Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forest Ukuleles FUZZ-S Tenor - REVIEW

Default Forest Ukuleles FUZZ-S Tenor - REVIEW

A really rather special new model, exclusive to The Uke Room in the UK

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/09/...r-ukulele.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Brilliant review, thank you Baz.

I'm trying to figure out how the FUZZ-S sounds, compared to e.g. the aNueNue UT200.

Flipping back-and-forth between the two reviews leaves me suspecting that the latter may have more low-down body -- would that be an accurate characterisation?

It seems as if the FUZZ-S has a thinner -- albeit still very appealing -- sound.

Unless there have been some changes in your recording equipment since 2016?
    Last edited by ikimiki; 09-20-2020 at 09:57 AM.

I think the FUZZ has very slightly less range - there is definitely a fuller range on the Moon Bird. Same recording equipment exactly btw.

But.. theres the thing. The Moon Bird is way more than twice the price. I don't think the tone is more than twice better. At all.

I found this one remarkable for the money

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thanks for the review. I would pay $580.00 for this ukulele, but not double for the Moon Bird. I think that's kinda pound foolish. I'd have a passive pickup added, amped up, no one would be able to tell the difference, I'd wager. Sometimes I think spending big bucks for a uke is just plain showing off. A lot of the performers I know pay way less for their ukes than I have, and my spending has NOT made me a better player.
    I know a guy who has 5 Chuck Moore "Moore Bettah" ukes, and he's a better player than I, but not that much better.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

When you posted the teaser photo of the headstock its shape put me in mind of 1920s / 1930s furniture, but I wasn't 100% taken with it and couldn't quite decide why. Seeing the whole thing makes it much clearer: it's the bright metal of the tuners, as you say. It'll be interesting to see how the black UPTs fit with the overall look; almost certainly much more in sympathy with the rest of the styling.

And what a beautiful sound! It actually makes me glad I don't play tenor or else I fear this thing would be the cause of some domestic strife.
    "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair." - Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    I think the FUZZ has very slightly less range - there is definitely a fuller range on the Moon Bird. Same recording equipment exactly btw.

But.. theres the thing. The Moon Bird is way more than twice the price. I don't think the tone is more than twice better. At all.

Sounds like it is an excellent value for the money.

However, am very surprised about your comment about the "tone not being twice better" That is rarely true of anything of quality or value, including ukuleles. Is this uke five times better sounding than most $100 ukes?

The following thread is a much better discussion on whether going from a $250 instrument to one costing $1,000 or more is "worth it". Your reviews and posts are highly respected here and elsewhere. You may have fallen short with this comment.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-of-a-1000-uke

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post

Thanks Baz -- I really appreciate your first-hand perspective!

I look forward to trying the FUZZ myself. From your comments, I strongly suspect that the The Uke Room has hit the sweet spot with the FUZZ.
    Last edited by ikimiki; 09-20-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Sounds like it is an excellent value for the money.

However, am very surprised about your comment about the "tone not being twice better" That is rarely true of anything of quality or value, including ukuleles. Is this uke five times better sounding than most $100 ukes?
    Oh, totally agree with you - not meaning to suggest otherwise. If pushed though, I don't think the tone of the MoonBird is better enough to justify the price over this

That does look quite nice. And I am in the "love it" camp for the headstock, except that I would rather omit the two cutouts. They might drop the weight a bit, and add interest, but I can't help but look at them and think they introduce an unnecessary potential weak spot if the instrument were ever dropped or fell off its stand.

Last edited by besley; 09-22-2020 at 04:34 AM.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    That does look quite nice. And I am in the "love it" camp for the headstock, except that I would rather omit the two cutouts. They might drop the weight a bit, and add interest, but I can't help but look at them and think they introduce an unnecessary potential weak spot if the instrument were ever dropped or fell off its stand.

I didn't test that resilience!!

(More seriously - no more or less than any other open frame headstock I would wager..)

Thread Information