Question for players that only play Concert size.

CalBrit

Reaction score
From Shepperton UK. Mission Viejo, CA since 2000
Does anyone here just play a Concert size Mahogany Ukulele? If so, what was your journey to arrive at that size choice and which model did you land on?

The reason I ask is that some years ago I bought a Kamaka Centennial Edition Concert from a local store as it sounded great in the store. However, after a few months of ownership and several string changes I realized it just didn't do anything for me so I sold it (for significantly less). I couldn't figure out whether it was the string tension, playing action or the sound of Koa which is quite different to my three other Ukuleles (1 Tenor and 2 Sopranos) which are Mahogany. Anyway, I am considering getting a Concert size but this time an all Mahogany ($500-$750 budget). Any recommendations from owners? Also be interested to hear from anyone who specifically doesn't like the Concert scale and why.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
LoPrinzi would be in your price range. I got one from the UU Marketplace a while back for the low end of your range, and it has great intonation & a lovely tone. I use brown Worths on it.

Hello
I like concert scale sized instruments. I have a few Tenor and Soprano's as well but find generally if I am picking around I tend to pick up a concert. I have a few different types of woods Mahogany, Cedar, Acacia, Spruce tops. I believe it is hard to beat of nice thin Mahogany for pleasant sound to my ear. Everyone has a different appetite and appreciation for specific sounds.
I have a Kala Elite Concert sized Doghair Mahogany which I particularly like. Model IMHG-C. It is pleasing to my eye and ear. Made in USA Petaluma California. Occasionally there are a few of these offered in the marketplace for re-homing if you are not in a rush. Enjoy your search.

I only play concerts and how I arrived there was simple. I had a hard time smashing my fingers into the chord shapes and playing cleanly on a soprano and some of the reaches on a tenor were too difficult so I landed on the concert size which was just right.

You're aiming a lot higher than where I landed with a solid mahogany uke. I have an Ohana long-neck soprano (concert scale, soprano body) in solid mahogany for which I paid less than $150. I had it strung with Worth Browns and I love that little uke. I think it easily outplays what I paid for it.

I have many concerts (see signature) but I am afraid I can't be much help. I only have one all mahogany; an Ohana CK-35.

There’s an Ohana CK-39 in the Facebook ukulele marketplace for $350. All solid mahogany. With case. No affiliation with the seller.

Apparently there is one on reverb for a little over $300 too. Good luck

Last edited:
I have both koa and mahogany tenor and concert ukes. While I prefer the tenor sizes for performances I like the concert size for every day use both because of the comfortable scale but also because I like the more bright and punchy sound, and I also like my cheap long neck soprano for that reason. My favourite is the concert KoAloha that I use most of the time. I am not sure if type of wood or other design characteristics are more important, but I don't use my luthier built vintage Martin style concert at all. So I can't figure if you don't like the concert because you may be content with tenor and sopranos. What are you seeking that those ukes don't give you?

I can highly recommend the Kiwaya KTC-2 which can be found on offers within your price range.

Last edited:
I got an all mahogany concert Larrivee from someone here on UU, basically because I'm a big fan of Larrivee guitars. The craftsmanship on this uke is excellent, and it contributed to my eventual purchase of a Larrivee baritone. Unfortunately, they're not really making ukes anymore--I think my baritone was one of the last out their door, just before coronavirus times.

Mahogany isn't one of my favorites for tops (I think it's great for back and sides). I could see the appeal of getting an all mahogany Martin/Martin-clone or Collings. The only reason I got all mahogany was because Larrivees are a bit scarce, and this one was available. That said, I later got to try out a couple of their all koa concerts. I considered buying one and selling off my mahogany uke, but when I played them side by side, they were so similar in sound that I decided just to keep mine.

Still, I haven't been playing it very much. It's great, but I have a couple other concerts I tend to play more often. An all koa Kamaka and a spruce and mahogany Rebel. Writing this makes me wonder if I should keep or sell the Larrivee.

Incidentally, I had almost the opposite experience as you with my Kamaka. When I first got it, the intonation seemed way off, and I was disappointed with it. I got it from overseas, and I think it took some time (quite a while actually) to acclimate to its new environment. But now, the weird intonation problem is gone, and it's one of my favorite instruments.

As for size, I really enjoy playing ukuleles of different scale lengths and body sizes. I don't have a favorite size, but if I could only have one size it would probably be a concert since it's sort of in the middle (has a little bit of qualities of sopranos and tenors).

I realize much of what I wrote was subjective, but my experiences lead me to believe the maker matters a lot more than the tonewood. Not that the tonewood doesn't matter. But how much it matters seems to vary from builder to builder, and some builders (even very good ones) make ukes that sound alike regardless of the wood. I still have my preferences in wood, but I've become much more focused on the builder than the material when I look for instruments.

Based on your description, I suggest that instead of focusing on tone wood, you might try to focus on the tone itself.
Not all koa ukuleles sound alike; and not all mahogany ones sound alike.

Spent my first year or so mainly on concert scale ukes, especially my concert scaled soprano, it just worked for me. :)

I have mainly concert & tenor scale ukes, most of which have concert sized bodies. Included in these are 3 solid mahogany, the sound of which I really like - mine are Ohana, they are a tenor scaled concert body, tenor scaled soprano body, & concert scaled soprano body.

Along with these, I also have 2 solid acacia, which sound to me just a little bit brighter than mahogany, a KoAloha tenor neck concert body, & a Kala concert (scale & body).

I have a thinline Baton Rouge solid spruce concert uke too, but don't play it much, although it does have a nice sound.

I still have & use my Kala KA-SLNG, which was my main player when I started, it's my grab up uke. :)

I started out with concert size and right now that's all I have. There was no plan or considerations involved with it beyond the Goldilocks principle. I had a soprano at one time that a friend liked much more than I did. I just sold it to her because she liked it, I didn't analyze it. Two of my three concerts are mahogany. I suggest Mainland. I like mine. They are way below your price point, unless you get one with a MiSi. I really need something with some volume. The sound of mahogany Mainland to my ear is better than the sound of my Cedar Ohana but the Ohana gets a lot more playing time. It projects much better.

Last edited:
+1 for the Kiwaya KTC-1. It was one of my first ukes and it had the magic.

Kiwaya KTC or Koaloha Opio Sapele (not mahogany but very similar in tone)

Top Bottom