Jupiter Tenor #77 Build Progress

I've commissioned a new tenor ukulele with Jonathan Dale of Jupiter Ukulele and I will be posting updates as I receive them from Jon.

Here's the first "official notification" that my new uke is "on the bench" and construction is ready to begin. The specifications are listed on the work order.

50367771282_bd65b0ddec_b.jpg

This is going to be fun! We're looking at a December 2020 completion date.

Nice. He makes nice ukes.

Wow! That's going to be a beauty!
The streaky redwood looks amazing on top. Nice contrast to the grain pattern of the sycamore.

"I don't do my frets in the 'usual' way. I do them individually, before the neck is shaped. This allows me to both round and polish the ends, and to undercut the tang, both of which make (in my opinion) a much cleaner job of the fret ends along the edge of the fingerboard. Takes a bit longer, but yields a better result (again, my opinion)." - Jonathan Dale, Jupiter Ukes

5mZubXH.png

Absolutely beautiful!!
Have you ever played, or do you know what to expect from the sound of a sycamore w/ redwood top ukulele? (Of course, assuming everything else is equal - which is never true) I'm guessing the sound will match the looks!

Absolutely beautiful!!
Have you ever played, or do you know what to expect from the sound of a sycamore w/ redwood top ukulele? (Of course, assuming everything else is equal - which is never true) I'm guessing the sound will match the looks!

I have not played a sycamore uke but I did get to try one of Jon's ukes with a redwood top and spalted tamarind back and sides (#67) and it sounded terrific. I believe that most of the sound of an instrument comes from the top (and the skill of the builder). I'm sure this one is going to sound great, also. I talked to a number of people that own Jupiter ukes and guitaleles before I committed to this one, and everyone was thrilled with the sound.

I'm usually not one for blingy instruments but that soundhole rosette is gorgeous.

I'm usually not one for blingy instruments but that soundhole rosette is gorgeous.

Thanks! Jon usually does his rosettes with abalone inlay, but I found that too much of it distracts from the wood. This is made from a reconstituted stone material and I think it strikes a happy balance.

It ain't finished till it's finished

"Finishing started. Now its apply-wait-apply-wait-sand-apply-wait..."
(mine is the body and neck in the middle)

D5C67a5.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, and children of all ages, I present to you Jupiter Ukulele Tenor #77.

7dVfZlq.png

I just got a mail from Jon telling me that it's ready. Sometime in the next few days, I'll drive out to Bethlehem, PA to pick it up (and pay him!). Once I get it home and get over my excitement, I'll post a proper NUD message and more photos.

Here's a recap:
- Watertank Redwood Top
- Pennsylvania Sycamore Back and Sides
- Brazilian Ebony Fretboard (radiused) and Saddle
- Mahogany Neck
- Black Bog Oak Binding and Heel Plate
- Side Sound Port
- Green Recon Stone Spiral Rosette
- Black and White Purfling
- Dogwood Root Burl Headplate
- Gotoh UPT Planetary Tuners
- MiSi Pickup

Oh that is stunningly handsome. Great material selection on the rosette rosette too.

Bet it will sound just as wonderful as it looks.

The streaking on the redwood is stunning. Jon outdid himself on that one! I

The streaking on the redwood is stunning. Jon outdid himself on that one! I
I got to pick through a stack of redwood tops. Some had little or no streaking, but there were a couple that stood out. I figured go big or go home! This is definitely an instrument that's going to stand out in a crowd. :cool:

Top Bottom