Sound of a $1000 uke

"Can it be said that your chances of finding a $1000 uke that sounds like $250 uke are better than finding a $250 uke that sounds like a $1000 uke?"

This is getting silly, but I would say that there is a much greater chance of being disappointed in a $1,000 uke.

A $250 uke that sounds like a $250 uke is worth what it cost you, and could be all you'll ever need.

It ain't what you've got - it's what you do with it.

John Colter

Last edited:
"Can it be said that your chances of finding a $1000 uke that sounds like $250 uke are better than finding a $250 uke that sounds like a $1000 uke?"

This is getting silly, but I would say that there is a much greater chance of being disappointed in a $1,000 uke.

A $250 uke that sounds like a $250 uke is worth what it cost you, and could be all you'll ever need.

It ain't what you've got - it's what you do with it.

John Colter

Yes, I have to agree. I'm reminded about a great guitar player. I think it was Chuck Berry who, when someone told him his guitar sounded great, laid the guitar on the table and asked how it sounded now.

This has been an interesting thread, especially since a builder or two has chimed in. I suppose that all five senses could be involved in buying a ukulele, but what started me on my uke journey, and what I still give almost all my attention, was the sound. So, if anyone knows of a $250 ukulele that sounds as good as my HF-3, please let me know. :eek:

This has been an interesting thread, especially since a builder or two has chimed in. I suppose that all five senses could be involved in buying a ukulele, but what started me on my uke journey, and what I still give almost all my attention, was the sound. So, if anyone knows of a $250 ukulele that sounds as good as my HF-3, please let me know. :eek:

With ukes the rule applies that you get what you pay for.

From the prospective of a different instrument and a young player. My son has been playing violin since age 4. Grandma, a strings teacher herself, has bought all of the instruments. So when the time came for a full size violin Grandma had her budget ready. They (Grandma and son) actually bought two violins. Grandma, spouse (also a life long violinist), son all went down to the instrument shop they have been dealing with for decades. Budget was unspecified to me but I think it was about $5000. Son was able to play different instruments. Try different bows. Some violins were brand new....some where older violins. Son came home with one violin in the $350 range and one in the $3500 range. Each complete with a bow, cast, and all. Does the more expensive violin sound better than the cheaper one. Absolutely, even I can hear the difference. It was a brand new instrument but the detail of the craftsmanship is better. Perhaps the wood is better. I believe it was made by a specific luthier rather than a workshop that makes many at a time. The cheaper one is older and what one my call a student violin, likely made in a more workshop type setting with many workers doing different steps of the process. Son keeps that one at school in the orchestra lockers so he doesn't have to schlep instruments back and forth from home to school. He does his lessons and practice at home with the better violin and takes it to school for concerts and performances.

Son had the pick of violins within the budget specified. He was able to choose both. So even with the one that was $350 he was able to pick it from an assortment of violins in a similar price range. Same with the "nicer" violin. I suppose he could have picked a $5000 or a $1000 violin but he did not. He picked the one that sounded and felt right to him. He does like it.

I got the feeling from my spouse that although she does think the our son picked out a quality instrument, it is not the one she would have picked. She has her specific taste in what she likes as far a instruments go.

As far as taking the "beater" instrument to a group or gig or event, I don't think that thought ever occurs to the people that I know that play violins, hardingfele, and similar instruments. The musicians I know always bring a quality instrument to put forth their best sound. As a long time roadie for my spouse we have taken her instruments to where ever they need to be played. We take care of them as needed. I'm as likely to take my Fluke or my KoAhola to an event to play.

So back to the ukulele. Quality and craftsmanship of a more hand made instrument is likely to cost more. The nicest quality and sounding ukulele that I have ever been able to play was a Kinnard. I just couldn't justify the price with my skill level and the family budget. If I ever reach the skill level I won't mind the cost if the money is in the bank. Do some higher cost ukuleles sometime sound "bad" likely some do, but I doubt many custom ukes make it out of the workshop sounding "bad". Will some higher costs uke's not sound good to an individual? Sure individual tastes and likes are what they are but I'd wager the quality of the build is likely still there.

At the end of the day one buys what they like for their reasons and within what they are happy and able to afford. Not sure I find much value in comparing the $300 and the $1000 instrument. Comparable--Same--Different--- One could go on for days.

If one doesn't like what they bought I would certainly hope they wouldn't keep it. I know it's hard in a world where one cannot try before you buy on many things. And it can get costly buying and selling to find something that fits. To me it is worth it to at least do a little bit of this to find a few instruments that I can be happy to pick up and play at any time. I have been able to try some ukulele locally but I have not bought any locally. I've done well with three of my uke's bought online without first playing them. With the new one I got this summer, I'm still working with to see how I like it. Sometimes I take it out and I really like the sound, sometimes I take it out and I'm not so sure. Funny though I bought the $400 dollar package rather than the $1700 package I was looking at as well. Would I be more happy with the more expensive choice, and not think twice about it? I'll likely keep what I did choose for a year and then decide if it's a keeper or not. I did not do this with any of my other ukuleles--I've enjoyed them from first sound. What might that say or indicate?? Who knows???!@!

Hope you can find the instrument that suits your needs at a price point you fine agreeable.

MHJ 42, that is a fantastic post. Thanks for taking the time and the insights.

I have been doing a fair amount of buying, trading, selling, and buying, and selling, and trading. Have lost a bit of money in the process--I have, but I have the good fortune that it does not mean a great deal to me. What I am most lucky for is to have had the change to play some amazing instruments, and to have the opportunity to see what I like.

What has also become clear to me is that if I get a fair price on a used instrument in the $$700 and up range (not "the bar" but for example) I am less likely to lose money than on a cheaper uke which is harder to sell.

Back to my Kamaka HF-1, traded for recently, and boy does playing it make me happy. And in today's world, that joy is priceless.

I consider the difference between bought price and sold price the rent I pay to have had the opportunity to enjoy, try out, and test the instrument or piece of equipment. I have done a lot of buying, selling, trading of outdoor equipment on another site I visit.

Here's a recording of a $10, $100, and $1000 uke:

https://soundcloud.com/user-919961063/sets/10-100-1000-ukuleles

NOTE: the first sound file is the piano, which servers as a reference point. The main thing the ukes should do is sounding the intervals and triads correctly. How does the $10 uke sound to you? The Ulu uke ($10) sounds pretty good when strummed and played finger style; if a note or interval doesn't sound right, another better sounding one follows soon. Here's a sound sample of the $10 uke:

https://soundcloud.com/user-919961063/emedia-ulu-mahogany-ukulele-sound-sample

Just don't analyze the Ulu too closely and everything sound fine.

This also shows that the more skilled a player is, the more difference a good vs a bad uke will sound. Even in a poorly skilled player, the good vs bad uke can sound different, just not as pronounced.

Top Bottom