Jupiter Tenor #77 Build Progress

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've commissioned a new tenor ukulele with Jonathan Dale of Jupiter Ukulele and I will be posting updates as I receive them from Jon.

Here's the first "official notification" that my new uke is "on the bench" and construction is ready to begin. The specifications are listed on the work order.

50367771282_bd65b0ddec_b.jpg

This is going to be fun! We're looking at a December 2020 completion date.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Always love a good build thread. (Link isn't working though)

yes, i see it now. Great choices - except maybe high G. :p

I'll be curious to hear what you think about the 10" radius. Mine are both 16"

Well, since I've got two tenors right now strung with Low G, I thought I'd mix it up a bit. And if I don't like it that way, it only takes five minutes to swap in a Low G string.

I got to play one of his tenors with the 10" fretboard radius and I found it quite comfortable.

Very nice - looking forward to watching the progress...

Jon has been busy today!

"Sides bent, end-blocks glued in, top and back thicknessed. The 'wet' spot on the top is shellac to stabilize the redwood fibers while I cut the rosette."

p3990806665-5.jpg

Last edited:
This is exiting! Almost like having a new baby.

Love those woods. That's going to be a real looker.

Love those woods. That's going to be a real looker.

Thanks, I'm sure that nothing Jon builds is going to look bad!

BTW, your signature quote reminds me of this one by physicist Richard Feyman:

“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing — that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.”

Very cool "hook" rosette. Love the color. That sycamore back has fantastic grain.

Sycamore is an unusual wood. It must be precisely cut at a certain angle to display that figuring, otherwise, it's nice firewood. :rolleyes:

Jon has made several instruments with sycamore and the finished results are spectacular. They sound pretty nice, too. Here's an example:

p3994058421-5.jpg

Sycamore is an unusual wood. It must be precisely cut at a certain angle to display that figuring, otherwise, it's nice firewood. :rolleyes:

Jon has made several instruments with sycamore and the finished results are spectacular. They sound pretty nice, too. Here's an example:

p3994058421-5.jpg

Wow is that beautiful

Top Bottom