Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Jam or Not to Jam

Default To Jam or Not to Jam

My local group is trying in-person jamming. They had one session on the lawn of a church, but today they will be in the basement - about eight people wearing masks. I'm not comfortable with that.

Singing, even with a mask, is more likely to spread anything than not singing. I doubt that any of these people has Covid, but still...

I rarely go into a store, and I'm not there very long. Playing and singing for 90 minutes is beyond my comfort zone.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Masks will only help a bit in an inclosed space like that with an aerosolized virus. If you goal is to not get or spread covid, stay way from that basement and other non-heavily ventilated indoor spaces. If you DO go, mask for sure, and limit the amount of time you spend, but that is a super high risk situation. See this article in Nature (one of the best academic/translational journals in the world) https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1
    2003 KoAloha one piece koa LN soprano
    2017 Kamaka HF1 Soprano
    Ohana Ck-70B spruce Top
    Ohana CK 50G cedar/rosewood
    Harmony 1950s birch soprano
    Kimise Freaky Cat concert

No, not a good idea.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC - Pono MBD-CR

I'm with you Jerry. I'm part of a group that has been meeting on Zoom and last week the organizer wanted to meet live outdoors at a park for those willing to come. I sent my regrets. It's still way too soon for something like that. The latest estimation I read on my state is that we won't even reach a peak in COVID cases until the end of October so we're still in the thick of this thing. I'm guessing that there probably weren't more than 5-6 people attending and since they were outdoors I'm guessing they didn't wear masks. I'm sure they were "socially distanced" but when you are singing you are respirating much more than talking and neither is safe right now. As much as I would like it to be safe to attend a live get together it just isn't worth the risk right now.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by richntacoma View Post
    Masks will only help a bit in an inclosed space like that with an aerosolized virus. If you goal is to not get or spread covid, stay way from that basement and other non-heavily ventilated indoor spaces. If you DO go, mask for sure, and limit the amount of time you spend, but that is a super high risk situation. See this article in Nature (one of the best academic/translational journals in the world) https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1
    Thanks for the link.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

We've held two jams outdoors at the church that gives us indoor space. Everyone was spaced 6 ft or more apart (unless they were from the same households). Everyone wore masks. A lot of our group didn't attend because they weren't comfortable in those circumstances, and that's OK. We still do jams on Zoom a couple of times a month.

I prefer the outdoor ones. It's nice to see people on a screen but not as much fun hearing only yourself and the song leader play.

YMMV
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

We are still doing our weekly strum-a-longs on Zoom and I'm good with that right now. A splinter group is going out to a shelter at the lake and doing their thing. I've not attended any of those. Iowa is still a hot bed of corona virus, especially Story County, where I live. I think that some people around here have just gotten so used to the risk level that they have become less aware. But I'm laying low for now. Every spring here we have the downtown music walk. It is a big deal and it gives lots of musicians the opportunity to play. I was all set to do it this year. It would have been my fifth year and I'm kind of a veteran of the festival, so I was pretty excited about it. But it got cancelled. Just last week I got an email from the downtown business association that they are going to hold the music walk in conjunction with an art walk on October 16th and they are looking for musicians to perform in the various stores and on the street corners. On top of that there is a particular women's wear store that I have played in the past years and they contacted me to see if I was going to play there again. Nice to be wanted I guess. I love this festival and it is where I did one of my first public performances, but I'm passing on it this year. I just don't want to take the chance. I have a lot of people that I'm responsible for and I don't want to do anything irresponsible. But it is really tough to turn it down.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Singing is a high-risk activity for spreading the virus. As difficult as it is for many people to fully grasp, uke clubs are now weapons of mass destruction. I have to admit that I get a bit of a thrill looking at people and thinking I could kill you with "White Rabbit." It is, after all, a position of power that ukulele players are not accustomed to wielding.

Alas, power comes with responsibility. Despite the passing thrill of being a truly dangerous woman for the first time in my life, I do not really want to kill anybody. Not anyone at the jam, nor their families, nor people several degrees of separation down the line. I won't argue about probabilities; I do not accept any risk that me attending a jam could help to spread this virus. It doesn't need my help. If my parents could put their lives on hold for four years to fight WWII, I can spend a year playing uke on Zoom.

We must be patient and carry on for a while longer. If we use this time practicing uke and learning to sing better, our jams will sound much better next year.

I went to an outdoor group in Altamont, NY a few weeks back - I was comfortable, about 7=8 feet from the nearest person, and other than when I went across the lawn to show chord shapes to one member - from about 4 feet away - I didn't get near anyone.

One of the members wore a face shield, no mask, but I stayed about 10-15 feet from him.

Overall, I felt very comfortable, but it was outside, in a park.

I'm not ready to join a group inside yet - still don't feel comfortable sitting in a restaurant, so it is all take out.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

It's not worth it. We're still on hold from playing in ALFs. There was a meeting today to determine if we're going back to work for one of our monthly clients, but I'm not hopeful. We are 15 to 20 feet from our audiences, but still....they do rapid test everyone who performs, is your group gonna do that?
    And singing through a mask, have you tried it? It sucks! My students and I wear masks, but I don't have them singing yet, and probably won't until they can strum and fingerpick with efficiency.
    I cancelled a school concert the other day....I for one, don't wanna be around kids right now.
    But we sure have fun making YouTube videos.
    I don't like Zoom, my groups don't use it, but TBUS does, and if it works for ya, keep doin' it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information