Kala Brand Clearance

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hey, just saw that Kala is clearing out some models and accessories, giving some discounts and free shipping.

Some of their clearance deals are better than others.

Maybe worth a look.

I picked up a cedar topped baritone for $159.99 with free shipping.
Note: There's no setup like Mim or HMS does. You just get what you get. You will likely need to do a setup.
https://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance

Mim also has a clearance sale on Kala. Note: Mim will do a great set up for you at no additional charge.
Unfortunately Mim has no Kala baritones.
https://reverb.com/shop/mimsukes?page=3

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!
I don't even know why, but I just bought a tenor ukulele.

Should I thank you or hate you? :)
Now I'm going to find out why tenors are so popular here on UU.

Hey, just saw that Kala is clearing out some models and accessories, giving some discounts and free shipping.

Some of their clearance deals are better than others.

Maybe worth a look.

I picked up a cedar topped baritone for $159.99 with free shipping.
Note: There's no setup like Mim or HMS does. You just get what you get.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance

NOOOOOOOOO!!! I shouldn't have looked!!!!

I've been wanting that Kala Kiwi Ukulele forever! Even ordered it from Amazon a year or so ago, but they sent me a broken one. It is half price!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I have been wanting a pineapple shaped ukulele forever!!!!!

AND . . . . . .

What to do, what to do?????

If I were looking for a Kala (which I am not and perhaps never will), I am not sure I would buy direct from them. There was a thread on the topic of the company competing directly with their dealers and often undercutting them on price (like this sale would do). I would prefer paying a fair retail price to support those who offer setup and great customer service.

I know KoAloha does not sell direct specifically to not compete with their dealers. Other companies likely do the same.

If I were looking for a Kala (which I am not and perhaps never will), I am not sure I would buy direct from them. There was a thread on the topic of the company competing directly with their dealers and often undercutting them on price (like this sale would do). I would prefer paying a fair retail price to support those who offer setup and great customer service.

I know KoAloha does not sell direct specifically to not compete with their dealers. Other companies likely do the same.

Thanks. After looking around more, if I decide to get a pineapple, I am leaning toward another brand.

Amen, amen, amen.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! I shouldn't have looked!!!!

I've been wanting that Kala Kiwi Ukulele forever! Even ordered it from Amazon a year or so ago, but they sent me a broken one. It is half price!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I have been wanting a pineapple shaped ukulele forever!!!!!

AND . . . . . .

What to do, what to do?????

I have a basic Kala KA-P which I love. However it did need a good set-up and a bit of general work on it to get it to sound and play as good as it does now - bought it many years ago and expect to have it for many more. I also bought an old Lanikai LU-21P - which had some signs of years of careful playing use - and that came pretty good after repair and other work on it ... should never have sold it. I’d considered the other Kala Pineapples and wanted one for a while, but to be honest I decided that their (novelty) looks would end up not being an asset everyday (perhaps occasionally but not everyday) and I had no reason to think that they’d sound any better than what I already have. I hope that my experience helps in your decision.

Kala undercutting their dealers seems just wrong to me but business is business and at times it’s ruthless. As for the sale items there is little that appeals to me in that line-up - which is perhaps just as well as I don’t need more Ukes and import costs would be prohibitive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Graham. Though the Kiwi is cute, I agree that the novelty look would not be an asset. I also don't like those business practices.

I have a Flight pineapple in my shopping cart. Just need to hit the buy button.

Ah, just bought a travel soprano uke. Thanks again for the sale notice.

I see that they still have the KA-SSTU-S at $125

https://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance/products/ka-sstu-s

This is a nice little soprano that should travel well: small, not too expensive, comes with a nice padded bag.

There are some online reviews that worried me (mainly WRT balance, head heavy), but I'm happy to say that it plays well enough for me. I think if Kala lightens the head with lighter friction tuners or at least open back tuners, it'll play better. However, as it is, it plays well enough as a traveler. The sound is subjective (of course), but it sounds as nice as any (full sized) ukes in its price point.

I think kala is aware of the head-heaviness... the laminate mahogany versions comes with open tuners and the newer laminate koa ones come with graphtechs (although many newer styles come with those)

Top Bottom