Thread: Ohana CK-22

Default Ohana CK-22

Looking at an Ohana CK-22 online. Seller says it's a 22Z, but the back and sides are obviously mahogany. They're asking $95. They've posted an amazon listing (by way of illustration) for a 22z that goes for $169, but the zebrawood model is going to automatically be more pricey than a mahogany model, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if I should pull the trigger and/or offer less.

Also: If I were to set up a meet to check it out, how could I (a novice) check it out to make sure it isn't a bad one? I see lots of Ohana reviews, but none of this specific model.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmckim View Post
    Looking at an Ohana CK-22 online. Seller says it's a 22Z, but the back and sides are obviously mahogany. They're asking $95. They've posted an amazon listing (by way of illustration) for a 22z that goes for $169, but the zebrawood model is going to automatically be more pricey than a mahogany model, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if I should pull the trigger and/or offer less.

Also: If I were to set up a meet to check it out, how could I (a novice) check it out to make sure it isn't a bad one? I see lots of Ohana reviews, but none of this specific model.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.
    Private seller? On craigslist?
    If so, I suggest the following:
    Before meeting in person, ask for pictures of the actual item. Only if the pics look ok, then call (voice) and talk to the seller. I find a voice call is very helpful in craigslist transactions because you can tell more about a person with a voice conversation than text/emails.

I'm actually going to make a video on how to check out a new ukulele that'll be useful to you; but it probably won't be done in time. You can read

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...uke-check-list

for a textual description of things to look for.

I would ask the seller where they got it from to determine if it had a proper setup originally. If not, I'd buy from a reputable online dealer even if it costs more like:

https://mimsukes.com/products/ohana-...y-ukulele-m977

It's worth the extra $$ to get it setup well.

As a beginner, I'd suggest buying from one of our reputable dealers, you'll be sure to get a good uke, & you'll be helping keep them in business.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thanks for the assistance.
    Any opinion on the quality of an Ohana concert size?

My first decent uke was a CK-22z from Mim’s. Great beginner uke and very playable having been through Mim’s hands. I can’t comment on how they play straight out of the box. It’s still the only sub-tenor I have with no thoughts of getting rid of (one of two - the flight TUS-35 is also a gem)

I have a CK-22G. Maple and spruce. I like it. My guitar-playing friends have been incredulous that "you can get that much tone from such a small soundboard."
    I think they just don't have much experience with listening to other than the very low-end plywood ukuleles.
    But it is nice, and as I say, I like it.

Thread Information