String Inventory

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Do any of you keep an inventory of your strings? I saw that Strings by Mail is having a sale, so I thought I'd see what I have before I buy any more. I made a list, and it turns out that I have about forty sets of strings - all sizes and brands.

The problem is that I hear someone rave about a type of string, so I by it. I think I've had about five strings break over the past five years, so it's not like I need all these strings. I do like low-G, and I have several of them, ready to go onto a uke.

I don't have a String Inventory but I do keep a String Log. Basically a spreadsheet with Date, Ukulele Name, String Brand, String Model, and Notes (what I liked/disliked about this string and/or uke combination). That's saved me from several repeat purchases of strings that I tried and didn't like.

Agreed. I keep a log of every string change and setup adjustments, whether the result was good or bad. I've learned the most from the bad and don't want to forget those.

I have a folder for each instrument I own.

-Wiggy

I don't experiment a lot with strings and I don't change them often. I do keep two or three spare sets of each that I do use. When I get down to one extra set I get nervous and buy a few to stock up. Anyway, it looks like my ukulele string inventory right now is three sets of Nylguts, two sets of Sugars. I use the Nylguts on two of my ukes and the Ohana cedar gets the Sugars. All are high G. I have never broken a ukulele string in eight years of playing.

I have an excel spreadsheet with amount, data, instrument standard string, combined with reference to all my instruments and which case belongs to which instrument.

I keep a small piece of paper in each ukulele case or bag listing the strings and dates they were installed on.

How often do you replace strings?

I assume, with nylon strings, that you don't replace them until they break or develop a groove a the fret location? Or are there other reasons to replace them?
So, I guess I'm wondering how much playing time is between string replacements?

BTW, thanks for the sale notice; I've ordered a bunch of different strings to try out.

How often do you replace strings?

I assume, with nylon strings, that you don't replace them until they break or develop a groove a the fret location? Or are there other reasons to replace them?
So, I guess I'm wondering how much playing time is between string replacements?

BTW, thanks for the sale notice; I've ordered a bunch of different strings to try out.

When they sound dull or the wound strings start fraying. I never have a string breaking.

When they sound dull or the wound strings start fraying. I never have a string breaking.

Would a nylon string (non-wound) ever sound dull?
Sorry for these simple questions; I'm pretty new at all of this.

I'm not sure but I always change as a set. I guess the nonwound could have intonation problems when worn thinner?

Definitely, yes. The string is under constant tension and both time and amount of playing will cause the string to lose its original elasticity. They will no longer have a bright, resonant sound but will start to sound dull and dead.

I hear people claim that they've played their ukuleles for years with the original strings and they still sound the same. I do not believe that at all. The strings deteriorate gradually but their ears don't notice the change. But if you put on a new set of strings, the differences will be undeniable.

Any idea of the durability of a nylon string vs. fluorocarbon?

I've never broken a string while playing but I have broken a couple while tuning up...and both of them were Aquila Reds! :rolleyes:

Yes, reds are the only string I have ever broken.

Good lord! Y'all nerdy! :cool:

I make sure I have at least one spare "fresh change" pack on hand and along with a "broke a string" pack in my case. Otherwise, I just figure time to next string change + shipping time to make sure I order more with room to spare.

Makes life a whole lot easier if you just settle on one pack you like. Then you buy a bunch and get more when you run out.

I gave away all of my Nylon strings. Except the banjo uke ones.

I have a number of strings that I will try as my existing one require changing.

I think I have to start a string diary.

I usually change strings once or twice a year depending upon the use. I normally treat the fretboard once a year when I change strings.

Top Bottom