Hello from California's Central Valley

TQuest

Reaction score
I’ve been lurking for a couple months and figured it was time to say hello.

Hello UU!

I’ve come to ukulele during the the shelter-in-place – my kid decided in June that they were bored and wanted to try something new and chose the ukulele. So we found a used Kala soprano. We enjoyed the first few weeks of learning so much, and I had so much fun (took 3 forgettable years of guitar lessons when I was a kid) that I went out and got my own ukulele – a Kumu thinbody feather tenor. Then, a couple weeks later, I stumbled upon an opportunity to buy a used solid mahogany Ohana CK-35s concert for a song and I’m really happy I did – it’s now the most played ukulele in my collection.

I’ve tried to learn with my kid by watching YouTube video tutorials by Bernadette Teaches Music, Cynthia Lin, Ricky Somborn and Katie at One Music School. My current fascination is watching Kimo Hussey’s videos and listening to sound samples from Hawaii Music Supply videos/podcasts, UkeRepublic and Mim’s YouTube channels. I still have trouble with any strumming patterns more advanced than the Island Strum and have yet to master chuck or knock while strumming but I’m having fun. Currently working on memorizing and fingerpicking The Star Spangled Banner and just having a good time.

Unfortunately, I’ve acquired the dreaded UAS, and have since purchased a few more ukuleles, albeit at used bargain-shopper prices. I’ve recently learned to change strings and it seems to make a difference on some of these used ukuleles – just placed an order from Strings By Mail a couple of days ago. Started out preferring the tenor size because the body shape felt more comfortable tucked under my arm than my kid’s soprano did, but now I’m starting to lean towards the concert size and also the soprano because of the brighter sound – I think a long-necked soprano (and possibly a long-necked concert) lies somewhere in my future. Recently, I’ve been on the hunt for a used pineapple shape and have also been eyeing the Romero Creations ST Concert.

Wanted to say that UU looks like a very nice and supportive community which made me feel at ease to come out of the shadows. I’m a curious person and I’ve got a LOT of questions about ukuleles, but it seems like questions are welcomed here, and knowledge and opinions are warmly shared and respected. I’m looking forward to learning.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, TQuest!
Looks like you're off to a flying start. Enjoy your uke journey.

Welcome TQuest! Sounds as though you and your kid are hooked! It's a lot of fun.

Aloha TQuest!
Glad to see another Central Valley player here. I am in Ceres (just south of Modesto on the 99) and lead a monthly ukulele jam in Turlock (well, virtually these days). My website is www.turlockukejamz.org if you want to download some free songsheets. My virtua Live Uke Jamz are recorded on my YouTube channel (just search Joe Persons on YT).
Joe
PS I hate to say it, but KoAlohas do not cure UAS, they make it worse...I have 4 of them now...

Aloha TQuest!
Glad to see another Central Valley player here. I am in Ceres (just south of Modesto on the 99) and lead a monthly ukulele jam in Turlock (well, virtually these days). My website is www.turlockukejamz.org if you want to download some free songsheets. My virtua Live Uke Jamz are recorded on my YouTube channel (just search Joe Persons on YT).
Joe
PS I hate to say it, but KoAlohas do not cure UAS, they make it worse...I have 4 of them now...

Thanks for the invitation joekulele! I work in Stockton, so I'm not too far away.

I'm still a beginner, but perhaps in 2021, after all this shelter-in-place is over, and I have improved beyond remembering more than 10 chords.

Thanks for the invitation joekulele! I work in Stockton, so I'm not too far away.

I'm still a beginner, but perhaps in 2021, after all this shelter-in-place is over, and I have improved beyond remembering more than 10 chords.

It’s good to know you are close by! Before the Covid, the Turlock Uke Jamz drew players from clubs all up and down the Valley, Lodi, Stockton, Manteca, Modesto, Discovery Bay, Tracy, Atwater, Merced, Oakdale, and even Mariposa! It will be a hoot when we can get back together again. In the meantime, I do the Live Stream on the second Saturday of every month. I look forward to meeting up in the future. Enjoy your new KoAloha!
Joe Persons
@ukejamjoe on IG
Joe Persons on FB and YouTube

Top Bottom