Guitar lessons.

Rllink

Reaction score
I haven't taken ukulele lessons and just picked it up by watching other people play and figuring out what they are doing. It probably isn't the most efficient route, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Early on I took voice lessons for a while and they were very helpful. Mostly though they were confidence builders. More than learning how to sing, they taught me that I could sing.

Okay, I've been on a guitar journey since the first of the year and there are some things I want to do on it that I can't seem to figure out on my own, so this evening I'm starting lessons. It should be interesting. I'm not an easy person to teach. I am fiercely independent. I found a fellow who I believe is up to the challenge. I'm excited.

Try not to think of a guitar and ukulele separately. If you capo a guitar at the 5Th fret and play the highest 4 strings you have ukulele tuning. In other words, the scale patterns, chord shapes are the same. It all comes down to fretboard knowledge. The greater your knowledge of the fretboard the easier it will be to move around on both instruments. Since you are independent and determined (awesome qualities when learning an instrument) start with any chord and learn its major and minor inversions on both instruments. You will quickly see what I mean. Both instruments are awesome and fun and I will bet you will get enjoyment playing either one!

You echo the advise of many before you, but I am thinking of the guitar as a separate instrument. While I understand quite well what you are saying about the four bottom strings, capoing them off and all, I don't want to treat my guitar like a huge ukulele with two extra strings for convenience sake. I wouldn't be learning to play guitar if I didn't want to learn something new and different. I have recognized that there are a lot of skills and techniques that have transferred over though.

I've been playing guitar since the first of the year and have laid a pretty good foundation to work off of at this point, but my forward progress is slowing to a crawl. There are lots of pot holes that need to be filled. I took my first lesson yesterday afternoon and I'm quite confident that my new teacher has a lot he can teach me. I'm really looking forward to it.

Congratulations Rolli and I agree about the guitar being different then the ukulele. As you say some skills are transferable which is a big help. I have thought about lessons as well........I want to hook up with a specific person but they are not ready yet because of Covid. Please keep us posted on your progress.

We are doing the lessons over Skype and that is working well, better than I expected. I feel like I'm making noticeable progress.

Top Bottom