jerry. Welcome! I'm about to turn 69. Yippee!

Baritones don't seem to be as popular as the other sizes of ukuleles. Probably because they are usually tuned D-G-B-E instead of g-C-E-A.

In addition to the previously mentioned sites, PennyLane and Elderly Instruments are well regarded dealers as well. With the Xmas holidays coming up, there should be more models hitting the stores very soon.

I am strictly a tenor player, so I can't recommend any Baris. You might want to check out: www.gotaukulele.com or http://ukestuff.info/ for objective ukulele reviews and other uke-related information.

Very cool you and your daughter will be able to play uke together.

Top Bottom