SOTU#449 All things Fall

Aloha, everyone ~ Kev and Marc, thanks so much for hosting this week’s song challenge on the SOTU! Here’s my entry for you — an original that I penned last fall, reflecting upon events that transpired from another fall, many moons prior. Along with main vocal and main uke track, I’ve added an extra uke track, two clarinet tracks (tho I only show one track in my vid), and a wee lil harmony track. Mixed for earbuds or earphones (for best sound quality). I hope you enjoy! :) Peace, ~ Chelle

Last edited:
Exciting Fall News in a parody song

I have earth-moving news! (Literally.)

Fall is part of the reason for it.

I thought about writing an actual song about it, but I settled for this quick little parody ditty.

It's fun, and only a minute long. Meets Pa standards, which is appropriate to the news it contains.

Happy Equinox, wherever in the world you are.

't Is weer voorbij die mooie zomer! Sung by and Dutch lyrics by Gerard Cox, based on S. Goodman's City of New Orleans.

I have earth-moving news! (Literally.)

Fall is part of the reason for it.

I thought about writing an actual song about it, but I settled for this quick little parody ditty.

It's fun, and only a minute long. Meets Pa standards, which is appropriate to the news it contains.

Happy Equinox, wherever in the world you are.

Awesome, Wendy! I’m so excited for you!!!! Can’t wait to learn more details!!! Great to see you back on the SOTU — I don’t think we’ve been on together in the same one since 2014 or 2015. Btw, I’m no longer on FB. Hope you are doing well!!!

Howdy boys and girls, I believe the playlist is up to date. I've still got some catching up to do on listening and commenting, which I'll do after teaching my virtual classes today! Highly recommend checking out some of the really fine originals that folks have done this week! Brian (Pa), Geoff, Liz, Chelle, Bernie and Graham have all done original stuff for the week! And I just had to mention that Christopher's cover of a Robyn Hitchcock tune is so so worth checking out. last (for now), but not least, it's a great pleasure to welcome Lyndal N who is joining in for the first time this week! Please take the time to welcome her ~

Some experimental music to accompany
some interpretive dance by leaves
under the direction of a Stiga leaf blower.

When the leaves are falling - song "Langevate lehtede aegu" (1979) by Kustas Kikerpuu, in Estonian.

An old timey tune that I learned from The Greenbriar Boys back in my high school days. I've heard many other versions since, so I've added and subtracted some verses. The uke is tuned gCEG.

Last edited:
Look foward to hearing what you come up with :) Thanks again for turning me on to Scary Pocket's YouTube channel during your season. Man, they put out some great stuff in a totally original way ~

Here you go! I think this is the fourth version now of the song this season and all different approaches!

The Scary Pockets team has an acoustic channel too. No surprise what they covered:

Gd9SMSY.jpg

Andy wanted a reprise of a song I did for Trent's autumn season a few years ago.

Turns out Epiphone do a long-neck, six string version of their Les Paul uke so I decided to give it a go and now my hand hurts.

I used to play this on guitar all the time but without the fingerpicking part because it was beyond me, so I decided to try it here. You've got the only take where I made it all the way through but it's still very rough. Not used to playing an instrument with sustain.

(this is a bit of fun not an official entry)

Last edited:

Lyrics written by my friend Bryan many years ago.

Lost stars tossing on an endless ocean;
Wild waves breaking on an empty shore;
West wind blowing through a ruined tower,
In dusty hallways and forgotten doors.
Every winter there's a new spring coming.
Summer's a myth and we don't know why.
Every winter there's old beauty dying,
And blue tears falling in a crystal sky.

A witch is weeping in the misty highlands;
A druid's dreaming in an endless wood;
A saint is sleeping under the altar;
They'd come here to help us if they only could.
This summer is seeming, but winter is with us.
Autumn is on you when things start to die.
When spring comes again, will it find we've been faithful?
There are blue tears falling from a crystal sky.

Weary and restless, it's too far we've wandered.
It seems such a long way to fare back home.
But we've trod round the earth, and come back full circle,
So now home is ahead, and we'll no more roam.
Every winter there's a new spring coming;
It's there for the winning if we'll only try.
Every spring there's new beauty birthing,
And laughter ringing in the crystal sky.

A third from me. This is a traditional English song that uses the falling leaves as a metaphor for the transience of life. Typical of traditional song, it has a nice bouncy happy sounding melody which I couldn't resist playing on an alto recorder.

I tried to not do this one, then I tried to sing it straight, nah, not for me. Not with a voice for instrumentals.....so do an instrumental I thought, after several attempts at it still four on the floor I thought "sod it " and just had a lark about......this was the result. Mrs CeeJay actually likes it !!

Glad to see some videos still flowing in here gang! Jon has posted the info for Season 450 and it looks like it will be a lot of fun! Feel free to keep them coming here as well if you feel so inclined! Last time I updated the playlist we were up to the mid 60's on entries. Huge thanks to all of you who have participated ~

Top Bottom