SOTU#449 All things Fall

Greetings,

In golden sunlight I recorded a cover of “Wake me up when September Ends”.

Ciao

Here's a Waylon Jennings song called All The Soft Places To Fall.

I heard this song for the first time today and put the words on my computer screen with my phone leaning against the computer. The screen went black at one point and I had to tap the mouse pad to turn it on again. I contemplated doing a "Take Two", but decided to let it ride.

all the soft.jpg

Because of that, I sang the wrong words. I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler and I'm gettin' weaker should be I'm a rambler, I'm a seeker and I'm gettin' weaker

There is a song called I'm A Rambler, I'm A Gambler that I used to sing, so that's probably where it came from.

Last edited:
Hello, lovely, autumnal people-Here's a song I would have sworn was entitled "Falling", until I started collecting records myself. The Fab Four do this one up tempo, but I've always wanted to do it like this. Thank you for indulging me.
I've Just Seen A Face
Paul McCartney with John Lennon

This was the first song that popped in my head when I read about the theme. Cover of Falling by Ben Kweller, performed on my sopranissimo ukulele, Freckles. In rendering an earlier, higher quality video, I overloaded my computer and blew half my RAM. Luckily it's an relatively easy fix, but I won't be at full capacity to work until later in October. Anyhow! Hope ya'll enjoy. The drawing was a bit of stream of consciousness.

You had to know it was coming. This was one of the first songs I ever learned on a ukulele. Don't think I've ever posted it though...

Hello, Kev and Marc! This was almost the first song which occurred to me for this week, so I have dragged myself away from log-stacking to attempt it. Hope to be able to do something else later in the week.

Tuesday morning here in rain drenched Houston Texas :) I see some more wonderful entries have been posted. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to join in, and to those of you still working on something ~

Most encouraging to see the posts that have been made already. You guys consistently amaze me! I hope to contribute something soon, perhaps with Kev if “Beta” doesn’t interfere too much. Keep ‘em coming!

Hey Kids! There is a WRAP notice available over on the SEASON 448: MILK thread. Right-O! Carry on!

You'll have to bear with me on this one Kev. You remember during our chat's last week I mentioned Bonfire Night is much more an autumn fixture here than Halloween. Imagine my delight then when you announced this theme and I realised I could shoe horn one of my favourite songs in.

Whilst working on it I also discovered it was released on Bonfire Night 2018. Even better.

Some of you reading this will likely agree that one weakness of mine as a contributor is that I sometimes take the multi=tracking too far. I get too ambitious in what I'm trying to accomplish and it ends up as a cacophony of bad timing and dishormy. I do that sometimes. Other times, I'll end up with something like this, which, except for the L/R stereo balance in places, worked out satisfactorily.

Other times, I'll end up with something like this, which, except for the L/R stereo balance in places, worked out satisfactorily.
Dang it. I was working on an overly-multitracked version of the same song, but I can't compete with that! I'd better take a different approach

Andy's contribution of Neil Young's Harvest Moon reminded me of this tune.
Shine On Harvest Moon by Nora Bayes & Jack Norworth 1908

I just listened to my original posting and realised that I had neglected to tune my uke, (and I wasn't crazy about the sound of the reso-uke on this song), so this is Take Two.
I also had it pointed out that I put too much trust in Google. They provided me with the wrong composers for this tune. I believe I now have the correct ones. Thanks Brian.

Last edited:
SOTU 449 - "Right In The Middle of Falling For You," is a John Hartford song from his 1989 record "Down On The River." Hartford was a musical hero of mine and did much to revitalize bluegrass music. He's most known for writing "Gentle On My Mind," but recorded 26 albums and was a multi-instrumentalist, playing banjo, guitar, mandolin and fiddle. (I'm sure he had a ukulele or two in his collection.) He was one of the most musical people I ever saw and often tap danced while playing. This particular song came to my attention from "Dear John," a Hartford tribute album by Robert Ellis and Courtney Hartman, which I highly recommend. I'm playing my Kanilea super tenor uke using a felt pick that I turned backwards to get a less muted tone for picking.

I first heard this song on Willie Nelson's Stardust album when I was little. It has two verses, but I spared you those. Maybe for the Tin Pan Alley folks on FB.
September Song, Kurt Weill, music, Maxwell Anderson, lyrics, 1938.

Thanks to Marc for co-hosting this season, and thanks to all of you who are contributing and listening and enjoying. Del reached out to me about doing a collaboration on Forever Autumn. So here's our take on it. I hope everyone is doing well wherever you're hunkered down ~

Dang it. I was working on an overly-multitracked version of the same song, but I can't compete with that! I'd better take a different approach

Look foward to hearing what you come up with :) Thanks again for turning me on to Scary Pocket's YouTube channel during your season. Man, they put out some great stuff in a totally original way ~

Top Bottom