Ohana CK-22

bmckim

Reaction score
Looking at an Ohana CK-22 online. Seller says it's a 22Z, but the back and sides are obviously mahogany. They're asking $95. They've posted an amazon listing (by way of illustration) for a 22z that goes for $169, but the zebrawood model is going to automatically be more pricey than a mahogany model, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if I should pull the trigger and/or offer less.

Also: If I were to set up a meet to check it out, how could I (a novice) check it out to make sure it isn't a bad one? I see lots of Ohana reviews, but none of this specific model.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Looking at an Ohana CK-22 online. Seller says it's a 22Z, but the back and sides are obviously mahogany. They're asking $95. They've posted an amazon listing (by way of illustration) for a 22z that goes for $169, but the zebrawood model is going to automatically be more pricey than a mahogany model, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if I should pull the trigger and/or offer less.

Also: If I were to set up a meet to check it out, how could I (a novice) check it out to make sure it isn't a bad one? I see lots of Ohana reviews, but none of this specific model.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Private seller? On craigslist?
If so, I suggest the following:
Before meeting in person, ask for pictures of the actual item. Only if the pics look ok, then call (voice) and talk to the seller. I find a voice call is very helpful in craigslist transactions because you can tell more about a person with a voice conversation than text/emails.

I'm actually going to make a video on how to check out a new ukulele that'll be useful to you; but it probably won't be done in time. You can read

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?147015-New-uke-check-list

for a textual description of things to look for.

As a beginner, I'd suggest buying from one of our reputable dealers, you'll be sure to get a good uke, & you'll be helping keep them in business. :music:

Thanks for the assistance.
Any opinion on the quality of an Ohana concert size?

My first decent uke was a CK-22z from Mim’s. Great beginner uke and very playable having been through Mim’s hands. I can’t comment on how they play straight out of the box. It’s still the only sub-tenor I have with no thoughts of getting rid of (one of two - the flight TUS-35 is also a gem)

I have a CK-22G. Maple and spruce. I like it. My guitar-playing friends have been incredulous that "you can get that much tone from such a small soundboard."
I think they just don't have much experience with listening to other than the very low-end plywood ukuleles.
But it is nice, and as I say, I like it.

Top Bottom