Synergy Instruments Ukuleles -Update

Can i get in on a Soprano?

Those prices look very fair for instruments made from these materials. Nice.
If you haven't visited it already the carbon fiber section at The Acoustic Guitar Forum would be a great place to stop by. They should definitely know about you guys. I'm not sure about rules for manufacturers there. They probably wouldn't allow pricing listed...but some of the other carbon manufacturers will post there from time to time.
I haven't visited there lately, but I don't know of anyone more enthusiastic about carbon fiber than those folks. I used to post around with some of them on another forum dedicated to carbon fiber that is now closed.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what exactly does the carbon/flax model consist of? Carbon back/sides, flax top? I'd love something like that!

Thanks everyone!

And we have definitely checked that site out and are planning to post soon just want to be careful not to get ourselves in trouble with posting as a manufacturer.

And below are some pictures of the Carbon/Flax model (this is a tenor). You are correct in your assumption though, carbon back and sides and Flax top.

E9DFE7E7-A90F-45F0-B675-3276CBD48590.jpg

EFD5FC03-46E4-4C6B-9075-053220375248.jpg

Did you ever post sound samples of the soprano?

Is there an advantage of the Flax soundboard over the all-carbon instruments?

Are the two materials the same for expansion & contraction with temperature changes?

When will you be accepting orders?

Will you be taking deposits for early ordering?

Quite impressive prices. Full carbon Tenor for $526, compared with $999 from Klos. Sure will be interested in learning what early adopters think of it.

I am looking forward to hearing the soprano sample. These may find a nice niche in the market.

But I am very puzzled by the release of three different materials. How does one decide for the small incremental price changes between the three?
It implies that the Flax/eKoa is the best of the three since it is the costliest. So why buy an eKoa/carbon one instead of an all eKoa for a little more money or an all carbon one for less money? Why pour development into the three instead of focusing on one? The carbon logically competes with a Klos and the eKoa with a Blackbird, but how does the eKoa compare with a Klos? Does one wait for a sound sample of the three different materials in a single size before purchasing?

Kind of confusing...

This is just guessing based on my knowledge of the materials and the price guide. I'm assuming that the pricing is mainly based on material cost. Having owned and currently owning multiple instruments in both materials, and based on Blackbird's descriptions, there are acoustic differences and i would guess durability differences. I believe that the carbon fiber is going to be a bit more durable, but the ekoa is going to give you more of a vintage woody sound. I am curious myself about what the combination would be like. I would love to try a carbon soprano with a flax top!

Is there an advantage of the Flax soundboard over the all-carbon instruments?

Are the two materials the same for expansion & contraction with temperature changes?

When will you be accepting orders?

Will you be taking deposits for early ordering?

Excellent questions!

While there isn't an advantage, there is a difference in sound as the Flax soundboard is not only made from a different material but it also features carbon fiber bracing, something not done on the all carbon soundboard.

With regards to expansion and contraction, these two materials do indeed play well together.

Our plan is to begin taking orders beginning next week with the launch of the new site.

I am looking forward to hearing the soprano sample. These may find a nice niche in the market.

But I am very puzzled by the release of three different materials. How does one decide for the small incremental price changes between the three?
It implies that the Flax/eKoa is the best of the three since it is the costliest. So why buy an eKoa/carbon one instead of an all eKoa for a little more money or an all carbon one for less money? Why pour development into the three instead of focusing on one? The carbon logically competes with a Klos and the eKoa with a Blackbird, but how does the eKoa compare with a Klos? Does one wait for a sound sample of the three different materials in a single size before purchasing?

Kind of confusing...

We've actually been working with both materials in tandem for awhile now and since they both are manufactured in nearly identical ways it has allowed us to develop them simultaneously and since we are comfortable in working with both materials we saw no reason to not release them at the same time. With regards to the hybrid model which is a combination of carbon and ekoa, this honestly came about because we thought that the contrast between the two materials would look unique visually. This model should also be treated as very VERY similar in sound to the all carbon model as the Ekoa on this model is essentially a veneer. This is something that we'll have fully explained on the website.

With regards to the Flax/Ekoa being the costliest, this really comes down to the fact that building an instrument from the Flax/Ekoa is more labour intensive than say our all carbon model. Obviously the Flax/Ekoa will have it's own personality (think warmer and a more woody tone)

So with your example if you had your eye on the all carbon model but liked the unique look of the Flax/Ekoa, you could opt for the Carbon/Ekoa model as visually it will have that unique Flax/Ekoa look without the cost of the complete Ekoa instrument, while sharing the same sound characteristics as the all carbon model.

Thanks and if you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them :)

Chris

Kyle, when do you think you will be able to post video sound samples of tenor carbon/eKoa hybrid and the all ekoa? Heck, it would be great if you got you guy to do sound samples of all three versions of tenor in one video. Back to back so to speak!

Also, curious are you using flax/ekoa from blackbird in California or is the flax/ekoa just a material you can buy like the carbon fibre fabric?

Your pricing looks great very fair.

Cheers

We are hoping to make a sound sample video just like you describe in the next couple of weeks. Will update everyone on the timeline once it is set in stone.

As for the flax/Ekoa It is a material you can buy just like carbon fiber, Ekoa is simply the trade name of The flax material made by Blackbirds sister company.

And thank you, we really want to get carbon fiber/flax instruments in the hands of more people!

Thanks,
Kyle

We are hoping to make a sound sample video just like you describe in the next couple of weeks. Will update everyone on the timeline once it is set in stone.

As for the flax/Ekoa It is a material you can buy just like carbon fiber, Ekoa is simply the trade name of The flax material made by Blackbirds sister company.

And thank you, we really want to get carbon fiber/flax instruments in the hands of more people!

Thanks,
Kyle

I hope you're building up a good supply of these because I suspect demand will be high.

Will it be possible to pay a little more for a special (extra low) setup?

Thanks,
Kyle

Just curious whether there are multiple sources of flax-based material, or if you are using actual Ekoa from Joe's Lingrove company?

Are there any plans for distribution within the EU?

Top Bottom