Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor ukulele with concert neck?

Default Tenor ukulele with concert neck?

Does anybody know if there is such a thing as tenor ukulele with concert neck?
    I know that there are concerts/sopranos with longer necks, but never seen it the other way around.
    I love tenors for their richer and louder sound, and they are more comfortable to hold. But I have tiny baby fingers and concert scale is much easier to play.
    What I want is a bigger body with smaller scale, but I'm not sure if that's even possible.

I believe that Romero makes one: tenor body size, concert scale neck, and overall length of a soprano!

https://www.romerocreations.com/st-concert
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 09-18-2020 at 03:07 AM.
    John

Romero ST....kinda

I don't think these are that easy to find since they don't have a defined name. What you need to look for is just a big bodied concert scale uke. As suggested, Romero Creations have the ST concert which has the same body as the Tiny Tenor model. They also do their "regular" concert which is a really bulky bodied concert uke: https://www.romerocreations.com/romero-concert
    The aNueNue AMM2 is fairly similar with a larger lower bout than typically on a concert but I'm guessing the Romero would be more to your liking.

You could also check out some concert pineapple ukes since the pineapple shape often results in a deeper and fuller sound. At least Pono have some concert pineapple models.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I believe that Romero makes one: tenor body size, concert scale neck, and overall length of a soprano!

https://www.romerocreations.com/st-concert
    Quote Originally Posted by badhabits View Post
    Romero ST....kinda
    Wow, I've never seen this model before, thank you! Looks great, sounds amazing too. But that's not what I had in mind, soprano length is too short. I wanted a tenor-size with slightly shorter neck, it still should be longer than regular concert. Not sure if such a thing exists, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I don't think these are that easy to find since they don't have a defined name. What you need to look for is just a big bodied concert scale uke. As suggested, Romero Creations have the ST concert which has the same body as the Tiny Tenor model. They also do their "regular" concert which is a really bulky bodied concert uke: https://www.romerocreations.com/romero-concert
    The aNueNue AMM2 is fairly similar with a larger lower bout than typically on a concert but I'm guessing the Romero would be more to your liking.

You could also check out some concert pineapple ukes since the pineapple shape often results in a deeper and fuller sound. At least Pono have some concert pineapple models.
    You're right Dohle, I tried googling "tenor with concert neck" and got nothing.
    Thank you for advice, I'll check out both models.

Also your suggestion to try some pineapples is great, I've never considered one, and that could be exactly what I'm looking for. Also I can get one for much cheaper than Romero Creations, that's a bonus too

The term I've seen used is "jumbo concert", with models occasionally appearing from various manufacturers. You might also find that the pear-shaped body, similar to the Vita Uke, is an option with the sort of sound you want.
    "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair." - Samuel Johnson

A few years back I owned a Gary Gill short scale tenor. I had the same issue with short chubby fingers, more suited to concert scale, but the desire for the deeper tenor sound. That ukulele had a great sound and was comfortable to play. However, once I got my aNueNue Moonbird, it had much the same sound, so I sold the Gary Gill. Unfortunately Gary no longer builds ukes, and that was one of his last ones. I got it from Mim. She still carries the MP (Mike Pereira) ukuleles on her website, and he builds a short scale tenor. Mim has one on her website right now. It's a tenor body with a 16 inch concert scale. Most concerts are a 15 inch scale, and tenors are 17 inch. This would be in between. For reference, my Cocobolo concert is a 16 inch scale and I have no issues with it.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

I have a Romero mahogany concert that sounds more like a tenor than a concert. I love it! It's the one that Corey at HMS finished playing and said "That's cheating" because it sounds more like a tenor. He plays it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIRv3Z2Qm-E

Quote Originally Posted by dr. Clover View Post
    Wow, I've never seen this model before, thank you! Looks great, sounds amazing too. But that's not what I had in mind, soprano length is too short. I wanted a tenor-size with slightly shorter neck, it still should be longer than regular concert. Not sure if such a thing exists, haha
    Just to be clear, the overall length is shortened by the shape of the headstock and the shape of the body. The body still aims to be tenor sized and the neck is a concert neck. But if you find this too small, the next size up is the Tiny Tenor.

I don't love these shapes myself, but most Romero ukuleles seem to follow a design philosophy of bigger body paired with a shorter neck. Other than the ST/Tiny Tenor models, I would recommend looking at their regular Concerts, which have an enlarged body. Basically, the scale length is concert, but the body is more tenor-like than other concerts.

Their Signature/Replica has a shorter twelve frets to the body, but it's still a tenor scale, and the fretboard is wide.

You can't just stick a standard concert neck on a standard tenor body. The scale is too short and the bridge placement on the body would be next to the sound hole, too weird. The body shape and the bracing inside would have to accommodate the scale length. It can be done but since there is no call for it, it isn't done.

Thread Information