FS: Toby Chennell Custom Archtop Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennyhana22

Reaction score
Having become a tenor devotee, I'm moving on my custom Jazzbox archtop soprano to fund a new project.

It was made for me by Toby in 2015 and is intentionally 'bling-free'! - I wanted to link to the uke on Toby's website, but for some reason the site is down...

It's non-bookmatched, all mahogany, with simply an abalone side dot at fret 7. I upgraded the tuners to Gotoh planetary but will send the originals too. The case is custom made by Toby and although quite a bit of the paint has come off the metal fittings, the changes are purely cosmetic and the case is as wonderful and bomb-proof as when I got it!

I do think that it would benefit from a bit of a set up as I think the action is a bit high, and I also think that, much as I like them on other ukes, the Aquila Reds are maybe not the best set for this little beast.

I've never been one to try to squeeze out the most I can from selling and, as said, I am moving this on as I just don't play sopranos that much now (though I will never sell my Pete Howlett sop!).

So, price represents a desire to move the uke to someone who will love and play it. Commissioned new, the uke and case would cost at least 700.00 GBP.

SOLD

I am in the UK. Apologies that some of the images are not correctly orientated. I did try!!

Ben
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
there's something you don't see every day. :eek:

what is the scale length?

Any idea what shipping to U.S. would be or is that even an option - asking for a friend. :nana:

there's something you don't see every day. :eek:

what is the scale length?

Any idea what shipping to U.S. would be or is that even an option - asking for a friend. :nana:

Hey Jim!

I always catch your posts...don't you have enough 'ukulele?!

Scale length is 14" and a quick online enquiry would put shipping to the US at $45-50 USD.

Ben

Interesting looking uke. How was the deep, curve (front and back) achieved? Was it carved from the solid?

John Colter

Interesting looking uke. How was the deep, curve (front and back) achieved? Was it carved from the solid?

John Colter

Hi John

Yes, it is carved into the archtop and back from solid pieces of mahogany, achieving the same sort of thickness gauge as a flat top/back.

Ben

Any sound clips? I only ask because it is very unlike any other instrument

I haven't EDW, sorry. I have tried to record my ukes before and only really have a phone to do it. They sound horrendous (notwithstanding my playing!)...so it's just not worth me trying.

It sounds very much like a typical soprano, actually. That 'right' plinky sound. Quite loud as the sound resonates in the larger body cavity. As said, it could do with a bit of a set up. The price reflects that too!

Ben

Picture of the rosewood tailpiece and indication of how to restring - simple knotted end then feed up through a neat channel in the top of the tailpiece, over the fixed bridge and up to the nut.

Ben

IMG_1049.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom