nut slot files

I bought a couple of sets of carbide pcb router bits. I establish the position with a junior hacksaw using an old jigsaw/sabresaw blade as depth stop and then finess the slots with a USB rechargeable engraver and the carbide bits. The fit is so immaculate there may be issues if people swap strings to a brand with slightly thicker dimensions.

A 0.6 to 1.5mm set of 10 in 0.1 mm increments costs around $20 and covers most string sizes and are perfect for other engraving and inlay tasks.

I bought the soprano ukulele set from Stewmac .020" .028" and .032"....I should have measured the strings first shouldnt I :(

I've used one single round needle file for the last 25 years. I have broke the very tip though, not so good for the very fine strings that are on lutes 'n such things. The LMI pippin file is OK but a thinner version with finer teeth would be a lot nicer.

looks like musicnomad is coming out with fairly inexpensive diamond-coated files, that look like they would be good for setups...I may wait for those

Top Bottom