Tenor ukulele with concert neck?

dr. Clover

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is such a thing as tenor ukulele with concert neck?
I know that there are concerts/sopranos with longer necks, but never seen it the other way around.
I love tenors for their richer and louder sound, and they are more comfortable to hold. But I have tiny baby fingers and concert scale is much easier to play.
What I want is a bigger body with smaller scale, but I'm not sure if that's even possible.

I don't think these are that easy to find since they don't have a defined name. What you need to look for is just a big bodied concert scale uke. As suggested, Romero Creations have the ST concert which has the same body as the Tiny Tenor model. They also do their "regular" concert which is a really bulky bodied concert uke: https://www.romerocreations.com/romero-concert
The aNueNue AMM2 is fairly similar with a larger lower bout than typically on a concert but I'm guessing the Romero would be more to your liking.

You could also check out some concert pineapple ukes since the pineapple shape often results in a deeper and fuller sound. At least Pono have some concert pineapple models.

I believe that Romero makes one: tenor body size, concert scale neck, and overall length of a soprano!

https://www.romerocreations.com/st-concert

Romero ST....kinda

Wow, I've never seen this model before, thank you! Looks great, sounds amazing too. But that's not what I had in mind, soprano length is too short. I wanted a tenor-size with slightly shorter neck, it still should be longer than regular concert. Not sure if such a thing exists, haha:)

I don't think these are that easy to find since they don't have a defined name. What you need to look for is just a big bodied concert scale uke. As suggested, Romero Creations have the ST concert which has the same body as the Tiny Tenor model. They also do their "regular" concert which is a really bulky bodied concert uke: https://www.romerocreations.com/romero-concert
The aNueNue AMM2 is fairly similar with a larger lower bout than typically on a concert but I'm guessing the Romero would be more to your liking.

You could also check out some concert pineapple ukes since the pineapple shape often results in a deeper and fuller sound. At least Pono have some concert pineapple models.

You're right Dohle, I tried googling "tenor with concert neck" and got nothing.
Thank you for advice, I'll check out both models.

Also your suggestion to try some pineapples is great, I've never considered one, and that could be exactly what I'm looking for. Also I can get one for much cheaper than Romero Creations, that's a bonus too:)

The term I've seen used is "jumbo concert", with models occasionally appearing from various manufacturers. You might also find that the pear-shaped body, similar to the Vita Uke, is an option with the sort of sound you want.

A few years back I owned a Gary Gill short scale tenor. I had the same issue with short chubby fingers, more suited to concert scale, but the desire for the deeper tenor sound. That ukulele had a great sound and was comfortable to play. However, once I got my aNueNue Moonbird, it had much the same sound, so I sold the Gary Gill. Unfortunately Gary no longer builds ukes, and that was one of his last ones. I got it from Mim. She still carries the MP (Mike Pereira) ukuleles on her website, and he builds a short scale tenor. Mim has one on her website right now. It's a tenor body with a 16 inch concert scale. Most concerts are a 15 inch scale, and tenors are 17 inch. This would be in between. For reference, my Cocobolo concert is a 16 inch scale and I have no issues with it.

I have a Romero mahogany concert that sounds more like a tenor than a concert. I love it! It's the one that Corey at HMS finished playing and said "That's cheating" because it sounds more like a tenor. He plays it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIRv3Z2Qm-E

Wow, I've never seen this model before, thank you! Looks great, sounds amazing too. But that's not what I had in mind, soprano length is too short. I wanted a tenor-size with slightly shorter neck, it still should be longer than regular concert. Not sure if such a thing exists, haha:)

Just to be clear, the overall length is shortened by the shape of the headstock and the shape of the body. The body still aims to be tenor sized and the neck is a concert neck. But if you find this too small, the next size up is the Tiny Tenor.

I don't love these shapes myself, but most Romero ukuleles seem to follow a design philosophy of bigger body paired with a shorter neck. Other than the ST/Tiny Tenor models, I would recommend looking at their regular Concerts, which have an enlarged body. Basically, the scale length is concert, but the body is more tenor-like than other concerts.

Their Signature/Replica has a shorter twelve frets to the body, but it's still a tenor scale, and the fretboard is wide.

You can't just stick a standard concert neck on a standard tenor body. The scale is too short and the bridge placement on the body would be next to the sound hole, too weird. The body shape and the bracing inside would have to accommodate the scale length. It can be done but since there is no call for it, it isn't done.

A few years back I owned a Gary Gill short scale tenor. I had the same issue with short chubby fingers, more suited to concert scale, but the desire for the deeper tenor sound. That ukulele had a great sound and was comfortable to play. However, once I got my aNueNue Moonbird, it had much the same sound, so I sold the Gary Gill. Unfortunately Gary no longer builds ukes, and that was one of his last ones. I got it from Mim. She still carries the MP (Mike Pereira) ukuleles on her website, and he builds a short scale tenor. Mim has one on her website right now. It's a tenor body with a 16 inch concert scale. Most concerts are a 15 inch scale, and tenors are 17 inch. This would be in between. For reference, my Cocobolo concert is a 16 inch scale and I have no issues with it.

Another "in between" option, depending on what someone is willing/able to spend, is the Kamaka Ohta San:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/kamaka-concert-bell-shaped-deluxe-ohta-san.html

The term I've seen used is "jumbo concert", with models occasionally appearing from various manufacturers. You might also find that the pear-shaped body, similar to the Vita Uke, is an option with the sort of sound you want.
Thank you, I'll try looking for "jumbo concert" and pear-shaped body, that's definitely something to consider.

I have short fingers with tiny fingertips, sometimes I manage to put them BETWEEN strings when playing, haha XD
Maybe 16 inch scale would be fine for me, but I'd have to try it. When I play chords like B or F# on tenor, my fingers take place somewhere in the middle between frets instead of right behind. I have no such problem with concert, it's a perfect size.

I have a Romero mahogany concert that sounds more like a tenor than a concert. I love it! It's the one that Corey at HMS finished playing and said "That's cheating" because it sounds more like a tenor. He plays it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIRv3Z2Qm-E
It does sound beautiful. I'm amazed how they managed to get such a rich sound from a tiny instrument.

Just to be clear, the overall length is shortened by the shape of the headstock and the shape of the body. The body still aims to be tenor sized and the neck is a concert neck. But if you find this too small, the next size up is the Tiny Tenor.
Thanks... So it must be impossible to get a tenor-concert as I imagined it. I'll have to try tiny tenor.

I don't love these shapes myself, but most Romero ukuleles seem to follow a design philosophy of bigger body paired with a shorter neck. Other than the ST/Tiny Tenor models, I would recommend looking at their regular Concerts, which have an enlarged body. Basically, the scale length is concert, but the body is more tenor-like than other concerts.
Checked it out already, it's a fantastic uke. Expensive too, but I guess you have to be willing to spend a lot for a great instrument.

Their Signature/Replica has a shorter twelve frets to the body, but it's still a tenor scale, and the fretboard is wide.
Oh no, wide fretboard is definitely not what I need:) I can barely bar the regular one. Actually I wouldn't mind a thinner fretboard, but I'm probably asking for too much for one uke.

You can't just stick a standard concert neck on a standard tenor body. The scale is too short and the bridge placement on the body would be next to the sound hole, too weird. The body shape and the bracing inside would have to accommodate the scale length. It can be done but since there is no call for it, it isn't done.
Yeah, that's what I thought... But that would be perfect :D

Bonanza does it

I think your best bet is to seek a custom build. There are a number of small custom builders out there ( not as many as there used be) that could undertake such a project at a cost that may be much less than you may imagine. As Black Bear points out, you can’t just stick a concert neck on a tenor body, but you could preserve the bridge position by making a neck designed to attach to the body at the 10th fret. If you need access to the higher frets, you could add a cutaway. Not something a major manufacturer is going to do, but not a major issue for a custom builder.
Brad

I hate that this was bumped with a spam post, but since it was, is a Fluke with a concert neck sort of what the OP is looking for? I always wondered if a Fluke had more of a tenor or a concert body size, or was something in between?

David Hanson is creating one for me. Here is his first rough design. He had to squash the upper bout some to allow 12 frets to the body and also have the bridge placed properly. I also asked him to add a cutaway for a few more frets.

DSCF0004.jpg

The final dimensions remind me somewhat of a Romero Creations ST Concert which has a Tiny Tenor Body and looks quite different from David's.

There is a call for it though or some of us wouldn't be here

David Hanson is creating one for me. Here is his first rough design. He had to squash the upper bout some to allow 12 frets to the body and also have the bridge placed properly. I also asked him to add a cutaway for a few more frets.

View attachment 134665

The final dimensions remind me somewhat of a Romero Creations ST Concert which has a Tiny Tenor Body and looks quite different from David's.
How's the build going? Would love to see the finished uke!

How's the build going? Would love to see the finished uke!
It was the second of my three from David. This is only of the three I didn't have enough pictures of to create a web page at http://ed1.cc/Ukulele/ . It's made of Cuban Mahogany with the usual great work that he does. It sounds almost the same as my first concert boat paddle custom he made for me. The zero fret on this one helped with the low setup I like/need. Since it's not the only uke I play, every time I play it, I forget there are only 12 frets to the body on the G, upper side, because of its larger body and usually miss when moving up the neck the first or second time (slow to learn :) )

It's another keeper for me. Although I may sell many others I have, I expect to pass down Davids' to my daughter and son-in-law some day. The man seems to be able to build anything one wants.

DSCF0003 (Small).JPGDSCF0004 (2) (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom