Thread: Staining the fretboard of an Ohana SK-38?

Default Staining the fretboard of an Ohana SK-38?

So I picked up an Ohana SK-38 in a trade. I love it. But the fretboard is a little light for my taste. I’m looking for a tried and true method to darken up the fretboard. I think it is walnut most likely. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Read the comments under the listing for the Higgins ink stain. Oh, and if it's like the Higgins Ink used for drawing, it isn't completely waterproof. Even though it's called permanent.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Some fretboard oil might darken it enough .
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

I was surprised when I used Music Nomad F-One Oil on my Martin 1T IZ fretboard and a lot of black stain came off on my rag. The ebony board Martin used was quite streaky.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Many commercially produced ebony boards are dyed these days, and the product stewmac uses is the same thing used commonly by builders. It'll turn pretty much any wood solid black. It's alcohol based and not super durable on it's own but it can be topcoated with the colortone fretboard finishing oil stewmac sell.

It's also sold at craft and leatherworking stores as "Fiebing's Oil Dye."

Thread Information